Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
mark3801
    Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:32 am

hi, im doing 3E at tafe with kobi 7016,an wen i do the root pass on the horizontal an overhead single v butts, im burning threw but am getting alot of suck bac in the peno, does anyone have any ideas to correct this cheers
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Hi Mark,
you may not get many replies from our American brothers as mostly they use 7018 rods.
AS1796 actually permits the use of 7018 (E4818) rods for the 3E test but you are stuck with whatever the TAFE supplies and just about every college supplies 7016. I have asked a number of teachers, invigilators and welding engineers before why this is so. They all say the same thing. 7016 is the hardest rod to use and if you pass the test using it, they are confident that their graduates are capable of welding on the job in the field in any position with any consumable.

Back to your situation. Your 3E test in 2G and 4G is on 10mm (3/8") plate without backing and 70-80 degrees included angle prep, welded from one side.
Personal preference for amps would range between 105 to 120 amps for 3.2mm rod (1/8"). Kobi's are good rods. Land and gap will affect your amps and outcome too. The only advice I can give is that if you have a wider gap don't spend time in the middle, pass on the side to wet in well and pass straight over to the other side. Keep a tight arc and not too much drag angle.
Jody has a couple of 4G vids but I couldn't find one without backing strap.

If you give us your prep gap, land and amps you might get more responses.
Good luck!
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Mark, welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Is Mark 3801 a reference to the steam loco of the same name? Are you working on trains?