Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
sambo1985
    Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:35 pm

So I am in school for welding and I am working on 308L 11 gauge SS. I have been using the lay wire technique and its coming out great. The problem is I am having trouble using the dab method on SS. I have tried different various size of electrode and filler rod. And the filler rod keeps sticking to the plate. I have also tried changing my torch angle and angle of my filler rod. I spoke with a friend of mine thats is a CWI and he stated to mean it is possible to dab on SS without sticking. But I need to move quick in and out of the puddle. It has help some but the filler rod still sticks to the metal. Is there anything else I can try or is this something that will just come with more hood time. I have heard plus works great for SS but I am still new to tig welding and don't have much time with pulse settings.

Thanks

Just takes practice, some more then others. If you hit the edge of the puddle you're more likely to stick then in the middle
Richard
Website
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

LtBadd wrote:Just takes practice, some more then others. If you hit the edge of the puddle you're more likely to stick then in the middle
Exactly...or you a tad cold, or the filler is too large and chilling the puddle too quickly.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB