General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
weldkid22
    Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:00 am

I am a new welder, looking to get into a career in some type of welding, I have learned all process and am pretty decent( can always use more practice though) my question though is what type of welding is in high demand and where can I get the best pay? I am curious as to how much welder actually make vs. what is said online.
thanks guy
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

weldkid22 wrote:I am a new welder, looking to get into a career in some type of welding, I have learned all process and am pretty decent( can always use more practice though) my question though is what type of welding is in high demand and where can I get the best pay? I am curious as to how much welder actually make vs. what is said online.
thanks guy
Money aside, what is it that you feel you would enjoy welding every day for the next.... Week we'll say? Month? Year? Decade?

If the answer is pipe, get with your local Boiler maker and Steamfitters chapter and put in an application with them to try and get an apprenticeship.

If the answer is sheet metal, call your local HVAC companies and see who they would call if they needed to sub out parts that they weren't able to build in house. Also, ask the restaurant with the biggest kitchen in the area who they call if they need their sinks/countertops repaired. There's plenty of money to be made doing sanitary welding/food grade welding.

If the answer is I beam, plate, structural stuff, find out who your local contractors use when they put a building up, or build mezzanines for them.

You'll get different answers from everybody on Union/Non-union. If you're in it solely for the money, pack all your stuff up and go vagabond for a while, moving job site to jobsite welding pipe for a power plant, refinery, or pipeline.

People sometimes forget that even if you don't know of a company in your area that does the same type of work you're trying to do, someone does, and most times they are willing to pass the info along if you explain why you are asking. If no one welds in the area, being 'decent' at welding might be able to get your bills paid while you become 'good' at welding!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Like Sam just alluded to, the money is in the unions. Most non union shops pay peanuts for welders but pay a little better if you have extra skills...blue print and fab and/or machining...but they still don't pay anywhere near what the unions pay. Downside of union work is lot's of travel...your always chasing work, lots of throat cutters and backstabbers willing to climb over you to get a job and there are always layoffs. I spent a lot of years in the union and saw the good and the bad so I know what I'm talking about. Some unions are better than others but as an old tar, I would tell you to find a niche and sit in it. There is a lot to be said for a steady paycheck over that work/layed-off, work/layed-off union bullshit. Alot of non-union companies also offer 401K instead of pension plans that IMO are way better as you are in control of your money, not the union. And just remember, you don't see welders and other tradesmen living in huge houses on the water with a big boat at the dock and fancy cars in the garage. Some pipeliners make that kind of money but they are only home 1 month a year to enjoy it.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.