General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

So a couple of the other channels I follow have talked about YouTube and advertising and how they might be screwed. Wranglerstar and Chucke2009 both have talked about having to go to private contributions to fund their channels because Google and YouTube are playin a game of bs. I guess "right-wing" channels are getting the short end of the stick especially. Now Jody never gets political but you know them millennial californians at Google-welding videos-must have an ulterior motive. Does anyone know if Jody is at risk as well? Now... He could thrive on private donations because so many watch and appreciate his videos, but I don't want to see a valuable channel go down because of this.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Farmwelding wrote:So a couple of the other channels I follow have talked about YouTube and advertising and how they might be screwed. Wranglerstar and Chucke2009 both have talked about having to go to private contributions to fund their channels because Google and YouTube are playin a game of bs. I guess "right-wing" channels are getting the short end of the stick especially. Now Jody never gets political but you know them millennial californians at Google-welding videos-must have an ulterior motive. Does anyone know if Jody is at risk as well? Now... He could thrive on private donations because so many watch and appreciate his videos, but I don't want to see a valuable channel go down because of this.
I would hazard a guess that Jody is going to get lumped in with the rest of them. The difference is that Jody probably will be ok because he will get plenty of private donations. The fly-by-nights like ChuckE and others hopefully go by the wayside. Jody is a true educator, the others are opportunists, so hopefully the up and coming welders will realize that and only patronize the real deal. Poor Chucke...crying about how much time and money it takes to make his boring, lengthy videos. If it is eating up too much time and money, then don't do it...or would he miss those advertising bucks and free equipment? I believe in capitalism and people's desire to get ahead in the world, but people like Chucke and others also need to realize that if you stick it out, don't cry when it gets chopped off so don't come whining when your cash cow makes policy changes and the milk dries up. YouTube used to be fun until Google got it's hooks in it. Now it's just another pathetic revenue generator for white dogs who think they know better than us, what we should be allowed to see. Very few educators with a passion for what they do like Jody. Plenty of carpetbaggers trying to re-invent the wheel and crawl over everyones back to make a buck. The universe will re-align when YT goes bust and a void appears.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

Really not sure what you guys are talking about other then something to do with advertising, maybe I don't watch enough YT to have a clue??
Richard
Website
Just Nick
    Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:57 pm

Jody ultimately does not need YouTube he has all the videos on his web site and on the phone app. so in the end it would only hurt YouTube. There are a lot of people like me that only and I mean only watch YouTube to see Jody's Welding tips and tricks videos and if he leaves YouTube so will a lot of people like me. His Videos are the only thing on YT worth a crap IMHO.
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

That was just Chuckies way of awkwardly introducing his patreon.

The dude is just awkward. He thinks he has to talk it up and pour on a bunch of stuff while threatening to take away his content. FWIW- I warn people irl that if they want to learn anything about welding to avoid his channel specifically and go directly to Jodys and the other very good one. I haven't seen that dude do one single weld that would set him apart from from anybody with a PRC welder, and quite a few that shouldn't have even been demonstrated.

I wouldn't even have watched this most recent one except that it comes up due to the "If you watched this..." algorithm.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

It came up in my list too.
I did watch it though, interesting like watching a train wreck.
My brother overheard it and said "who is that pitiful whiner..."

Like usual he should have talked much, much less.
The introduction of a pay area is all that needed saying - the rest just made him look bad.

I agree with PeteM, I steer my students away from him and Mr.Tig.

My students have asked me to make videos.
I tell them there is no need, plenty of videos by Jody and others who are better than me anyway.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
exnailpounder

MinnesotaDave wrote:It came up in my list too.
I did watch it though, interesting like watching a train wreck.
My brother overheard it and said "who is that pitiful whiner..."

Like usual he should have talked much, much less.
The introduction of a pay area is all that needed saying - the rest just made him look bad.

I agree with PeteM, I steer my students away from him and Mr.Tig.

My students have asked me to make videos.
I tell them there is no need, plenty of videos by Jody and others who are better than me anyway.
As someone mentioned above..I have never seen Chucke do an awesome weld or even a really good weld and Mr.Tig should be ashamed of himself for the goose turds he puts out..."world reknowned tig expert"...my ass. Jody was was acknowledged and awarded something by I think the AWS a year or two ago...none of clowns were. There are a few other guys putting out some good stuff but plenty of wannabe's trying to convince the unsuspecting that they have superior insight into welding above and beyond the 75+ years it took the rest of us dipshits to learn how to weld. Don't let the door hit you in the ass there Chucke!
jroark
    Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:39 pm

Yeah I quit watching ol Chucke 2009 a while ha I just because of the length of the videos that could been done in a third of the time if you took out all the talking and advertising. I like Jodys videos and a new one I've been watching is the 6061 guy. He does some nice work. I agree that supply and demand should be able to correct all the stuff happening with YT. They won't lose money but for so long.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Here's the citation Jody got from AWS, reprinted with permission from the AWS Journal.
Jody%20Page%20003.jpg
Jody%20Page%20003.jpg (125.09 KiB) Viewed 2860 times
Steve S
Farmwelding

Yeah Mr. Tig is a fun guy. Glad that he and the other guy got replaced by Bob. He's not ashamed to make a mistake and is fun to listen to.

Also... I would have never guessed Jodys first name was William.

And as for other videos... I feel like any other videos by someone with experience could be valuable. Certain people may not like the way Jody talks or teaches(I don't know why they would but you never know). Some people may learn better from someone like Dave or anybody really with experience. Different experiences may provide different perspective. Jody-pipe background and airplane. Maybe a structural welder or something like that and then you have a greater background of knowledge and perspective. As long as there is experience and they aren't cocky like Mr. Tig. Other than that it could help others and add to the arsenal.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

Farmwelding wrote:Yeah Mr. Tig is a fun guy. Glad that he and the other guy got replaced by Bob. He's not ashamed to make a mistake and is fun to listen to.

Also... I would have never guessed Jodys first name was William.

And as for other videos... I feel like any other videos by someone with experience could be valuable. Certain people may not like the way Jody talks or teaches(I don't know why they would but you never know). Some people may learn better from someone like Dave or anybody really with experience. Different experiences may provide different perspective. Jody-pipe background and airplane. Maybe a structural welder or something like that and then you have a greater background of knowledge and perspective. As long as there is experience and they aren't cocky like Mr. Tig. Other than that it could help others and add to the arsenal.

i will agree with u on BOB he is prety good and like you said is not afreade to mess up and admit it..

as for chuckie.. he kinda quite making good stuff when he moved to texas. if he would not of taken free shit i think he would of been better off..
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.
exnailpounder

Otto Nobedder wrote:Here's the citation Jody got from AWS, reprinted with permission from the AWS Journal.
Jody%20Page%20003.jpg
Steve S
Jody was rewarded for his committment to the welding profession. chucke was rewarded by YT for having subscribers to his boring videos....BIG difference!
Farmwelding

exnailpounder wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:Here's the citation Jody got from AWS, reprinted with permission from the AWS Journal.
Jody%20Page%20003.jpg
Steve S
Jody was rewarded for his committment to the welding profession. chucke was rewarded by YT for having subscribers to his boring videos....BIG difference!
Wait? So you're telling me someone who has welded for decades and has trained hundreds personally and then many more through youtube and has had countless hours behind a hood and then created all of the resources for us like the channel, forum, podcasts, and he'll even some products deserves more respect than a guy who build sketchy oil tanks, gantry cranes, and then get free welders to run his personal shop with? Well what a screwed world we live in then. Gosh chucke is the only YouTube welder we should listen to.

Wait...no that's not it
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nick
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

AVE, a Canadian chooch meister uses a patereon to fund his videos. I don't like the idea of a continuing payment, I'd rather a one off . But I did buy a ruler from him. Warning: Don't watch his videos unless you like swearing and laughing your ass off.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

I wonder if it is really less revenue per view or just fewer views. I think fewer people are watching Chuckee2009 after he embarrassed himself on WW.
Multimatic 255

Farmwelding wrote:So a couple of the other channels I follow have talked about YouTube and advertising and how they might be screwed. Wranglerstar and Chucke2009 both have talked about having to go to private contributions to fund their channels because Google and YouTube are playin a game of bs. I guess "right-wing" channels are getting the short end of the stick especially. Now Jody never gets political but you know them millennial californians at Google-welding videos-must have an ulterior motive. Does anyone know if Jody is at risk as well? Now... He could thrive on private donations because so many watch and appreciate his videos, but I don't want to see a valuable channel go down because of this.
I really appreciate the concern but I think I will be ok. Just plugging away.

Jody
JEKS
    Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:54 pm

Why do you believe Jody might be at risk?

His videos are well edited, apolitical and focused.

His advertising is minimal and unintrusive.

He doesn't spout to hear his own voice and discusses first hand experience from his varied career.

Taken in whole, this is a recipe for success.

If he chose to discuss politics or religion, he would open himself to criticism.

He hasn't, so I expect he'll be just fine (as he posted a bit before this post).

Good on you Jody!
Farmwelding

JEKS wrote:Why do you believe Jody might be at risk?

His videos are well edited, apolitical and focused.

His advertising is minimal and unintrusive.

He doesn't spout to hear his own voice and discusses first hand experience from his varied career.

Taken in whole, this is a recipe for success.

If he chose to discuss politics or religion, he would open himself to criticism.

He hasn't, so I expect he'll be just fine (as he posted a bit before this post).

Good on you Jody!
I assumed he walkouts by but you never know those guys at Google. They are taking down simple gun channels and people like wranglerstar-Okay he talked politics-first amendment apply here?- if they take out a guy like wranglerstar for not being "family-friendly" who knows what they would do.
Nick
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

I just watched a couple of this Wranglerstars videos.

His channel still works just fine. They are demonetizing a lot of content,which is the advertisers choice, but no channels have been "shut down" that I can see.
Farmwelding

PeteM wrote:I just watched a couple of this Wranglerstars videos.

His channel still works just fine. They are demonetizing a lot of content,which is the advertisers choice, but no channels have been "shut down" that I can see.
I think most are going to continue doing channel work, but slow down if they can't get some private donations or google decides to back off some.
Nick
JEKS
    Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:54 pm

Yes, seems like outright bans are uncommon.
The ones that have been banned seem deserving. e.g. Alex Jones isn't harmless and his 'news' isn't.
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

The channels at risk (or at least the content/producer) that get their only source of income from the ad revenue and have rode the 'gravy train' of steadily increasing revenues and per-view monetization to satisfy their craving for goodies/bits/items until now.

Even apart from the major goof-up on Google's part with putting ads on very questionable content, there's always the risk that the price paid for advertising space gets lowered. That's what's basically happening now. A lot of advertisers have pulled back so there's now a large amount of available 'slots' for the remaining ones to buy into so prices go down.

To sustain their 'habit' some content creators are now suddenly looking towards paid subscriptions. Seems like a bit of a hack to me, but it may work if their fan base is loyal/crazy/persistent (choose your option ;) ) enough..

To me it still seems like it would be better to have diversified in the past and gotten multiple cashflows getting in so if one gets lower then the impact is much less. A channel like AvE (and others) have been using Patreon for some time already and that has given them a different source of income to start with.

I may be wrong, but I don't see Jody as a person who puts all his eggs in 1 basket, so I suspect he may not like the reduction in ad revenues (it's not fun for a content creator), but that he has enough other cashflows to not have to go to 'panic' actions like others.

Bye, Arno.
exnailpounder

Jody's newest video addresses the subject of YT at the very end. He stands tall and will survive while the short hitters are scrambling because YT is stealing their lunch money. Que Pink Floyd's "Money" " I'm all right Jack, keep your hands off of my stack" 8-)
Fly
  • Fly
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:07 am

I guess I don't under stand how YouTube works as far as the money thing. I know I enjoy it & even
Chucky. No question Jody is the best. The man has taught me so much. When my e-mail pops
up Jody I can't wait to open it. But I watch them all from time to time, even that Kevin guy &
that's hard to do.

I wish some one would explain what you guys are talking about these channels being drooped? :?:

Fly
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Jody is an incredible welder, has a personality I wish I had, and has a God given ability to teach. In essence, a chain with no weak link.

Bob Moffat comes close to him in the benefit he can offer.

Chuck E 2009 is a bit too commercial, and a bit under skilled. Mr TIG; Not too skilled, knowledgeable, but not so very skilled. Each of them have taught me something. Jody gets the trophy.

Willie