General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

LtBadd wrote:
maker of things wrote:I keep trying to shove the AOL cds into my phone to get the free minutes of internet. :geek:
CD's!! I trying to use their floppy discs!!
I have one of those Sony cameras that uses the 3.5" floppy disc. Was great until technology blew right past it. Still a nice keepsake. :lol:
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Just wanted to let my fellow welders here know we posted a bonus episode. Roy and I did a quick Skyle call to Jody while he is at FABTECH 2016 to see what he is up to and who he has met. Roy and I really wish we could have been there but.... We do plan on recording a live episode next year though. Anyway, give the short talk a listen and let us know what you think.
Jonathan
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

Chicago 2017! Let's do it!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Hell, even I might be able to pull off a trip to Chicago next year.

Steve S

I have a fresh comment on an early podcast...

"Weld Tests"

Here's a thought... If the equipment was rolled up when you began, it should be rolled up when you're done!

Fellow blew it today with a half-ass weld we "might" have worked with, and left all the shit out where he dropped it.

Housekeeping is a job skill, too.

Steve S
    Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:52 am

Really liked the Q&A episode this week. Covered a wide range of topics and was well worth the listen. Keep them coming!
-Jon

I learned how to weld at night, but not last night. (despite how my weld looks)

Lincoln Viking 3350 K3034-2&3
Dynasty 210DX w/cps and coolmate3
Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram

You won't want to miss episode 28, available 1/30/2017. We sat down with Nate Martin, a Diving/Welding Supervisor for a large Commercial Diving company, and talked about Underwater Welding. This is always a hot and controversial topic and it was very eye opening to actually talk to someone that been in this field most of his working career. You won't want to miss this one.

Wttpodcast.libsyn.com

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 2064774753

One of the four of you guys should do a quick supporting video on Chris's "pacman" description. I think that creates a great visual for people who are trying to learn on their own. Little things like that and Jonathon's way of explaining (paraphrasing) "to let the puddle melt the filler not the arc" seem very easy to digest for someone with little to no background in welding to get key concepts. Everyone wants to know how to set the machine when they are starting, but it's these technique that make the weld.

Keep em coming.
-Jon

Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram

Got into some good stuff on the "mig" welding episode. Roy, thanks for asking the which knob question. I'm sure many people will benefit from delving into that.

Definitely look forward to another ramble about mig that spends a little more time in the advanced area.
-Jon

Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram

Interested in what app (on android) your using and if you like it.

I'm using the standard app for music that comes with the S6... :x
Richard
Website
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

LtBadd wrote:Interested in what app (on android) your using and if you like it.

I just download them and do the same thing. I have to remember to go on and download them though!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-

GreinTime wrote:
LtBadd wrote:Interested in what app (on android) your using and if you like it.

I just download them and do the same thing. I have to remember to go on and download them though!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
I'll have to look for an app, I want to be able to skip forward or reverse, pause it and come back later...etc
Richard
Website

You can also stream is off our website where you can pause it and fast forward as you like. I don't think it saves your place when you come back though. I do know that most of the podcast app carriers save your place and allow you to pick up where you left off when you come back.
Jonathan

I am using beyond pod https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .beyondpod You can also adjust how much ffw and rev go in time. Definitely no problem pausing, returning and automatic downloads of subscriptions. You can configure so it only downloads when plugged in and on wifi, or stream episodes as it suits. I play through blueteeth in my truck and the steering wheel controls do what they should in the app.
-Jon

Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram

I notice no one discusses the podcasts here.

Who is actually listening regularly? Just curious.

Steve S
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Regularly? Kind of. More of a-hey I got time to kill let's listen. Wish I could just sit done and listen but too much over crap in the way sometimes. Might go start another one now.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick

I've listened to every PC except the underwater one, got behind but caught recently as work is slow.
Richard
Website

it seems Roy and Jonathan don't participate here, maybe for the same reason as Jody (?) I did send an email to the PC address but no response, but then again maybe they receive a lot of emails and can't respond to everyone.
Richard
Website

LtBadd wrote:it seems Roy and Jonathan don't participate here, maybe for the same reason as Jody (?) I did send an email to the PC address but no response, but then again maybe they receive a lot of emails and can't respond to everyone.
I always got Jody's reasoning, even in the early days, when he'd have had time to participate actively.

Roy was quite active here at one time. First under the name RedIron881 (85 posts in a fairly short time), then only three posts as CrummyWelding. It's been 11 months since Roy logged on.

Jonathan is still a moderator here, and logged on today. It's hard, with a family including a toddler, a job, and a side-hustle, to find time for everything, yet he still shows up to check new users' first posts, an important task in spam control.
'
Steve S
Farmwelding

I kind of wish Roy was on here. He seems like a darn good asset to have around and another person to post in the what i welded today thread so we can all drop our jaws some more.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick

I think, when they found Instagram to be such an easy photo-sharing system, and just as great a welding community as this, they shifted their focus.

I do like Instagram, but I don't use or want a smartphone, and doing it from a laptop is slightly tedious, so I've not been lured in the way they have. It's still a bit of work. I do it, and enjoy it, but it doesn't distract me from spending time here.

Steve S

I listen to every episode Monday-Tuesday on my work drive. Haven't missed one yet. Jonathan has posted in this very thread a few times.

I don't care for the how to parts about youtube, instagram or business as much as hearing how the guests got into welding. The stories are the best part for me.
-Jon

Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram

maker of things wrote:...I don't care for the how to parts about youtube, instagram or business as much as hearing how the guests got into welding. The stories are the best part for me.
Good. I wasn't intoxicated yet when Roy asked me that question... :roll: I did not expect it to take as long as it did. We talked for over three hours to get the hour and changed that got used. Having fun the whole time, but if I had anticipated, I'd have waited a bit to take my prescriptions, and had fewer beers.

Steve S
Popeye the old miner
    Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:29 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:...and everything old is new again. Who's old enough to remember waiting 'til the evening rates to make long-distance calls? Oh, and we had a party line, so if one of the neighbors was on the phone, you had to hang up and wait...

:lol:

Steve S

Shucks I'm old enough to remember when 2 tin cans and string was hi tech stuff...no I'm not the guy who invented the wheel...im the guy who poked the hole in it and stuck a log through it, my brother Axel got jealous and said he made it he was always Moms favorite so she named it after him
Farmwelding

Otto Nobedder wrote:
maker of things wrote:...I don't care for the how to parts about youtube, instagram or business as much as hearing how the guests got into welding. The stories are the best part for me.
Good. I wasn't intoxicated yet when Roy asked me that question... :roll: I did not expect it to take as long as it did. We talked for over three hours to get the hour and changed that got used. Having fun the whole time, but if I had anticipated, I'd have waited a bit to take my prescriptions, and had fewer beers.

Steve S
They ought to do some behind the scenes for the podcast of some of the weird and funny moments. Same with Jodys videos. Have a montage of mistakes and issues and funny moments just to show another side of the welding trade
Nick