General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
rprecision
    Thu May 05, 2016 9:47 pm

I have a Lincoln Viking auto helmet and love it. I came from a import auto which I hated and gave me a headache, pos!

Anyways I have my mig and tig at separate places. I keep my mig at my folks place as I don't have room for both. I only have one helmet so I should buy a second for a spare and to keep with the mig.

What's a good cost effective spare? I'm OK with a flip up fixed shade. I just don't want to buy junk. What shade a 10?

Thanks
thatoneguy
    Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:08 pm

Best backup hood there is is just a plain old pipeliner. Usually shade 10. You can get a good one 50ish bucks on amazon. Nothin fancy and you'll have to practice your "head nod" but they're a guarantee to work every time.
Everlast Power I-MIG 275P
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Everlast Power Plasma 80S
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
    Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:53 pm

my partner at work bought a Carrera from arc one last Thursday, I had tried one before but I tried his out and it was nice. I may get one myself, for 80 bucks it's a pretty good deal and I could see very well through it. I liked the variable shade which I wouldn't have expected for that price range.

creek
the heck with the duty cycle on the welder, tell me about the duty cycle on that grinder !!

Hard to argue with the pipeliner for a solid backup helmet. Another passive one I've always liked is the Huntsman with the flip-up window. For a passive helmet, I run a Shade 10.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Rhyno21
    Tue May 13, 2014 2:11 pm

Yes I have a old Jackson passive lens in it and I am about ready to put a auto darkening piece of glass in it. Do I need the rest of the system or will auto darkening glass shade 10 for when MIG and TIG and 12 for ARC?
Hot rods and burning matal by day
kblenker#22
    Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:23 pm

ive got a speedglas and a pipeliner for a backup. cant go wrong with a pipeliner.