Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
rednation12
    Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:52 pm

I'm looking into getting a cordless looking for something that has power and great durability looking for info thanks
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Milwaukee makes a really nice cordless grinder.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick

+1 for Milwaukee
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

The local fab shop has a Milwaukee rechargeable grinder and are happy with it. Be aware that they need plenty of battery power because they run steady for periods of time. I don't know how much experience you have with battery tools but a deal on a tool with a small battery or two can get real expensive real fast if due to frequent usage you need more batteries. In their case they have a line of Milwaukee tools so lots of batteries and chargers on hand. In my case after a costly lesson I chose one line of tools and when I had enough batteries I buy bare tools only. Sites like Amazon have better deals on 2 packs and generics also. For extended usage tools like grinders blowers trimmers saws etc. you will need the most AH possible. Been there :!: :ugeek:
    Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:53 pm

+ one on the Milwaukee, we have 2 of the brushless models in our shop and they are great tools
the heck with the duty cycle on the welder, tell me about the duty cycle on that grinder !!
Gunner
    Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:23 am

Dewalt Makes a nice one too...the most important thing when buying one, is to make sure you get the highest Amp/Hour battery you can. that goes for any cordless tool. Dewalt has a battery that is 6 A/H
The battery will not only hold a charge longer, but you will get a lot more charging cycles out of it.
homeboy

I did quite a bit of research after I threw out an armful of perfectly good tools with dead and obsolete Ni-Cad batteries. They can be rebuilt but not worth the effort in my opinion. One thing that I have repeatedly read is that Lithium Ion likes slower charging if possible to get maximum life. A study on electric cars which have a similar battery technology showed a significantly shorter service lifespan when fast charged continuously compared to slow charging. Flash charging was deemed to be extremely hard on them and only provides a partial charge anyway. I do use the factory slow chargers almost exclusively and have some batteries several years old with no issues. :D :ugeek:
cherwolf
    Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:13 am

Metabo. Has both options, even a cord to attach to a battery connection.
homeboy

I am considering buying a Milwaukee 2701-20 brushless drill and possibly also the brushless fuel grinder at some point both bare tools. I'am checking aftermarket 5 amh batteries and chargers -prices and reviews and they usually come in at 1/2 to 2/3 the price of oem. Just wondering what experience anyone has with the aftermarkets and how they hold up and possibly a good brand? I'am in Canada and the oem battery prices here are a huge ripoff compared to US prices I see! :?: :? :ugeek:
WildWestWelder
    Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:43 pm

It's Milwaukee for me all the way. I have a 4-1/2" in the shop for repair but that was because I literally worked it to death. I gave it no quarter, it came up smokin'. Now I have to pay for my misdeeds. :sad: