Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
WVJay
    Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:35 pm

I have an opportunity to buy a Hobart Smoothcut 625 that hasn't been used. The story is that it was purchased new at a small welding supply store at a discount because some of the consumables were missing and store was going out of business. The new owner went thru a divorce shortly after purchase and it was never used. As I am new to welding in general and have no experience with plasma cutters I was looking for advice if this would be a good buy or not. I can purchase it for $250. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jay
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Personally, I'd jump on that deal. While I have no experience with that machine, I'd gamble on it. Hobart is under the same umbrella as Miller, so support and availability of consumables is similar. Think of Hobart as "Miller, light". Same technologies at a lower price point for the home user/hobbyist market up to, say, automotive. You're looking at lower duty cycles at the same power settings.

That said, I'm sure someone with knowledge of that particular machine will comment.

Steve S
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

For an unused plasma cutter that is a good deal. We have the Miller equivalent at school (spectrum 625) and it runs like a champ. Just be sure to already have an air compressor or the money to buy one to run it off of.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
WVJay

Well I have two air compressors, so that is not an issue. This is an older machine that hasn't been used, and I was wondering about reliability, it has a exposed tip, not the shielded one and I was wanting to know it would be possible to change it to a newer design. I may just take the chance and see if it works and if it is upgradable.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

WVJay wrote:Well I have two air compressors, so that is not an issue. This is an older machine that hasn't been used, and I was wondering about reliability, it has a exposed tip, not the shielded one and I was wanting to know it would be possible to change it to a newer design. I may just take the chance and see if it works and if it is upgradable.
There are (or should be) alternate consumables available to convert the exposed tip to a drag tip. Our Miller 875 came equipped this way new, and our TD Cutmaster82's have that capability, as well. There's also a simple "stand-off" available that slips on the insulator that will hold your tip above the work to avoid contact. Our TD cutmasters will allow you to drag the unguarded tip so long as you have a really solid ground.

Steve S
WVJay

Well the good news is the gentleman brought the machine in so I could look at it,the bad news is it doesnt work. I havnt paid for it yet, and he let me bring it home to see if i can fix it.
I found out if I loosen the torch insulator and flip the switch on the front of the machine to check air flow it works. So that tells me the air side is working. but I am wandering how the torch head is supplyed voltage to make it work? When I took the case apart I found two plugs for torch leads and a air hose fitting. One plug had the two wires for the switch and the other plug was empty. I am wandering if it is the correct torch assembly for the unit. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I told the owner if I could make it work I would buy It.