mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
bluefan89
    Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:27 pm

Hello

New to forum, but glad I found great info.

I am needing some suggestions on how to weld on some type of hinge on the 1" angle panels I am
working on for small livestock pens. I am going to attach a pic or two of the project as it is now.

I would like to construct or weld a hinge that would allow the pens to be taken apart for storage.
The gate part with vertical bars is pretty heavy 50 pound or so.
My second photo attached is of maybe using some of the spare 1/2" tubing to make some kind of hinge that has a like horseshoe pin system that can be removed if needed.

I am also trying to think of possible latches to secure the pen that could be made simple. Any ideas?

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_3035.JPG
IMG_3035.JPG (138.72 KiB) Viewed 419 times
IMG_3036.JPG
IMG_3036.JPG (138.62 KiB) Viewed 419 times

Back when I was building gates and fences to put food on the table and tasty beverages in the fridge, if we didn't use weld-on hinges, we'd build 'em from round stock and tube. The round bar went on the gate post and the tube on the gate. If the gate was intended to be removable, both pieces of round bar pointed up. A non-removable gate got the bottom bar pointed down and the top one pointed up. You can adapt some version of that system for your panels, I'm sure.

Don't forget to post some pics when you get it finished.

Larry
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
    Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:38 pm

ldbtx wrote:Back when I was building gates and fences to put food on the table and tasty beverages in the fridge, if we didn't use weld-on hinges, we'd build 'em from round stock and tube. The round bar went on the gate post and the tube on the gate. If the gate was intended to be removable, both pieces of round bar pointed up. A non-removable gate got the bottom bar pointed down and the top one pointed up. You can adapt some version of that system for your panels, I'm sure.

Don't forget to post some pics when you get it finished.

Larry

Yeah they look kinda like this but not store bought.
Attachments
hinge.jpg
hinge.jpg (9.11 KiB) Viewed 395 times