Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

so as some of you might know i was messing around with a 3000W 120V generator a while ago with my inverter welder seeing just how what the limits were with it and i settle on about 115A being the max with the AHP160ST welder..

so i did upgrade my generator to a 5000W generator with 230V output and i can say for certian now it will let the AHP got to its 160A max and it dose not overload the engine at all.
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Well that's nice. Happy welding with that now.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
jroark
    Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:39 pm

Funny, I just posted the same scenario about my Lincoln 210 MP. I upgraded to a 7500 watt from a 5000watt generator. Good for us :D
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I thought you both were the same people because I didn't read the name and just saw the "guide" tag under your name and read generator.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Farmer! You need to slow down just a bit. Beter to be right once then wrong three times.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

jroark wrote:Funny, I just posted the same scenario about my Lincoln 210 MP. I upgraded to a 7500 watt from a 5000watt generator. Good for us :D
haha yeah always good to go bigger when your dealing with welders i mean i knew i could do 115A with the old one and that was about all i needed for most welding i do how ever if been finding that if i could only have a few more amps thought alot more.. hence the upgrade. only thing i dont like is the fact the new 5000W unit eats gas a bit more then the old 3000W unit. so i am going to keep it around for the smaller jobs.. actualy this is one of the reasons why the Miller 2E gets kept in the shop is due to the fact it eats gas like a PIG and dose something with the oil not sure if it leaks it or eats it or both but.. darn thing makes it disappear at a good rate..
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I tried my 7kW generator just to see how it behaved, and it does good on TIG, decent on MIG, but Stick welding can bring it to it's knees with the huge in-rush when I first strike the arc and the hot-start kicks it up a notch. 125A with a 35% hot-start will eat up the whole 7 kW for 2 seconds upon arc strike. Then it settles down to about 60% of total power available when the amperage drops down to 125A.
Poleframer
    Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:47 am

Miller Legend AEAD 200le here, only a 5000 watt generator, but it will stick weld 200 amps all day long, and into the night :D