What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

exnailpounder wrote:You must have alot of brazing to do or is it for your collection?...I mean hoard :lol:
I always buy 10 pounds of everything except one time I split a box of SMW with a friend. :D It's cheaper that way in the long run and I always use it for something. But I am kind of a hoarder too. :lol:
electrode

LtBadd wrote:
electrode wrote:Well I knew there must have been a reason...I guess cutting a bunch more and stamping them etc must cost a little more. Anyhow, I scored and got 10 pounds 1/16 ALBA2 for $123 cause I found a 10% coupon in my mail from October and it was still valid from Weldfabulous.
I don't recall ever seeing .035" and smaller wire stamped, could be wrong about that, either they're flagged tagged or just not marked.
At an aerospace shop I worked many years ago the wire was colored coded to the customer spec.
You may be correct. I think I only have filler down to .045 and maybe one tube of .035 probably in stainless but I would have to look (which I will and update later). ;)

edit: Update. I have a couple 0.45 and .035 fillers and there is nor markings that I could see at least not without a microscope. :P
Last edited by electrode on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

electrode wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:You must have alot of brazing to do or is it for your collection?...I mean hoard :lol:
I always buy 10 pounds of everything except one time I split a box of SMW with a friend. :D It's cheaper that way in the long run and I always use it for something. But I am kind of a hoarder too. :lol:
:lol: I have slowly become a hoarder. There are a couple really awesome LWS north of me and when I go there and walk around, I get the "I wants" really bad. Who needs 5 different pairs of tig gloves? I guess I do now. Who needs 5 different kinds of tungsten, in 3 different sizes and the gas lens' and collets to go with 'em? I needed Inconel filler rod like I needed a hole in the head but I have it now. Never know when the refinery will call and ask me to come out and weld some pipe in the Alky. God we're sick :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
electrode

exnailpounder wrote:
electrode wrote:
:lol: I have slowly become a hoarder. There are a couple really awesome LWS north of me and when I go there and walk around, I get the "I wants" really bad. Who needs 5 different pairs of tig gloves? I guess I do now. Who needs 5 different kinds of tungsten, in 3 different sizes and the gas lens' and collets to go with 'em? I needed Inconel filler rod like I needed a hole in the head but I have it now. Never know when the refinery will call and ask me to come out and weld some pipe in the Alky. God we're sick :lol:
I don't have any Inconel...yet! I have different tungsten but mainly 2% Lanthanated but in many sizes. Only one kind of glove but 5 pairs. :D Lots of collets and gas lenses and cups. But I was one of nine kids and we watched our Dad bring home the groceries we learned what hoarding was. Except he did it every week and we ate it all so he had to do it over and over again. :D
exnailpounder

Inconel is supposed to be awesome for welding cast. I wouldn't know because I usually use SilBr and normally I turn down cast repairs because everyone wants a guaranty and I won't on cast. I guess I need to go break something made from cast and see what all the fuss is about :lol:
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

You will have less explaining to do when you meet with Saint Peter. You are a good guy.

I haven't yet tried aluminum bronze.

I proudly show off my first cast iron repair C. 1970 with a BIG welding tip on a cheap oxy/acetylene set. I bought some cast iron filler. Mom had a very ornate wood stove she bought in an antique store for $35.00. Father was beside himself that she wasted her money on a broken stove. I knew nothing of cleaning, TIG cathodic etching, or anything of the sort. I did have a very good grasp of the value of pre heating, slow cooling, and mechanical cleaning. The breaks were extensive, probably 2 feet overall. Nearly 50 years later they are holding! It was used as primary heat for ten years, until the efficiency police voiced their condemnation. These days it's an ornament.

Tomorrow, I'll ask some unpleasant questions of you about selling out, and using a square wave welder.

Willie
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Thanks Willie :)

You must be referring to the little guy on the left...the 2 of them glare at each other and argue about who gets to stay :D
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (45.97 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:Thanks Willie :)

You must be referring to the little guy on the left...the 2 of them glare at each other and argue about who gets to stay :D
image.jpeg
Well I would be glad to take the 350 off of your hands! Just give me a little time to find the 100 amp breaker I need just to start the damn thing. Those have to be two of the toughest machines ever. What kind of pedal do you use with the 350-still the original? Water cooled torch?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick

Farmwelding wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote:Thanks Willie :)

image.jpeg
Well I would be glad to take the 350 off of your hands! Just give me a little time to find the 100 amp breaker I need just to start the damn thing. Those have to be two of the toughest machines ever. What kind of pedal do you use with the 350-still the original? Water cooled torch?
Standard Miller pedal of proper type for each - after I switched to water cooled it's all I use except when using one of my small machines :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I'd adopt either. Both are historically significant, both legends. I can duplicate the performance of the Syncrowave with one of those modern electronic things. The sheer tonnage of the yellow thing can't be topped! So what if it can't weld, Its weight exceeds all the others. It'd leave a dent in a concrete floor. I'll find a way to power it!

Willie

Bill Beauregard wrote:I'd adopt either. Both are historically significant, both legends. I can duplicate the performance of the Syncrowave with one of those modern electronic things. The sheer tonnage of the yellow thing can't be topped! So what if it can't weld, Its weight exceeds all the others. It'd leave a dent in a concrete floor. I'll find a way to power it!

Willie
They both weld excellent but the Airco has a smoother 7018 arc :)

Probably due to an OCV of around 100 volts.

The Syncro is a little "choppy" when stick welding - kind of harsh in comparison.

Pretty subtle difference though.
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
    Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:52 pm

I have tig welded a lot of cast using Ni-rod It's very expensive but if you are careful with your preheat post heat and peaning it will hold and last. the last job I did was a ford 8N axle housing that was broken in half. lots of time and patients and a happy customer.
My Grandfather Used to say "Grinding a weld to make it pretty doesn't make you a Welder. It makes you a Grinder!"
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

noddybrian wrote:It's a shame .................. - funny on the rods - over here nickel has been used for as long as I can remember & is easy to get & not too expensive - aluminum bronze is unheard of -g related things.
Could you let me know the details and breed of the nickel bronze TIG rod you use please.

I have found alu-bronze here ;

http://www.weldability-sif.com/pages/vi ... g=RT731650

http://www.weldability-sif.com/pages/vi ... g=RO321601

But neither have the mechanical properties of the No 2 nickel bronze gas rod.
    Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:52 pm

ImageSorry it took so long to get back on here For Nickle tig rod Ni-Rod 99 I just Repaired a Cast iron Block for a Diesel engine. One of the Motor Mount lugs was Broken off and gone so I turned a new one on the Lathe, Welded her up and filled the voids where it took out part of the oil pan mounting flange. looks nice and customer was happy.
My Grandfather Used to say "Grinding a weld to make it pretty doesn't make you a Welder. It makes you a Grinder!"
exnailpounder

DrDogwood wrote:ImageSorry it took so long to get back on here For Nickle tig rod Ni-Rod 99 I just Repaired a Cast iron Block for a Diesel engine. One of the Motor Mount lugs was Broken off and gone so I turned a new one on the Lathe, Welded her up and filled the voids where it took out part of the oil pan mounting flange. looks nice and customer was happy.
Wow...very nice work! I usually turn down cast unless it's someone I know but I have had success with Inconel 625, silicon bronze and AL bronze. I recently picked up some N-82 filler wire...any opinion on that? I bought it by mistake as I mis-read the bin it was in but I did a little snooping and I read it's pretty good for cast iron so I hung onto it.

exnailpounder wrote: I recently picked up some N-82 filler wire...any opinion on that? I bought it by mistake as I mis-read the bin it was in but I did a little snooping and I read it's pretty good for cast iron so I hung onto it.
Inconel 82 is a good dissimilar rod also. LINK to a PDF file
Richard
Website
exnailpounder

LtBadd wrote:
exnailpounder wrote: I recently picked up some N-82 filler wire...any opinion on that? I bought it by mistake as I mis-read the bin it was in but I did a little snooping and I read it's pretty good for cast iron so I hung onto it.
Inconel 82 is a good dissimilar rod also. LINK to a PDF file
Thanks Richard. I will probably never live long enough to weld dissimilar Inconel :lol: I might not live long enough to weld Inconel at all ever again. I played with it and it's very interesting how it welds...kind of a sluggish puddle but manageable.

The PDF also mentions the joining of stainless and carbon steels....
Richard
Website
exnailpounder

LtBadd wrote:The PDF also mentions the joining of stainless and carbon steels....
You're right...I guess I should have read past the first sentence. :oops: That opens up alot of new doors now.