What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?

So here is the preliminary build of my rotator, it works as is but it's still not finished. The wood base is temporary and I want to fab a frame that'll allow me to position this from horizontal to vertical.

Spent quite a bit of time looking for components, the best find was the Dayton 90v DC motor along with speed controller, forward/reverse and foot control, all came as a package, used on eBay.

I know Jeff and maybe a few others are in the process so I thought I'd start a thread.
The plate I had cut at a local laser shop with slots for 3 and 4 bolt pattern, my first Fusion 360 project
The plate I had cut at a local laser shop with slots for 3 and 4 bolt pattern, my first Fusion 360 project
Img_0530a.jpg (43.43 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
Foot control on left then speed/direction box
Foot control on left then speed/direction box
Img_0532a.jpg (50.36 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
Richard
Website
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I like the ground cable on the spring.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Beautiful!

And that's exactly how I'd have done the ground. 10,000 contact points and not grounding through the bearings. I would "lubricate" the ground contact point with No-Ox-Ide A or similar to prevent corrosion/tarnishing from interfering with contact down the road.

Nice build!

Steve S
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Nice Richard! I am having a few engineering problems with the way I want mine built but I think I have it figured out. The most important thing to me is I want the whole thing built out of junk parts I have accumulated (read garbage picked) and shade tree engineering. Awesome idea for the ground strap on the spring!
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

richard
i have an old 4 jaw chuck. maybe ill build one too.
I'm sure i need another project..lol
mind if a hack a few of your ideas?
nice build!
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

Thanks everyone, that motor has great low end torque, I've used name brand units that would falter at low speed but this thing is very consistent.

Craig go for it, I modeled this after a unit I saw on YT.
Richard
Website
exnailpounder

Hey Richard. This is the problem I am having so I am going to ask you this question...You said your wood base was temporary. When you fab one, which I assume will be metal, how will you isolate welding current from motor current? Right now with the wooden base and the belt, the 2 circuits are isolated but if you use metal for a base, you will no longer be isolated because of the bearings and metal fasteners right? I am going through hell trying to figure out how to protect my motor from welding current. If I stare at it long enough, I'll figure it out but I thought I might pick your brain here :lol:
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

jeff
you have a lath, fab up some nylon bungs to separate metal from bolts.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
exnailpounder

motox wrote:jeff
craig
I was thinking about some Delrin sleeves and thrust washers..would Delrin be a good choice? I know it's very machinable.

exnailpounder wrote:
craig
I was thinking about some Delrin sleeves and thrust washers..would Delrin be a good choice? I know it's very machinable.
Sounds like you may already have an answer, I haven't gotten that far. :(

Question, may be stupid, even with a metal frame if the ground strap remains on the shaft, wouldn't the current take the most direct path (of least resistance)?
Richard
Website
Poland308

Die electric flange kits for bolting up flanges use a plastic sleeve that looks like a big straw ( about the same material and thickness) to go around the bolts. And then fiber washers that look like circuit board material. About 1/8 thick.

Josh
exnailpounder

Poland308 wrote:Die electric flange kits for bolting up flanges use a plastic sleeve that looks like a big straw ( about the same material and thickness) to go around the bolts. And then fiber washers that look like circuit board material. About 1/8 thick.
That would certainly save some time. I'm gonna check McMaster-Carr this morning.
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

I am using something like these with my build...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Glastic-2015- ... Swol5Y3Dne
Poland308

I Used a set of rubber mounts like that for a pedestal grinder that I built it makes it kind of hard to tension the belt because it begins to sideload the rubber grommets.

Josh
exnailpounder

LtBadd wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:
craig
Sounds like you may already have an answer, I haven't gotten that far. :(

Question, may be stupid, even with a metal frame if the ground strap remains on the shaft, wouldn't the current take the most direct path (of least resistance)?
All you have to do is isolate your motor. My set up is different.
exnailpounder

20170501_123827.jpg
20170501_123827.jpg (52.97 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
20170501_125329.jpg
20170501_125329.jpg (56.14 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
I got mine wired up and running today. All the motor parts and right-angle drive were all inside of that box laying on the floor so I have had to build all new brackets for mine...then I managed to lose the wiring diagram I made :? This is going to be an ongoing, no hurry to get it done kind of a deal. I am going to machine up some pulleys out of acetyl copolymer for pulleys to isolate the drive motor. Don't know how I'm gonna do it all yet but it will be slick when it's done.