mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

Last night I practice my MIG welding, lap-welding two pieces of 1/8" Home Depot (only the finest) steel. While I was doing the first weld, I realized I did not remember turning the helmet on. When I flipped the metal over to weld the other side, I stopped and turned the shade on.

The weird thing is that I saw at least as well as I ever do. The weld was great, by my standards.

My understanding is that the base shade on auto helmets is around 5. Does ANYONE do MIG with the shade that low?

I'm starting to think I'm so old I need more light than other people, but I never heard of anyone welding with the helmet turned off.
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.

You sure your's doesn't auto-turn-on when there's an arc struck, even though it's turned off at the time? My Miller does that.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I know all the helmets I've used have shade 3 as background when not welding. I have welded with it on grind mode-shade 3 and couldn't see crap. It was far too bright. I believe I have welded in cut mode too-shade 5-8(usually 5) and I still had kind of rough time seeing and was seeing some stars after. Like he said up there, It may be always on and you think you have to turn it on. My miller digital infinity darkens without anything from me, but if I want to adjust it, then I have to turn it on.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Most helmets darken out automatically, hence the auto darkening. I have never seen one that didnn't turn on as soon as the arc was struck unless your blocking the sensors or the battery is dead or the helmets just plain dead OR the sensitivity is set way too low.
if there's a welder, there's a way
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Old speedglass helmets were about a 5 shade and wouldn't go dark unless you turned them on. Worked with a guy who had bad eyesight. He forgot to turn his on one day and burned his eyes. Said he was wondering why he could see so well that day. Then missed a week of work because of it.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

My helmet has an "ON" switch. If you don't turn it on, nothing happens. It also turns off by itself after a certain length of time (thanks, Al Gore), so you have to push the button every time you put it down for a few minutes.
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

I always check auto darks by striking a lighter in front of it. Seems to work.

Just a little tip/trick. I have cheapo harbor freight ones, and they are always charging as long as they are near a light source, but if you leave them under a bench or in the trunk too long, they go dead, so it's always nice to be able to give them a little test before sparking up.