mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
JHenze646
    Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:44 pm

I have seen a couple threads where there is reference to running solid wire with 100% CO2. What are the pros and cons of this practice? Is there any special considerations for running straight CO2?

Thanks for the help
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

The biggest "pro" is cost. 100% CO2 is much less expensive than, say, 75/25 Ar/CO2.

The biggest "con" is increased weld spatter to clean. The initial appearance of the bead is less attractive, too, but a wire wheel fixes that right up.

It's been so long since I welded straight CO2 that I can't guide you on differences in settings, though I recall they weren't much different.

Steve
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I've done some straight CO2 and it isn't a ton different. If you look at the Miller weld calculator, you have to increase your voltage some to get a similar weld profile/strength. For someone who is doing stuff in their garage, I honestly would reccomend it. As Steve said-cheaper, and you don't necessarily have to get bottles filled at a welders supply store. Have a store that sells and fills paintball gear you can go there.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Another 'con' is co2 welds hotter than argon-co2, so it tends to melt through thinner materials such as auto body panels.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I use 100% co2 pretty often. Once dialed in it welds very well - set 1 to 2 more volts over argon/co2 mix.

Spatter accumulates in the nozzle, so nozzle dip and a little cleaning once and a while is the deal.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.