General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:36 am

Hey Guys,

I like to do a lot of painting on canvas, kind of an artistic guy, and I was wondering if it was safe to paint a design on my welding hood with regular acrylic craft paint? Nothing fancy, just something to distinguish my hood at school a little. I have a cheap Jackson with a matte black finish but I recently upgraded to an ADF lens and I was wanting to jazz it up a little. I already wrote my name and a little cross (I'm a Christian) with some white out several months ago and no issues there. I guess my main concerns:

Will it randomly catch on fire?
Hurt the integrity of the plastic somehow?

Thanks!
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I don't believe acrylic paint will hurt your helmet, but...

some sites you go on will not allow any aftermarket customisation including painting, stickers, leather neck guards taped or riveted on etc because of OH&S claims of helmet integrity violation. Unless of course its a union site. Apparently union stickers don't violate integrity. :lol:

be prepared to buy another helmet if you paint!
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

It may burn off but it is unlikely it will flame up. Some places I've worked won't allow stickers or paint or markers because it could compromise the integrity of the plastic. But I've seen hoods that have stickers and wrighting and paint on them that are decades old and show no signs of stress beyond wear and tear. Unless a teacher or employer says no paint then go for it.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

I've also been considering this.

And I don't work on anyone else's site, so I can do what I like with my hood. Have always thought something inspired by Ed Van Halen's FrankenStrat might be nice...

That'd be cool mosquito, can't go wrong with a frankenstein design. I actually have an album cover in mind for what I want to paint on mine.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I didn't really consider what a construction site might say about it. I'm not sure when I'll be pipe welding in the field since I've still got a little school left- 8 weeks maybe 16 left. Like I mentioned, it was just a Jackson passive shade helmet initially, about 40 bucks. I've tried some higher end helmets, including the viking 3350, but the jackson just fits better, especially with my respirator which I always wear when I'm stick welding. I got a nice ADF lens for about 75 dollars but I could always put it in another 40 dollar helmet if need be, since the Jackson base models are upgradable.

Again, I appreciate it. I guess I'll probably graffiti this one up before the next semester starts.
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Don't forget to post the result here

If any one asks, say it's water based paint ;)
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Poland308 wrote:It may burn off but it is unlikely it will flame up. Some places I've worked won't allow stickers or paint or markers because it could compromise the integrity of the plastic. But I've seen hoods that have stickers and wrighting and paint on them that are decades old and show no signs of stress beyond wear and tear. Unless a teacher or employer says no paint then go for it.
Heck...the only thing holding my hardhat together is the stickers. But I do know that in industrial settings, painting a hardhat is a big no no. Welding hoods aren't expected to shield you from an impact but I would bet chances are good that most places would frown on painting.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Mines got paint and stickers on it :lol:
if there's a welder, there's a way
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Interesting topic.
SavePhace sells hoods with custom paint by professional artists. I'd like to hear the safety man's take on these, since it's both "paint" and "OEM".
Acrylic enamel, urethane, and epoxy paints that can be made to stick to a plastic hood have similar flash points to the material the hood is made from, so flammability is not the argument the safety man makes. It's the potential effects the solvents in the paint have on the integrity of the hood. This is bureaucratic double-speak, because the hood's only purpose is to protect you from the UV and IR of the arc.
For what you have in it, I say paint it to your heart's content, and buy a second like it so you're covered on "that job".

Steve S
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

The saftey Natzi and the building inspector have equal powers. They neither need to make sense, nor be concistant. Because they are gods among us mere mortals. ;) Just ask them.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Otto Nobedder wrote:Interesting topic.
SavePhace sells hoods with custom paint by professional artists. I'd like to hear the safety man's take on these, since it's both "paint" and "OEM".
Acrylic enamel, urethane, and epoxy paints that can be made to stick to a plastic hood have similar flash points to the material the hood is made from, so flammability is not the argument the safety man makes. It's the potential effects the solvents in the paint have on the integrity of the hood. This is bureaucratic double-speak, because the hood's only purpose is to protect you from the UV and IR of the arc.
For what you have in it, I say paint it to your heart's content, and buy a second like it so you're covered on "that job".

Steve S
Yeah, that's why it never occurred to me that it might be a problem on a site. I've only worked as a helper/fitter in the field, so I'll be a newb as far as welding is concerned in the near future. That's good thinking Otto and I've already got another hood exactly like it. I just love how the entry level Jacksons feel, so I've got one for TIG and one for Stick. I guess I'll keep one plain.

I know there's all sorts of custom jobs out there, but again, I was just basically wanting to make something that says, "this one belongs to Ryan." No big deal.

Appreciate all the responses/advice guys. Thank you.
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

Ryan_82 wrote:

Steve S
I know there's all sorts of custom jobs out there, but again, I was just basically wanting to make something that says, "this one belongs to Ryan." No big deal.
well yes belongs to me aye :twisted: ! hahaha same name couldnt help myself on that one
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.

ryanjames170 wrote:
Ryan_82 wrote:

Steve S
well yes belongs to me aye :twisted: ! hahaha same name couldnt help myself on that one
hee. :lol:

No, it's mine. I think I might just keep it simple right now. I'll save what I had in mind for another time/hood.
Attachments
IMG_3275.JPG
IMG_3275.JPG (35.64 KiB) Viewed 3691 times

Figured I would share the newest look of my hood.

HAd a friend paint it a couple of weeks ago.

This probably wouldn't be allowed on any jobsite :lol:
DSC_8069.JPG
DSC_8069.JPG (73.04 KiB) Viewed 3667 times
DSC_8064.JPG
DSC_8064.JPG (64.87 KiB) Viewed 3667 times
DSC_8094.JPG
DSC_8094.JPG (59.8 KiB) Viewed 3607 times
Last edited by Olivero on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Olivero wrote:Figured I would share the newest look of my hood.

DSC_8069.JPG
DSC_8064.JPG
Man, I shredded a pair of those gloves in under a week! We were out of XL at work and I had those sitting in my car, so I went out and grabbed them.

Should have known better, as I shred the cheap Memphis gloves they buy in a week as well.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-

GreinTime wrote:
Olivero wrote:Figured I would share the newest look of my hood.

DSC_8069.JPG
DSC_8064.JPG
Man, I shredded a pair of those gloves in under a week! We were out of XL at work and I had those sitting in my car, so I went out and grabbed them.

Should have known better, as I shred the cheap Memphis gloves they buy in a week as well.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Haha, those gloves go so fast, I try to be carefull but it never works :lol:

I keep 1 in use and 1 on hand always, got like 4 different gloves for each type of work I do, can't be protected enough! :D
    Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:53 pm

I have painted every hood I have owned except 3, one was a stars and stripes Jackson back in the early 80's one was an old slide front fiber huntsman and an arc one I am using at work now, just haven't taken the time to make it my on.

I accidently made one look like cracked leather once by using two types of paint. I first painted it red for the base with paint from a quart can we had laying around and decided it was to bright so I took a can of black spray paint to cover the red and it just crackled all up. the guys at work liked it and thought I should leave it like that but I cleaned it all up and started over. it was black, red and yellow until a couple of weeks ago when I got bored on break and took a white paint pen to it, now it has an eye on one side of the lens and an eagle on the other side and a band aid over the left eye. near the chin I wrote " because I had ten minutes to spare and a paint pen"

C
the heck with the duty cycle on the welder, tell me about the duty cycle on that grinder !!

Granddaddy wrote:I have painted every hood I have owned except 3, one was a stars and stripes Jackson back in the early 80's one was an old slide front fiber huntsman and an arc one I am using at work now, just haven't taken the time to make it my on.

I accidently made one look like cracked leather once by using two types of paint. I first painted it red for the base with paint from a quart can we had laying around and decided it was to bright so I took a can of black spray paint to cover the red and it just crackled all up. the guys at work liked it and thought I should leave it like that but I cleaned it all up and started over. it was black, red and yellow until a couple of weeks ago when I got bored on break and took a white paint pen to it, now it has an eye on one side of the lens and an eagle on the other side and a band aid over the left eye. near the chin I wrote " because I had ten minutes to spare and a paint pen"

C
I would love to see a picture of that.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Poland308 wrote:The saftey Natzi and the building inspector have equal powers. They neither need to make sense, nor be concistant. Because they are gods among us mere mortals. ;) Just ask them.
Too right about that. A mate of mine was working on the pipeline and safetyman told him to loose his pipeliner and put back on the company issued shield/hardhat combo. My mate replied he is in a steel shack over the pipe with nothing above the shack except clear sky, he was under the pipe welding sideways and the combo helmet kept falling off. Safetyman says thems the rules put it on. Mate offers to re-arrange his face. Mate gets the sack. Alot of disquiet in the camp as a result. Safetyman gets the sack too.
Mate meets safetyman outside the gate and re-arranges his face. :lol:
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

Olivero wrote:
Granddaddy wrote:I have painted every hood I have owned except 3, one was a stars and stripes Jackson back in the early 80's one was an old slide front fiber huntsman and an arc one I am using at work now, just haven't taken the time to make it my on.

C
I would love to see a picture of that.
i'll see if I can get one on here.
the heck with the duty cycle on the welder, tell me about the duty cycle on that grinder !!

pics as requested... if it works.

the beanie is there to hide my name.
Attachments
welding hood two.jpg
welding hood two.jpg (67.78 KiB) Viewed 3286 times
welding hood one.jpg
welding hood one.jpg (71.17 KiB) Viewed 3286 times

...just waiting for someone to ask what "BOHICA" means... :lol:

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:...just waiting for someone to ask what "BOHICA" means... :lol:

Steve S
What does it mean? Lol, I didn't even think it had a meaning.

Looks awesome though.

Olivero wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:...just waiting for someone to ask what "BOHICA" means... :lol:

Steve S

Looks awesome though.
BOHICA = "Bend over, here it comes again..."

Like a spanking, if you don't want to think too far in the gutter.

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:
Olivero wrote:

Steve S

Looks awesome though.
BOHICA = "Bend over, here it comes again..."

Like a spanking, if you don't want to think too far in the gutter.

Steve S

Haha, I only read the top and my head went 9 feet deep in the gutter :lol:

That's awesome.