Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
branhamd
    Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:03 pm

Hey guys I'm a teacher in Washington and I have recently purchased a (inverter based) diversion 180 TIG welder. I chose this machine because of its extremely simple setup to help get students onto TIG faster. The issue I am having is our Auto-dim welding helmets work for about a half inch then they flash you and dim again and keep doing this about every half inch..... Now here's the strange thing on our sincrowave 250, and Lincoln 175 squarewave the helmet work great. We have tried using a speedglas 9100, and a Jackson bh3, and also adjusted the sensitivity from 1 all the way to 9. As the sensitivity goes up so does the amount of times it flashes. We moved the tungsten out about 3/8 of an inch and that made it a little better we could weld about an inch then.

Please help I'm not sure where to start with this one.
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Welcome to the forum

Try increase the delay time, it often helps to resolve this.

If the sensors fail to detect the IR it is a good chance it will pick it up again before shutting off the lens with increased delay setting.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Turn sensitivity down(less)
Delay up (more)
Invert style welders benefit from 4 sensor helmets
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

I am having this very issue.
But it has only started recently.
The helmet is still under warranty, new batteries, 4 sensors, works on mig, stick and test.
Its been gone 2 weeks and will be interested to see what the manufacturers answer.
Hopefully next week.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
branhamd
    Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:03 pm

Thanks Guys works great now I figured it was a user error.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

What was the error?
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

I use Miller digital elite which uses X mode detects magnetic field as you strike arc and works flawlessly, works fine using the four sensors as well. Glad you figured it out.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

bruce991 wrote:I use Miller digital elite which uses X mode detects magnetic field as you strike arc and works flawlessly, works fine using the four sensors as well. Glad you figured it out.
GOD bless x-mode. Best thing ever. Never even turn off x-mode except for cutting.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sat May 24, 2014 5:55 pm

my biggest problem are the overhead light placements in the shop I work.... pretty much makes my helmet useless as far as auto-darkening, have to set my helmet to the highest sensitivity which basically turns it into an old school helmet, keeps my helmet flipping skills current
can't believe it took me this many years to buy a diamond wheel for my bench grinder... what a difference
    Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:08 am

I thought my helmet was on the blink (literally) a few days ago. Was getting set and almost ready to go when it starts to flash.. Dark, light, dark, light, dark, light.... Took it off & checked it out - nothing wrong. Put it back on and same thing happened. I then realized that it was flashing at the same rate as the strobe on the forklift that was parked in the aisle while they were getting a load ready! :lol:
"Why is there never time to do anything right the first time but always time to do it again?"

WoodpeckerWelder wrote: I then realized that it was flashing at the same rate as the strobe on the forklift that was parked in the aisle while they were getting a load ready! :lol:
damn technology :lol: :lol: :lol:
Richard
Website