Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

In a recent thread it was suggested to use silicon bronze to repair a pin hole in aluminum, so I thought I give a try to see what happens. I welded two 1/8" Al flats, drilled a hole and went for it.
IMG_0489.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG (37.2 KiB) Viewed 1690 times
Making the silbrz weld, notice green tint
Making the silbrz weld, notice green tint
AL_SilBrz 2.jpg (20.49 KiB) Viewed 1690 times
completed repair
completed repair
Img_0494a.jpg (30.92 KiB) Viewed 1690 times
Img_0494a1.jpg
Img_0494a1.jpg (81.66 KiB) Viewed 1690 times
Richard
Website
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Since the aluminum melts at a lower temp that should be expected-silicon bronze and aluminum mixing kind of like steel and aluminum it isn't gonna work to well. I feel bad you had to ruin such a nice bead.
That is some nasty aluminum you have there though.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:08 am

LtBadd wrote:In a recent thread it was suggested to use silicon bronze to repair a pin hole in aluminum, so I thought I give a try to see what happens. I welded two 1/8" Al flats, drilled a hole and went for it.
IMG_0489.JPG
AL_SilBrz 2.jpg
Img_0494a.jpg
Img_0494a1.jpg
I tried yesterday too since I had it out. But tried on DC and it just wandered and rolled it up

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

5th Street Fab wrote:I tried yesterday too since I had it out. But tried on DC and it just wandered and rolled it up

I did use Dc for the Silbrz weld
Richard
Website
    Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:08 am

LtBadd wrote:
5th Street Fab wrote:I tried yesterday too since I had it out. But tried on DC and it just wandered and rolled it up

I did use Dc for the Silbrz weld
Hmm just looked really dull figured it was ac, I might try that and see if anything different happens

Rudy Ray
    Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm

Would Aluminum Bronze work on Aluminum?
I don't have any or I'd try it myself.
Rudy Ray
    Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm

I just ordered some Alum Bronz, holy crap that stuff is more expensive than I thought it would be. $15/lb & only a 10 lb box. I have a use for at least 3 lbs of it to save a $850 part on my sheet metal break, so it is worth it.

And I'll try it on aluminum and report back.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I have a friend who is going to send me a few sticks of sil-bro to try in exchange for some codes. One day....... :cry:
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I guess I'm puzzled by this thread?
I've not seen any listings for sil-bronze or alum-bronze used for joining aluminum?
Did I miss something?

I recently used some alum-bronze rod to tig braze a cast iron piece - worked very well.

I expected it to though as the A2 alum-bronze I bought was specifically listed for cast iron and Jody had done a video on it as well (much appreciated by the way :) ).
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

The initial post is completely on the wrong track. No use for sil-bro or al-bro on aluminium. But as usual we hi jacked the thread.

MinnesotaDave wrote:I guess I'm puzzled by this thread?
I've not seen any listings for sil-bronze or alum-bronze used for joining aluminum?
Did I miss something?

I recently used some alum-bronze rod to tig braze a cast iron piece - worked very well.

I expected it to though as the A2 alum-bronze I bought was specifically listed for cast iron and Jody had done a video on it as well (much appreciated by the way :) ).
As stated in the completely wrong initial post, someone else in another thread talked of using silbrz to fix a hole in AL, I just wanted to give it a try and see what happens, and here we are.
Richard
Website
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I was a partial contributor to that fiasco, and I apologize. We were discussing a 16 gauge aluminum fuel tank. These phrases do not belong together, since an aluminum fuel tank should be 11 gauge, at least, and I replied on the Si-Br while thinking stainless steel, which would be more appropriate at that thickness. I opened my mouth after pouring beer down it, and confused the issue.

Steve S
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:I was a partial contributor to that fiasco, and I apologize. We were discussing a 16 gauge aluminum fuel tank. These phrases do not belong together, since an aluminum fuel tank should be 11 gauge, at least, and I replied on the Si-Br while thinking stainless steel, which would be more appropriate at that thickness. I opened my mouth after pouring beer down it, and confused the issue.

Steve S
Happens to all of us....try vodka next time :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

exnailpounder wrote: Happens to all of us....try vodka next time :lol:
Have a fine bottle of it in the fridge, as I type this.

Steve S
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:

Steve S
Mine is out of the fridge as I type this. :lol: Going slow because I have to pick the wife up soon but after that :twisted:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

exnailpounder wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:

Steve S
Mine is out of the fridge as I type this. :lol: Going slow because I have to pick the wife up soon but after that :twisted:
I have to work tomorrow, so it's beer tonight, as the vodka gets cold alongside the tomato and orange juices for various concoctions I may choose to make.

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:I was a partial contributor to that fiasco, and I apologize. We were discussing a 16 gauge aluminum fuel tank. These phrases do not belong together, since an aluminum fuel tank should be 11 gauge, at least, and I replied on the Si-Br while thinking stainless steel, which would be more appropriate at that thickness. I opened my mouth after pouring beer down it, and confused the issue.

Steve S
As I recall from the last podcast with Jimmy Diresta, he said always be willing to experiment. I didn't try that to see if it would work, but to see what would happen.

Below is something I did many years ago on another job, we had purge chambers for Ti parts and we'd use these Ti coupons for a test weld to see if the chamber was ready, I used Inco 62 filler just to see what would happen, I thought it looked cool and kept it all these years.
The coupon looks dark because, well it's been around awhile
Img_0506.jpg
Img_0506.jpg (29.95 KiB) Viewed 849 times
Richard
Website

LtBadd wrote:

Steve S
As I recall from the last podcast with Jimmy Diresta, he said always be willing to experiment. I didn't try that to see if it would work, but to see what would happen.

Below is something I did many years ago on another job, we had purge chambers for Ti parts and we'd use these Ti coupons for a test weld to see if the chamber was ready, I used Inco 62 filler just to see what would happen, I thought it looked cool and kept it all these years.
The coupon looks dark because, well it's been around awhile
Img_0506.jpg
Fossilized weldipede?
Farmwelding

Fossilized centipede? Why isn't that in a museum. Gosh I better call the museum of welding up and tell them you have it.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick

A grass hopper walks into a bar. The barman says "we've got a drink named after you...." "Wow.." says the grasshopper. "Who would call a drink Kevin"

weldin mike 27 wrote:A grass hopper walks into a bar. The barman says "we've got a drink named after you...." "Wow.." says the grasshopper. "Who would call a drink Kevin"
I'm telling that to my friend, Kevin, on Monday.

Steve S
Farmwelding

weldin mike 27 wrote:A grass hopper walks into a bar. The barman says "we've got a drink named after you...." "Wow.." says the grasshopper. "Who would call a drink Kevin"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nick

They have a drink named after me, too. I call it "Sex on the Beach."
My wife calls it, "Sand in the Vagina Sucks!"

Steve S

A grass hopper walks into a bar. The barman says "we've got a drink named after you...." "Wow.." says the grasshopper. "Who would call a drink Kwai Chang Caine
Richard
Website
    Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:08 am

LtBadd wrote:
A grass hopper walks into a bar. The barman says "we've got a drink named after you...." "Wow.." says the grasshopper. "Who would call a drink Kwai Chang Caine
One would have to be of a certain age to appreciate that one.... :lol:
"Why is there never time to do anything right the first time but always time to do it again?"