Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
pavetim
    Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:10 pm

Maybe impossible but anybody know how I can talk to Jody to see if he can do something? I want a very experienced guy that way if he says can't do it, then can't be done. And if he can I want it done right. Could save me $1500 on one job if he can do this repair.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Send him a DM through his Instagram account perhaps? That way he can decide if, how to interact professionally with you.
pavetim

I don't have instagram. Does he run the Weldmonger store? Maybe I can send him an email on there? I heard he doesn't really come on here much so no point messaging him on here.
pavetim

I found his Facebook page and messaged him. Found it on his store site so see if he gets back to me.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

pavetim wrote:I found his Facebook page and messaged him. Found it on his store site so see if he gets back to me.
Update us if you don't get a reply. I can (probably) have him contact you, if needed.

Steve S
pavetim

thanks Otto. I sent him a FB message, probably a busy guy so i'll let you know by mid next week if he doesn't get back to me.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

pavetim wrote:I don't have instagram. Does he run the Weldmonger store? Maybe I can send him an email on there? I heard he doesn't really come on here much so no point messaging him on here.
you can view instagram site thru your web browser.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

cj737 wrote:
pavetim wrote:I don't have instagram. Does he run the Weldmonger store? Maybe I can send him an email on there? I heard he doesn't really come on here much so no point messaging him on here.
you can view instagram site thru your web browser.
Have to have an accoun though to DM anyone through Instagram.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

pavetim wrote:Maybe impossible but anybody know how I can talk to Jody to see if he can do something? I want a very experienced guy that way if he says can't do it, then can't be done. And if he can I want it done right. Could save me $1500 on one job if he can do this repair.
What specifically are you wanting him to do? This will help in us getting in contact with him. A lot of us know him personally and can tell you right off the bat, for the most part, if he would be interested in the project or not.
Jonathan
pavetim

I have a 4 stroke dirt bike head the guy ported too thin and broke into the water jacket. I need the exhaust port built up to repair the hole. I need experience cause I have a feeling once you start welding it will open up more plus being into the water jacket I just don't want to gob beads on and restrict the water jacket. Moat head shops said they can't fix it but I think a good welder can fix it.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

If you post up some pics he might have a better understanding of the repair.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
pavetim

Its very hard to see but inside the exhaust port there is a hole. It was attempted to be repaired but it still leaks and wasn't a good repair.
Attachments
received_10211977529093205.jpeg
received_10211977529093205.jpeg (48.31 KiB) Viewed 1050 times
Coldman

Sorry to keep troubling you. Is it possible to circle the problem spot with a sharpie and maybe shine a torch in there when you snap a pic?

Sent using Tapatalk

Coldman wrote:Sorry to keep troubling you. Is it possible to circle the problem spot with a sharpie and maybe shine a torch in there when you snap a pic?
BTW,
"Torch" is UK English for "flashlight"....
Coldman

oops sorry. My bad. Usually try to modify my text to allow for my gum chewing brothers. :D
pavetim

See that spot, that's a hole into the water jacket.
Attachments
received_10211977529093205-2.jpg
received_10211977529093205-2.jpg (41.9 KiB) Viewed 1027 times
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

That's gonna be a tough one. If it could be backed up with something it might be doable. If Jody does that I hope he makes a video about it. I would be asking the person who ported it for a new head before I spent any money on that one. MHO.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
pavetim

He tried to fix and didn't work and you cannot back it. He replaced the head but I am down for awhile now, missed my race series and chance at $1000 but I figure if i can fix it ill have an extra head and not a expensive paper weight. Habe my heard anything back from Jody but yeah a video would be cool.
exnailpounder

pavetim wrote:He tried to fix and didn't work and you cannot back it. He replaced the head but I am down for awhile now, missed my race series and chance at $1000 but I figure if i can fix it ill have an extra head and not a expensive paper weight. Habe my heard anything back from Jody but yeah a video would be cool.
Got it. I thought this might be a hard to find head or something like that. If it can't be backed then it's going to be difficult. I did a repair on a very thin tab inside a side case on a quad that was actually cast into the block of the engine once and it worked but I was able to back it up with some copper but it still wasn't easy and all it wanted to do was melt away.
pavetim

Yeah i figured it would,be hard and if Jody says it can't be fixes ill give up., I was looking into those extreme high temp ceramic pastes but im afraid it will break free when I am 30 feet in the air lol. I know its water cooled but I wonder how hit that wall really gets cause those pastes say can withstand close and some to 2000F
exnailpounder

pavetim wrote:Yeah i figured it would,be hard and if Jody says it can't be fixes ill give up., I was looking into those extreme high temp ceramic pastes but im afraid it will break free when I am 30 feet in the air lol. I know its water cooled but I wonder how hit that wall really gets cause those pastes say can withstand close and some to 2000F
I wouldn't trust any of those miracle concoctions. JB weld worked on the windshield grommet on my Harley but other than that I have never seen a "miracle in a tube" ever work properly for anything :lol: I would suspect your engine getting a good gulp of water at altitude and locking up might alter your evening plans :lol: I hope Jody would take this on as I bet there are a whole bunch of us that could learn something from it. I have seen some good welders pull rabbits out of a hat before so almost anything is possible.
pavetim

Maybe Otto can touch base with him and see if he would be willing to take it on. I wouldn't even be mad if he wasn't successful, I know it may turn into a can of worms. The guy that did the head tried to fix it and weld it so there is a "base" there so maybe jody can just pick up on that. We will see if I can get ahold of him.

pavetim wrote:See that spot, that's a hole into the water jacket.
Is that spot bright because of reflection, or because it's back-lit with a bright light in one of the water jacket ports?

I refuse to believe it's totally impossible to back this up... A length of #6AWG bare copper ground wire, with the end hammered into a flat or spoon, then bent in creative ways, even using the jacket paths to accomplish parts of the bending...

I have an email out to Joey (Jody's son) on another matter at the moment. When I get a reply, I'll bring this up. There's certainly enough information here for him to decide if it's worth looking at.

I, personally, would love to attempt this myself if Jody writes it off. After all, at that point, what is there to lose? My biggest gripe is the previous attempt at repair by someone who should have just said, "Oops!" and referred it back to you and involved more experienced welders. This affects the back side, inside the water jacket, and may require opening the hole more to remove whatever residue is there from the failed attempt.

Steve S
pavetim

I have a borescope at work ill check it out next day or so and see how it looks from backside. I had a flashlight in the water jacket that's why its bright. Yeah Otto that's creative and something like,that backing idea could be done, water jackets are small that's why i said you cannot back it.
exnailpounder

Last edited by exnailpounder on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.