mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Paul Y
    Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:15 am

I'm taking flux core classes at night after work and I'm having trouble with vertical uphill. Flat, horizontal and overhead is fine. I'm running dual shield on 3/8" MS plate and I'm having trouble with sagging and the puddle falling out. Some beads will be ok, not great and some will be complete garbage. The wire is 1/16 71 Elite with 100% CO2 and I've tried all different WFS and voltage. Would changing to 75/25 help on vertical uphill or is there a technique I should try? These are stringers with very little motion and not weave. The machine is a Miller 652 with a wire feeder attached, not sure what model feeder.
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

That size wire digs like crazy when its running too fast and you really have to keep up with it going up hill.

Lincolns recommendations are here- http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/co ... nElectric)

under Typical Operating Procedures. I'd start on the low end and move up a little as you get accustomed to it.
Ruark
    Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:16 am

If you're going uphill, turn your settings down about 10-15%. Focus on the puddle. A lot of guys sort of look at everything, and don't focus. Use a slight looping weave, and focus on the puddle, and keeping it the same size and shape as you go up the joint. As my welding teacher used to say, "become one with the puddle."
Paul Y

150 IPM and 23.5 Volts did the trick, plus a trip to quinch tub after each pass. It was a big relief once I got it.
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Good job.
What were you running it at before?
Paul Y

Not exactly sure what the IPM was, I measured it and set it to 150 and then fine tuned the voltage. Older machine that doesn't have a good read out. Checked the Lincoln specs and it 150 was on th lower end for 1/16 wire.