mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Scott Morris
    Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:23 am

Have always wanted to learn to weld. Bought a Lincoln Pro Mig 180 running on 220v. The cylinder is 75/25. I have attached some pics to show where I am at. Please try not to laugh too hard, it took me a while just to get to this point. I seem to reached a plateau and not improving. Hoping someone or lots of someone's could help go over this hurdle to keep getting better. I am using .020 wire, holding the gun 90º to the weld. Have tried different cursive techniques. These particular welds were made with a setting of 5 on the wire speed and D on the volts for those familiar with the Lincoln 180. Have tried all different settings including those shown on the chart in the welder. This has produced the best welds so far on this particular metal....

PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Is that steel filler metal that you are using?

I've never seen anything like that.
Scott Morris

PeteM wrote:Is that steel filler metal that you are using?

I've never seen anything like that.
Steel bought from Lowes....

SM
PeteM

I would check the spool. That actually looks like aluminum.

Otherwise, it would be the usual suspects. Correct polarity, adequate shield gas, etc.
Scott Morris

PeteM wrote:I would check the spool. That actually looks like aluminum.

Otherwise, it would be the usual suspects. Correct polarity, adequate shield gas, etc.
The polarity is correct, 75/25 in the bottle, Mild steel Mig wire L56...... spool is free just a very, very slight amount of drag.

Thanks

Sm
PeteM

These types of things are usually best addressed in person. Sorry I couldn't be of any help to you.

Good luck.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Wow..that's a mess. Your metal looks really dirty and that might be part of your problem but I have only seen spatter that bad with flux core...something else is wrong.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Scott Morris

PeteM wrote:These types of things are usually best addressed in person. Sorry I couldn't be of any help to you.

Good luck.
Thanks, will take all the advice I can get.

SM
PeteM

exnailpounder wrote:...something else is wrong.
I agree.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Scott Morris wrote:
PeteM wrote:I would check the spool. That actually looks like aluminum.

The polarity is correct, 75/25 in the bottle, Mild steel Mig wire L56...... spool is free just a very, very slight amount of drag.

Thanks

Sm
Checklist
Polarity DC electrode positive
75/25 gas
Standard mig wire
Quality ground
Correct CFH-15-20 CFH
Played with various settings
Stick out
Just things to try that might do something and double/triple check everything.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Can you post a picture of your mig gun? Looks like a gas issue. Might be plugged up in the gas nozzle.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Poland308 wrote:Can you post a picture of your mig gun? Looks like a gas issue. Might be plugged up in the gas nozzle.
I agree, but I've run a fair share of mig with no gas due to idiocracy, diagnosed at birth, and that is part of it but there is something more. Another good question is what kind of steel and where did you get it from. Could be some weird alloy that does crazy stuff or has some weird contaminant.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Scott Morris

Poland308 wrote:Can you post a picture of your mig gun? Looks like a gas issue. Might be plugged up in the gas nozzle.
Sure, when it is daylight out I will post a pic. When I press the trigger, I can feel the gas coming out. In response to someone else, the metal I am using to practice was purchased at Lowes.

Thanks

SM
Scott Morris

Here ya go... Doesn't look like it in the pics but there is an opening around the nozzle the gas comes out of. There is definitely gas coming out of it.

PeteM

So, that black cap is called the diffuser cover. The diffuser cover prevents spatter from destroying the diffuser when using self shielded flux core wire.

The diffuser evenly distributes shield gas within the nozzle to create a laminar gas pocket around the weld pool.

You have to take that black cover off and put a standard nozzle for that type of gun on to have gas coverage of your welds.

You should also clean the nozzle every so often to prevent blockage and maintain adequate shield gas coverage.
Scott Morris

PeteM wrote:So, that black cap is called the diffuser cover. The diffuser cover prevents spatter from destroying the diffuser when using self shielded flux core wire.

The diffuser evenly distributes shield gas within the nozzle to create a laminar gas pocket around the weld pool.

You have to take that black cover off and put a standard nozzle for that type of gun on to have gas coverage of your welds.

You should also clean the nozzle every so often to prevent blockage and maintain adequate shield gas coverage.

Wow..... you are one hundred percent correct. Just looking through the manual and I found what you are talking about. I don't find the other nozzle anywhere. Going to lowes to see if they carry it... Thank you very much.

SM
PeteM

Scott Morris wrote:
Wow..... you are one hundred percent correct. Just looking through the manual and I found what you are talking about. I don't find the other nozzle anywhere. Going to lowes to see if they carry it... Thank you very much.

SM
:) Thanks, but to be fair, it was Polands idea to get the pic.

You should be good to go with some clean steel. Happy welding.

ps. You'll want to turn down those settings back into a more normal range for that wire too.
cherwolf
    Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:13 am

Yesterday watched a video about his welder, the boring guy there stated, that that machine comes with flux core tip on gun, as I have never welded flux core, kept my 2 cts in pocket.

The video -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6WzZ_LoDSg
Scott Morris

Amazing the difference a tip makes. Now with that problem solved. Thank y'all very much!! What could I do to improve from this bead?

exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

PeteM wrote:So, that black cap is called the diffuser cover. The diffuser cover prevents spatter from destroying the diffuser when using self shielded flux core wire.

Pete NAILED IT. Pictures sure do help.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
PeteM

Scott Morris wrote: What could I do to improve from this bead?
That is pretty decent. I'd try stacking them side by side for a nice even pad. From there its on to different joint configurations, positions, bevels, tube, pipe etc.

A nice bead is like the keys to the kingdom. Once you have that, you can take it as far as you want.
Scott Morris

PeteM wrote:
Scott Morris wrote: What could I do to improve from this bead?
That is pretty decent. I'd try stacking them side by side for a nice even pad. From there its on to different joint configurations, positions, bevels, tube, pipe etc.

A nice bead is like the keys to the kingdom. Once you have that, you can take it as far as you want.
Thanks, will work on what you suggested...

SM
    Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:53 pm

that is a pretty common mistake when you are in a hurry to play with a new toy, I did the same thing and had to go back to the manual and when a friend was telling me about his problems when he was knocking the new off of his 180 he had done the same thing, it's amazing what a difference it makes. I read the manual a little before firing up the next machine.

good welding.

creek
the heck with the duty cycle on the welder, tell me about the duty cycle on that grinder !!
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

Jody has several great videos on mig-mig set up.
more then worth the time to watch.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Scott Morris

motox wrote:Jody has several great videos on mig-mig set up.
more then worth the time to watch.
craig
I have watched everyone of his MIG videos. They have been a big help....

Sm