Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
jernigan78
    Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Aloha everyone. I am new to the forum but have been reading these posts for some time. Great group..

Anyway, into my questions. I have a new Dynasty 210DX that was purchased new. Previous to this I was using a Lincoln Tig 200 Squarewave. I have found that with my Dynasty, when I try to ease off the pedal at the end of the weld, I keep ending up with a little "nodule" where the arc stopped. Its like a little pinpoint, raised, but not a crater. No matter how gradually I stop the arc, it seems to keep doing it. Also, as im letting off the pedal, I can hear what can be described as a faint high pitch squeal. I cant pinpoint whats causing that sound, and was hoping someone with more experience could give me some insight. It seems much more pronounced with 3/32 Tungsten than 1/16. actually the 1/16 tungsten would stop the arc with no sound.

I made sure to have the tungsten set to the correct size in the user menu, so that should be an issue.
In the attached pic, I was pulsing at 80 amps, on time @ 40%, backround at 15%. Just a fusion weld.

I don't remember my Tig 200 doing this. I was under the impression that the Dynasty should be much smoother that the Tig 200, so im convinced that its something I am doing wrong, and not the machine. I have checked my grounds, and everything seems to be ok. I have also switched torches from a 17 to a 9, and still the same characteristics.

Any advice guys?
Attachments
holder 2.JPG
holder 2.JPG (66.04 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Does it do this with ALL metals? Which metals have you tried to tig weld with it? If it only does it with only one metal, it may have impurities that are floating up as the weld puddle is solidifying.
jernigan78

Ive only noticed it on stainless. I really dont thinks it the material though, as ive worked
With the batch of stainless with my old machine, and it didnt do the same. Seemed to run fine on AC.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Better that then a belly button hole. When you pull out your filler wire give the arc just a second more time to let that high spot sink down. ^
( insert common shop phrase :?: hair more)
I have more questions than answers

Josh
jernigan78

Ill post up a better pic. Its not the round spot in the middle that im referring to. For these, i leave the rod about 1/8" past the tube, and pulse round the edge. So that center spot is gonna be there. The nodule im referring to is actially really small, jut under the round center. Hard to see. But its very small and raised. Maybe i just need to get used to the machine. But seems like when I stop the arc, its rather abrut. Like a snap. Even when I come down slowly.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

jernigan78 wrote:Ill post up a better pic. Its not the round spot in the middle that im referring to. For these, i leave the rod about 1/8" past the tube, and pulse round the edge. So that center spot is gonna be there. The nodule im referring to is actially really small, jut under the round center. Hard to see. But its very small and raised. Maybe i just need to get used to the machine. But seems like when I stop the arc, its rather abrut. Like a snap. Even when I come down slowly.
You're referring to what I call the "titty", that li'l pointy mound when you tail off without a crater.

I find it very hard to avoid, so I don't. So long as there's not a crater, I live with it, and knock the titty off with a file, and done.

Steve S
jernigan78

Otto Nobedder wrote:
jernigan78 wrote:Ill post up a better pic. Its not the round spot in the middle that im referring to. For these, i leave the rod about 1/8" past the tube, and pulse round the edge. So that center spot is gonna be there. The nodule im referring to is actially really small, jut under the round center. Hard to see. But its very small and raised. Maybe i just need to get used to the machine. But seems like when I stop the arc, its rather abrut. Like a snap. Even when I come down slowly.
You're referring to what I call the "titty", that li'l pointy mound when you tail off without a crater.

I find it very hard to avoid, so I don't. So long as there's not a crater, I live with it, and knock the titty off with a file, and done.

Steve S
Thanks Steve. Ill just try to work with it I guess. Im also wondering if im subconsciously pulling too far away while talering off. Creating a long arc. I just don't remember my Lincoln doing that.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Go into all the menus and make sure your end current is set to zero.
jernigan78

Oscar wrote:Go into all the menus and make sure your end current is set to zero.
Ok that sounds good. Ill review the manual and see how to get to that adjustment. It would make sense if it wasnt set to zero, for that to be happening to me.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

What tungsten size do you have programmed? That dictates minimum amps. If you pick the "Gen" program, you can choose all parameters, including minimum amps. If you have 3/32" as your setting, i believe the minimum amps for that program is 8 or 10 amps. That might be high enough to leave a tit like that.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

In my version of my user manual, sections 6-3 and 6-4 describe getting into the user setup menu and then describe the start parameter adjustments. Just know that the minimum amp setting in the start parameters controls the minimum amps overall, including your end amps.
Lightning
    Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm

My Sync 250 does that sometimes, too. I think the way I got it to stop was by oscillating the torch in little circles as I let off the pedal.
jernigan78

zank wrote:In my version of my user manual, sections 6-3 and 6-4 describe getting into the user setup menu and then describe the start parameter adjustments. Just know that the minimum amp setting in the start parameters controls the minimum amps overall, including your end amps.

Thanks Mike. I was using 3/32 at the time, and had the machine set up for 3/32. Ill try setting up up for 1/16. Are there any issues with setting the machine to run on a small tungsten than whats actually in the torch? I wouldn't think so, but doesn't hurt to ask.

BTW. I would have used a 1/16 tungsten for this, but wanted to use my FUPA cup, which I could only set up with a 3/32 tung.

Mahalo.
jernigan78

Lightning wrote:My Sync 250 does that sometimes, too. I think the way I got it to stop was by oscillating the torch in little circles as I let off the pedal.

Thanks. I was trying that as well, but with the same result. I think adjusting the tungsten size in the menu will do the trick, as Mike suggested. Going to try it tonight.

Thanks guys.