A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
JoeM
    Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:36 pm

Guys
Im new to tig welding and looking at the 2017 Everlast PowerTIG 250EX AC DC TIG STICK. Anyone buy one recently and what do you think of the std torch and pedal included with it?

There are a lot of you tube videos that show the welder being used and looks to do the job. Being a new to tig welding don't need any problems while learning. Looking to weld aluminum .025 to .250 and same on steel.

The unit also has a 5 year warranty and doesn't say where the local dealers are if there are any issues with it. Looking for some advise from someone using one.

Joe
St. Louis Mo. Edit 3/16/17 title to include the Everlast 210EXT
Last edited by JoeM on Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Hey, Joe- I don't have a 250ex but from hanging out on the Everlast forum it's considered to be their workhorse machine. (I considered one for myself.) One of the draws is that it has a dedicated knob to adjust the features, rather than a membrane keypad or touchpad. No programming and no hidden menus. It will definitely handle 0.25" aluminum.

"Local dealers" is a bit of a fiction, though: they are few to non-existent. All their machines are tested at the factory, but that doesn't catch the cases of "sudden welder death" syndrome. Everlast will replace the machine if it craps out early; there seem to be a lot of horror stories about sending the machine back for warranty repair. You might mitigate some of that by buying through Amazon or Home Depot, but I'm not sure. (HD has free "ship to store", btw.)

Everlast took good care of me: replaced a regulator that was DOA, and without my asking sent a replacement firmware board.
Dave
aka "RTFM"

Artie F. Emm wrote: You might mitigate some of that by buying through Amazon or Home Depot, but I'm not sure. (HD has free "ship to store", btw.)

Everlast took good care of me: replaced a regulator that was DOA, and without my asking sent a replacement firmware board.
Buying thru HD is a good idea, no shipping and local
Richard
Website
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Buying through Home Depot is the best way to get one, if you pay with a Home Depot card. You get one full year to return it for ANY reason.
Artie F. Emm

Just a heads up: out of curiosity i went to the Everlast site and the Home Depot site. They both say the box includes a #18 torch, which is a mid-sized water cooled torch. That means you'll need a water cooler, a separate device, to operate at full power. A cooler will run another $300.

Sorry if you knew all that already, i don't mean to preach. If you're new to TIG that may be important information.

I've heard criticism for the Euro style torch and for the foot pedal. I had never TIG welded before owning my machine so i had no basis for comparison, and i manage to get along. There's a guy on the Everlast forum, Mark, who can customize your order (his screen name is Performance) and upgrade the torch and foot pedal.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Bradk
    Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:09 am

Hi Joe,
I bought a PowerTig 250 EX several years ago and have not fired it up yet as I just have not gotten around to doing so. I bought the chiller with mine and I also am changing the torch to a size 20 Weldcraft and also bought an SSC foot pedal through Arc Zone .com online. SSC pedals are supposed to be a lot smoother and are also American. The Power Tig uses a 7 pin connector for pedal connection to the machine. Be forewarned that they have two models for this machine, one with the 50k ohm resistor for the older units and a 25k ohm on the newer machines, just check yours if you buy the machine and decide to go that route. Jody used one they can't be all that bad!

BradK
Bradk
    Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:09 am

Hi Joe,
I bought one of these units several years back but have not fired it up yet as I had a few life things get in the way (taking care of elderly parents, etc). I am fairly new to welding and decided to buy a couple more welders, crazy right? I purchased a Lincoln SqureWave Tig 200 and a Millermatic 212 Autoset mig welder which are both great machines. So at this point I purchased a cart for the Lincoln from ZTfab and got that completed and powder coated and all setup. I am now going to build a second ZTfab cart for the Everlast PowerTig 250 EX and get that one powder coated as well. I am really looking forward to firing up the Everlast as I bought the chiller as well, my air cooled torch on the Lincoln gets really hot and actually burns my fingers if I weld too long.
Here is what I am doing with my unit. I bought a Weldcraft #20 size torch which you will need adapters for and I also bought an SSC foot pedal. In other words I am not going to use the torch or pedal that came with the unit. I am not saying they are bad but this is just what I decided to do on mine. You could also use a CK or Techtorch if you wanted I just happened to buy a Weldcraft. SSC pedals are American made and come with a really good rating. I bought mine from Arc Zone (Arc-Zone.com). If you own an older one like mine you buy the 7 pin 50K ohm trim pot, for you if you buy new it will be a 7 pin 25K ohm trim pot. You will need to check yours before you buy the pedal if you chose that route. Remember Jody uses an Everlast in some videos, can't be all bad.
Best Wishes!
JoeM

Thanks for all the information guys.

I have called in to Everlast and got a quote on a 210EXT with upgraded torches and Nova pedal. I think this welder will fit my needs for aluminum welding just fine. Now just need to give the man a credit card number. LOL
Joe
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

JoeM wrote:... Now just need to give the man a credit card number. LOL
Joe
Well, don't give him mine!
:lol:

I have limited experience with Everlast equipment, but it's all been good experience, and I'm pleased with the one machine I own (Power iMig 200).

Steve S
JoeM

If I had yours Otto I would get the 255ext and a cooler. Ha :o
Artie F. Emm

Cool! I'm betting you'll find the dual voltage very convenient.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

I have ran both of them. Much prefer the 250ex with the extra 50 amps and knobs which I can glance at and see all my settings instantly.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk