Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I had seen some pictures of some guys inserting a stick electrodes in the collet of their tig torch. Is this actually a thing you can do? As you may or may not know I am interested in running some 7018s we got but only have AC buzz box and was wondering if this was okay or not. I feel like it is not okay but could be interesting. High frequency stick welding with amperage control?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

People do it for laughs mostly - but as long as you switch to DC+ it will work just fine.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:People do it for laughs mostly - but as long as you switch to DC+ it will work just fine.
Dang it... It is DCEN only.

But I can do this with no problem huh. I figured it was a bad thing. I may try it for craps and laughs now.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Farmwelding wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote:People do it for laughs mostly - but as long as you switch to DC+ it will work just fine.
Dang it... It is DCEN only.

But I can do this with no problem huh. I figured it was a bad thing. I may try it for craps and laughs now.
It's just a cable swap under the cover. There are pics and I believe a video on how to make the cables removable like they should have already been to begin with.

I don't recall if the diversion actually ends up stick welding good or not though.

It's another reason a Syncro 250 is a good machine for teaching - stick and tig very well.

Edit: if it were me, I'd try 6013 and/or 7014 on AC before I tried switching out anything under the cover.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Its haNdy for getting the stick rod right into a tight spot. Slide it right in then hit the button/pedal. Jody wrote about it once. (he published the pic you see on the net, and i think he has a video of doing it....of course)
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

There are cases of 6010 root, TIG out, where this technique is very handy. You only have to change polarity, not your whole stinger. Not too common, but not unheard of.

Steve