Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
DennisCA
    Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:58 am

I remember this from a video where Jody said the guy who was welding in the video (not him, maybe it was Roy Crumrine) used a regular collet body and that there were reasons for doing that sometimes. But said reasoning could wait for a future video...

Well I never did find that video, not sure it has been made yet, so I am asking here. I have never actually used a collet body, only gas lenses since the very start, so my experience with regular collet bodies is nill. I can't honestly see a situation where I would prefer it, seems it's just better at wasting gas to me.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

I feel the same way. I use a gas lens all the time.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

When you use a small cup (#5 or smaller) the gas flow is pretty normalized so a gas lens is not truly effective. It never hurts, but its not needed as it is when you get to #6 and above. Of course, if you have to use a long stick out, then all bets are off with the smaller cups and gas lenses.
pavetim
    Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:10 pm

Kind of piggy back on your question does it benefit or negate at all using a bigger cup. Say I have the room but I am only welding 16 ga steel would a 8 cup be detrimental at all? I know uses more gas but is that it?

Use a standard collet body when the gas lens is too big to get into where ever you need to weld
Richard
Website
cj737

pavetim wrote:Kind of piggy back on your question does it benefit or negate at all using a bigger cup. Say I have the room but I am only welding 16 ga steel would a 8 cup be detrimental at all? I know uses more gas but is that it?
There's not really a detriment to using a gas lens. If you are using a larger cup, then it's certainly beneficial, and even on thinner metal as you get more gas coverage to evacuate the oxygen from the weld and limit contamination. You should also be able to travel faster with a larger cup in your scenario.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

if you weld on crappy old steel, old crusty aluminum castings of unknown alloy compositions , or attempt to tig something/somewhere there might be the a draft/breeze that could blow your argon away, the puddle may start to fizzle/spit back at the cup, and if you're running a gas lens, you just ruined the first layer of mesh screen.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

I've read about these gas lenses but have never tried one.

Are they really worth the change out? Seems like more stuff to worry about breaking with all its components.

The cups just shatter and its over, at least you know its dead :lol:
if there's a welder, there's a way
cj737

Olivero wrote:I've read about these gas lenses but have never tried one.

Are they really worth the change out? Seems like more stuff to worry about breaking with all its components.

The gas lenses replace the collet body, not the cups. You can still use a traditional alumina cup with them, or a Pyrex (like you can with a collet body).

cj737 wrote:

The gas lenses replace the collet body, not the cups. You can still use a traditional alumina cup with them, or a Pyrex (like you can with a collet body).
Oliver, there's nothing to worry about breaking unless you happen to be a torch thrower when you get mad.

cj737 I would just clarify to say the gas lens does replace the cup in the sense that you have to have the correct cup for the gas lens.
Richard
Website
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Well, I don't throw them, I just drop them a lot :lol:

Okay, I might have to look them up again then.
if there's a welder, there's a way
cj737

LtBadd wrote:
cj737 wrote:

Oliver, there's nothing to worry about breaking unless you happen to be a torch thrower when you get mad.

cj737 I would just clarify to say the gas lens does replace the cup in the sense that you have to have the correct cup for the gas lens.
His statement implied a confusion between the gas lens and Pyrex cups ("Seems like more stuff to worry about breaking with all its components. The cups just shatter and its over..."). Hence my statement. True, a gas lens uses a different style of alumina cup, or Pyrex cup over a standard collet body, but does not require anything "more" that would shatter or break over a standard collet body.

cj737 wrote:His statement implied a confusion between the gas lens and Pyrex cups ("Seems like more stuff to worry about breaking with all its components. The cups just shatter and its over..."). Hence my statement. True, a gas lens uses a different style of alumina cup, or Pyrex cup over a standard collet body, but does not require anything "more" that would shatter or break over a standard collet body.
That makes sense
Richard
Website