Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
S4m
  • S4m
    Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:00 pm

Hi all,

Bought a cros arc ac/dc tig 200amp welder to teach myself how to weld. Been practicing with stainless and ally. The torch i have is really awkward to use as the leads are so stiff and bulky. Not currently using a pedal and i think this isnt helping either. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced pedal and torch combo that might give me a bit more control?

S4m, welcome to the forum
Judging by the brand of welder I'm guessing you might be somewhere in the UK? It helps if you provide a location in your profile, if even a country or city, not looking for a street address... :)

You didn't say if you're using an air or water cooled torch, the CK brand is certainly at the top of the list for recommendations for either air or water cooled. Welding with a water cooled torch is defiantly the way to go if it's in your budget.
Richard
Website
S4m
  • S4m

LtBadd wrote:S4m, welcome to the forum
Judging by the brand of welder I'm guessing you might be somewhere in the UK? It helps if you provide a location in your profile, if even a country or city, not looking for a street address... :)

You didn't say if you're using an air or water cooled torch, the CK brand is certainly at the top of the list for recommendations for either air or water cooled. Welding with a water cooled torch is defiantly the way to go if it's in your budget.
Hi,

Apologies yes im from the uk, near london. Current torch is air cooled and as i am only welding for a hobby i cant justify the whole water cooled outlay at the moment. I have looked at the ck torches but i cannot see how they would connect to my welder, i will try and attach a pic of the current connection and the plug for the button. I would like to replace the button for a pedal if possible...
Attachments
Button switch plug
Button switch plug
20170416_105055.jpg (21.81 KiB) Viewed 1882 times
Torch connection
Torch connection
20170416_105116.jpg (25.31 KiB) Viewed 1882 times
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Talk to CK directly. They can match the fittings and connectors for almost all brands.

Buying from e-bay and others puts compatibility checks on you, and you might be salvaging from your old torch to hook up the new one.

Steve S
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

They sell a "SuperFlex" torch and cable kit with the Dinse style of connector (that's what your picture is showing). What you need to know is the size in MM of the Dinse, and whether your cable is a single or double (separate gas connection). Order the flexible head torch, you'll be much happier. You can order these cable/torch kits in air- or water- cooled, and up to 200 amps.

The pedal connection is different. SSC sells (in my opinion) a really comfortable and accurate pedal. You need know the connectonype or machine brand/model for compatibility.
S4m
  • S4m

cj737 wrote:They sell a "SuperFlex" torch and cable kit with the Dinse style of connector (that's what your picture is showing). What you need to know is the size in MM of the Dinse, and whether your cable is a single or double (separate gas connection). Order the flexible head torch, you'll be much happier. You can order these cable/torch kits in air- or water- cooled, and up to 200 amps.

The pedal connection is different. SSC sells (in my opinion) a really comfortable and accurate pedal. You need know the connectonype or machine brand/model for compatibility.
Hey thanks for the reply, thats good, so i can measure the dinse connection and yes the gas line is separate, it plugs in next to the dinse connection, my argon bottle attaches to the back of the welder and thats it. So this current torch has 3 leads in it, power, gas and control. If i go for a foot pedal i will need only gas and the dinse. Probably be best to contact CK directly as others have said
cj737

http://www.ckworldwide.com/200-amps-ck210.html

Just get the proper Dinse size and the 2 piece cable. All set. Its the same cable I run on my Dynasty, though my Dynasty uses a larger Dinse. I use the smaller (35mm) Dinse cable on my MultiMatic. And both use the Flex head torch.
S4m
  • S4m

Ok so been looking thismorning and i have an adapter that the superflex cable will go onto will attach a pic. So if im right i can buy a ck torch and the superflex line will carry the gas from the adapter meaning i only need a pedal and im sorted? [ attachment=0]20170417_104102.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
20170417_104102.jpg
20170417_104102.jpg (46.67 KiB) Viewed 1814 times
S4m
  • S4m

So i managed to incorporate a ck17 flex head to my current setup with a superflex lead. A million times better! If you hold my existing setup horizontal it stuck out over a foot and a half before it curved down and now its so much better. No excuses now!
cj737

Regardless of the cable type, a flex head TIG torch is the best invention since internal combustion engines 8-)
S4m
  • S4m

cj737 wrote:Regardless of the cable type, a flex head TIG torch is the best invention since internal combustion engines 8-)
Agreed! So much more control and not having to wrestle with the torch and cable makes life so much easier
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

A 17 flex head is the go to work horse on my work rig. Pipe and patches it's a good balance between amp capacity and light weight/use ability. Plus there cheap! Burn one up and you get a new one for $20.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Does anybody have a Swivel Head tig torch and if so, if that as good as a Flex Head?? Just curious.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Poland308 wrote:A 17 flex head is the go to work horse on my work rig. Pipe and patches it's a good balance between amp capacity and light weight/use ability. Plus there cheap! Burn one up and you get a new one for $20.
It's usually not the torch that "burns up" (since they are usually made of brass/copper), but rather the cable that gets smoked from the inside out.
electrode wrote:Does anybody have a Swivel Head tig torch and if so, if that as good as a Flex Head?? Just curious.
I have both. Never reach for the flex anymore.
electrode

Oscar wrote:
electrode wrote:Does anybody have a Swivel Head tig torch and if so, if that as good as a Flex Head?? Just curious.
I have both. Never reach for the flex anymore.
Thanks for the comment. I may have to get a swivel head torch for my birthday or some excuse. :D

Swivel head + TIG Button = the ULTIMATE TIG torch setup. IMO. Until they invent one that reads your mind and changes your thoughts to a machine's input signal, I feel this kicks a lot of A#*.

electrode

Oscar wrote:Swivel head + TIG Button = the ULTIMATE TIG torch setup. IMO. Until they invent one that reads your mind and changes your thoughts to a machine's input signal, I feel this kicks a lot of A#*.

Looks like a winner. I was following the thread on the TIG Button too. Too bad I am in the middle of spending a whole bunch of money right now on major stuff like concrete and shade. I may have to sell something so I can buy these things. :lol: What brand is that swivel head torch?

That's a Tec Torch. They go under their WeldTec line, this would be the i-head Roto-head torch. Similar to the CK Flex-loc.
electrode

Oscar wrote:That's a Tec Torch. They go under their WeldTec line, this would be the i-head Roto-head torch. Similar to the CK Flex-loc.
Ok, thanks for the info. I think WP makes one too. So I have options. 8-)

I LOVE the CK Flexloc. I'll never have another flex-head.

I've not tried other brands of this style, but I'm supposed to be getting another brand to try. The prototype has been back for several revisions, so I haven't seen it yet, but after the time involved, it should really be something.

Steve S
electrode

Otto Nobedder wrote:I LOVE the CK Flexloc. I'll never have another flex-head.

I've not tried other brands of this style, but I'm supposed to be getting another brand to try. The prototype has been back for several revisions, so I haven't seen it yet, but after the time involved, it should really be something.

Steve S
You can't go wrong with CK products, that is for sure. The Flexloc you mention, is it the same as this one HTP sells?
http://www.usaweld.com/Swivel-Head-TIG- ... elhead.htm

electrode wrote:

Steve S
You can't go wrong with CK products, that is for sure. The Flexloc you mention, is it the same as this one HTP sells?
Yeap, HTP sells CK gear.
electrode

Oscar wrote:
electrode wrote:

Steve S
Yeap, HTP sells CK gear.
Seems like the cheapest I have found it for too. So far anyhow...
Thanks

A benefit to the flexloc is that you can change the head only. The series 2 head is smaller and accepts -20 consumables. The series 3 head accepts -17 consumables.
Since the flexloc is only water-cooled to the knuckle, and the hear is air (argon) cooled, you can use the bigger stuff for extended runs at high amps, and swap back to the smaller stuff for close-quarter work without having two torches.

Steve S