General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Rhyno21
    Tue May 13, 2014 2:11 pm

I was told a year ago by a fellow welder he has (8 years industry experience) that I should at the least be able to physically lift at least 120lbs if not at least 80lbs. How strict are most jobs where the require you to lift a minimum weight? I am mostly talking about jobs where being a CW(Certified Welding) is necessary.
Hot rods and burning matal by day
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

It's commonly taught in Australia that anything over 15kg,(30lbs) should be a dual lift or use some type of aid. I'm not talking about the getter dun mentality, it's the basic guidelines.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I don't know about minimum requirements, but I don't even break a sweat at lifting 120 lbs.

In many jobs over the years we've been required to lift much more than that - up to 400 lbs in some cases (beam on the shoulder).

While in the Air Force back in the 80's and 90's we had a lifting machine to check people and it was over 100 lbs and 10 reps.

I fully support "team lifts" and using machines to do the work whenever possible though.
I'm only saying the number he gave you is actually pretty small.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

I only do 12 ounce curls these day 8-)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I believe OSHA says one person lifts at 50 lbs or two person lifts at 75 lbs each for a total weight of 150lbs. That just means if your employer fires you for not being able to lift more weight than that, then you would have legal grounds to fight the decision. Reality is most jobs might mean you lift 75-100lbs occasionally, but if it is required you often handle things of this weight that you use proper techniques ( like only lifting one end at a time) or use lifting aids.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

OSHA regulations on weight-where do they pull these numbers out of. I looked on a 50 lb bag of bird food in the store once and it said team lift-I had three over my shoulders and I beleive my schools millermatic 211 said the same and weighs 70 lbs. where do they draw these magical numbers? Or is it like everything else and they under rate everything to protect you or a machine.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Strength is definitely an asset in a lot of situations. Being a certified welder doesn't mean you aren't going to have to do anything else. There are the OSHA guidelines, then there is what is actually expected of you in a given situation.

Simple fact- No one respects weakness.

If you shy away, complain, or start looking for the control box for the crane to do something that everybody else does by hand no body will respect you, but if you can grab a big piece of steel and handle it like a boss, you da man.

I look at the guidelines and figure that if a boss went by them, there would be fewer workplace injuries and their insurance would appreciate it.

But I highly doubt they get paid much attention to. I know I've never worked anywhere that talked about them.

Shingles are often 90 lb bundles and get carried up ladders every day. Sometimes one on each shoulder.

I've done the 2 bundle carry before but I don't recommend it - most ladders aren't rated for me + 2 bundles.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

OSHA regulations come from previous injuries. They are not proactive; They are knee-jerk reactors. The numbers come from previous injury statistics. That's why there are so many stupid rules; Because stupid people tend to get hurt more often (and more seriously).

That said, It's extremely rare for me to lift more than 65 pounds, and rather rare for 65. I use the overhead crane, hand-carts, forklift, even other people. I have a previous back injury that can flare and put me out of commission for three days, so my boss scrupulously avoids putting me in heavy-lift situations.

Steve S
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

That's what apprentices are for

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

exnailpounder wrote:I only do 12 ounce curls these day 8-)
I figured you to be a 16oz guy Jeff.
Richard
Website

Coldman wrote:That's what apprentices are for

Amen to that. The FNGs get a workout at our shop. The young ones, anyway. We have one FNG who's older than me.

Steve S

LtBadd wrote:
Nah, he likes the good stuff, craft beers and such. Not much of that comes in glass pints, and I doubt he drinks much from aluminum.

Steve S
Farmwelding

So... Kind of like the Idaho law that prohibits trout fishing from the back of a giraffe I beleive.

We have an similar person to OSHA at school now. We know have safety knives. Utility knive ballades in plastic with a shield. Loon it up its a hoot. Or lathe guards on wood lathes and metal lathes that wouldn't do anything.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
Farmwelding

LtBadd wrote:
Wow. To think he was only able to lift 6 oz a year ago
Nick
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:
LtBadd wrote:
Nah, he likes the good stuff, craft beers and such. Not much of that comes in glass pints, and I doubt he drinks much from aluminum.

Steve S
These days I drink vodka and Sunny D. I used to brew my own beer and really was into it and I learned how distill and make world class whisky and vodka but the only satisfaction I have ever gotten from alcohol is drinking it...and then getting up in the morning and doing my thing all day and then doing it all again day after day. In other words...controlling something that has contolled and ruined so many lives. I use alcohol...I don't let it use me. ;)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Well my employer here in Michigan required that mechanics in maintenance (my job) lift 80# three times from ground level to overhead and on a shelf, and repeat, or your not hired. Now at 53 I had lumbar disc removal and fused pins and screws to strengthen. My 11 months of physical therapy and work hardening was a tough go. My therapist refused to put me through the companies requirement. Stated in writing nobody should be putting that much weight above the shoulders and it is a risk it will fall on the head. I had to lawyer up and still had to prove I can lift 80# at least once. That about killed me. Took months fighting for my job. Company could care less the danger. At 60 I am now disabled. So work smart and listen to your body. Forty years of back abuse leaves you in bad shape.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

I am only 20 and used to grin at the older guys I work around, since I do welding, fabrication, refrigeration, plumbing, electrical and all the other stuff I tend to work around and in a lot of different envoirements, a lot of it includes lifting but I see these guys not being able to lift or having back problems, I know I can lift a decent weight, took a 135 lbs. 40" X 40" box today and carried it around. Carry my argon bottle on my shoulder up 6 stories

But for what? There is so much equipment and so many ways to do things that doesn't require you wrecking your body, I listen to the guys telling me to be careful and only do heavy lifting when its really necessary. Learned how to drive forklifts and boom lifts and such things so I don't HAVE to do it the hard way.

Obviously if it comes down to it and there is no other way, I'll do it the hard way and I can do it the hard way but if I can avoid it, I will, you should do the same. No fun in not being able to lift anything though.
if there's a welder, there's a way
Farmwelding

Olivero wrote:I am only 20 and used to grin at the older guys I work around, since I do welding, fabrication, refrigeration, plumbing, electrical and all the other stuff I tend to work around and in a lot of different envoirements, a lot of it includes lifting but I see these guys not being able to lift or having back problems, I know I can lift a decent weight, took a 135 lbs. 40" X 40" box today and carried it around. Carry my argon bottle on my shoulder up 6 stories

But for what? There is so much equipment and so many ways to do things that doesn't require you wrecking your body, I listen to the guys telling me to be careful and only do heavy lifting when its really necessary. Learned how to drive forklifts and boom lifts and such things so I don't HAVE to do it the hard way.

Obviously if it comes down to it and there is no other way, I'll do it the hard way and I can do it the hard way but if I can avoid it, I will, you should do the same. No fun in not being able to lift anything though.
Or you have the guy you work for who cuts trees for the city tell you to do a desk job to save your body and then pays me $8 an hour to lift 150-200 lbs logs and stack wood for 6-8 hrs a day. Some people-I tell ya
I don't mind though. Makes cracking my back feel a lot better at the end of the day.
Nick

exnailpounder wrote: These days I drink vodka and Sunny D.
My cousin Greg is a senior vice-president for marketing at Sunny D.

I don't mix vodka with synthetics, though.

I mix vodka with Kahlua. It's the racist in me, that I like to slam Black Russians... :roll:

Steve S
Rhyno21
    Tue May 13, 2014 2:11 pm

Well I know we have assists available like at my school we have:
Gantry crane, a forklift, handcart. I understand that everyone should be physically able to do most on the job tasks. I understand how there are guidelines that I need to know. Just until mom said how we don't know how much you will need to carry. I grateful for you guys being honest. I understand that young guys such myself needs to do some on the job weight lifting.
Hot rods and burning matal by day

Rhyno21 wrote:Well I know we have assists available like at my school we have:
Gantry crane, a forklift, handcart. I understand that everyone should be physically able to do most on the job tasks. I understand how there are guidelines that I need to know. Just until mom said how we don't know how much you will need to carry. I grateful for you guys being honest. I understand that young guys such myself needs to do some on the job weight lifting.
What's very important is you do actual weight lifting and stay in good physical condition.

You will hurt yourself if you don't make sure you are strong and fit.

Also, when it truly is too heavy, don't try to lift it anyway, you'll pay for it the rest of your life.

Be strong, but be smart. :D
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
PeteM

MinnesotaDave wrote:
Rhyno21 wrote:Well I know we have assists available like at my school we have:
What's very important is you do actual weight lifting and stay in good physical condition.

You will hurt yourself if you don't make sure you are strong and fit.

Also, when it truly is too heavy, don't try to lift it anyway, you'll pay for it the rest of your life.

Be strong, but be smart. :D
Aside from the obvious- strength, I also just generally feel a lot better from lifting. Better appetite, sleep, energy levels, etc. It has a lot of over all benefits.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Nothing wrong with lifting stuff, just don't overdo it. They might now you as the one guy that lifts everything at work but 20 years from now, they'll know you as the dumbass who lifted everything at work and can't walk straight anymore.

See it all the time.
if there's a welder, there's a way
PeteM

Yeah, I hear you. There's a lot of bull strong guys that can heave-ho strong as an ox when they're young, then one day they sneeze and out goes a couple of disks.

Aside from wrestling since 4th grade,I've trained power lifting and olympic lifting intermittently for almost 20 years (now 44). In that time I've worked with some great strength and conditioning coaches and study it a bit myself. There's a lot that goes into knowing how to move and to keep moving. My main points of emphasis have been mobility and joint stability- then strength and conditioning. I've recently started back after a long break to give my kid time to grow up a little so that he isn't a hazard in the weight room.

Nothing like a toddler hugging your leg in the middle of a 350lb. squat! :o