Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
WildWestWelder
    Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:43 pm

I was just wondering if there are any specialized, high tech machines/power supplies used by TIG welders for doing critical work for aerospace, nuclear etc. or do they all use what we use such as Miller, Lincoln etc.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Most are just standard machines-mostly Miller and Lincoln. Some stuff requires full room or bubble purge and 200% pure argon. I know some tig welding in the industry is done remotely with a robot with no human in the room to eleiminate any extra gases or crap from getting in.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

I had a brief conversation once with a guy from Seattle that welds the fuel lines for Boeing. He said that they do use some specialized tig equipment, but we didn't get to the part of the whats and stuff, as I had to get off of the streetcar.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

What machines they use will vary depending on what part of the world you're in. I wouldn't doubt in Europe you see a lot of ESAB, Fronius, Air Liquide, Kemppi, EWM, etc, and not as much Lincoln/Miller.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I would guess it's some kind of orbital machine.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

The machines for manual welding will be the same things available to us commercially. What may be different lies in the process. Study, for example superiorwelding when he works in a purge chamber. The entire part he's working on is enclosed in an inert-gas envelope.

You'll also see such things as trailing cups, designed to keep the gas shield over the hot metal longer.

These are the differences, not the machines or their capabilities.

Steve S
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Farmwelding wrote:Most are just standard machines-mostly Miller and Lincoln. Some stuff requires full room or bubble purge and 200% pure argon. I know some tig welding in the industry is done remotely with a robot with no human in the room to eleiminate any extra gases or crap from getting in.
What is 200% argon? Fatfingers! :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

exnailpounder wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:Most are just standard machines-mostly Miller and Lincoln. Some stuff requires full room or bubble purge and 200% pure argon. I know some tig welding in the industry is done remotely with a robot with no human in the room to eleiminate any extra gases or crap from getting in.
means you easily use up at least twice as much argon than one normally would, lol.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
No Jeff, it was intentional. I was showing how absolutely pure the argon is that they have to use. Absolutely nothing else-more like a figure of speech
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Farmwelding wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:
No Jeff, it was intentional. I was showing how absolutely pure the argon is that they have to use. Absolutely nothing else-more like a figure of speech
Gotcha. Sounds like you need a little poontang :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Farmwelding wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:
...intentional makes it worse... 8-)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Oh god, here we go again :lol:
if there's a welder, there's a way
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

These guys: http://www.liburdi.com/ A friend of a friend has one of their smaller AC/DC PAW systems, all I know is I would have to hit the lotto to get into those power supplies. LOL
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225