A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

So we recently got a carbide saw at my school. Friggin love it! Aluminum is a breeze especially after a lack of decent tools to cut with it-portable band saw or abrasive chop saw- cuts like butter. Under $500 with a blade as well. Really nice clamp-haven't used the extra clamp thing that came with it but the main one works fantastic. I have never used a carbide saw before but a lot of aabrasive saw of various brands. I cut some angle iron shaped like square tubing welded together today. We hadn't cut steel with it yet, but it was the cleanest, most smooth cut I have ever had. I can't say for cool to the touch since I had just welded a decent chunk of it. I don't remember the website but it was probably the best $500 we spent at our school.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

I bought an Evolution 380 over a year ago and it still amazes me with the speed -accuracy and lack of dust. Respect the blade -just a bit of down pressure but nothing like an abrasive. With a sharp blade if the stock does get fairly warm try a bit more pressure. A few moments of carefull setup should make extremely accurate cuts. Make sure the blade is at full speed contacting the metal. Cuts wood and PVC/ABS like butter. :D :D

homeboy wrote:I bought an Evolution 380 over a year ago and it still amazes me with the speed -accuracy and lack of dust. Respect the blade -just a bit of down pressure but nothing like an abrasive. With a sharp blade if the stock does get fairly warm try a bit more pressure. A few moments of carefull setup should make extremely accurate cuts. Make sure the blade is at full speed contacting the metal. Cuts wood and PVC/ABS like butter. :D :D
Thanks for the feedback on this model, I've been casting my eye on it, when the time comes I'll make my move... 8-)
Richard
Website
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

When I decided to upgrade from an abrasive saw I knew nothing about cold cut. I did a lot of research - read a lot of reviews and decided on the Evolution and never looked back. It has probably paid it's way just in wages I would have paid the local fab shop to cut larger heavier stock and mitres that would take too much time and grinding to true up myself. Good luck. :D :D
jwinder
    Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:38 pm

Can you use the carbide blade in an abrasive chop saw, or is the saw itself special to the cold cut process?
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

jwinder wrote:Can you use the carbide blade in an abrasive chop saw, or is the saw itself special to the cold cut process?
No, the motor turns too fast on an abrasive saw.

sedanman wrote:
jwinder wrote:Can you use the carbide blade in an abrasive chop saw, or is the saw itself special to the cold cut process?
No, the motor turns too fast on an abrasive saw.
jwinder, Evolution has a model (Rage 2) priced $150 at Home Depot, the EVO380 has a different base and vise that adds to the cost. I've read many reviews from fellow fabricators that are very satisfied with this unit.
Richard
Website