mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
paulnapper
    Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:23 pm

Good evening, looking for some advice. New to welding. I am attaching one of my better (well I think) simple beads from this evenings practice. With my CE 90 amp FC welder, I am looking for some tips. Speed too slow, or wire feed to fast? I am not sure at all. Thank you for your help in advance.
Attachments
IMG_3564.JPG
IMG_3564.JPG (42.26 KiB) Viewed 2179 times
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

The weld looks decent but I really don't feel qualified to judge. One suggestion to improve the appearance and make cleanup much easier is use Anti Spatter spray. There is a difference in sprays. To check shake the can. If it sounds real thick it probably is for welding tips . If it sounds watery in the can it's probably ok. Just spray a light dampening only coat in the weld area and go. A quick hit with a wire brush or wheel and clean. I give every weld ( all flux core ) a shot and clean up is minimal. I mistakenly bought a can of the thick stuff and it came out looking like bacon grease. Hopefully I can give it away. Someone with more knowledge than me can comment on your technique. Good luck. ;) :geek:
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

That slag stuck in the toes doesn't look too good. The other part is that except for some advanced processes, AC isn't very good for mig/flux core welding.
Rhyno21
    Tue May 13, 2014 2:11 pm

How is that even an equivalent to a brand name flux core welder? I mean (Lincoln, Miller, Evan, Everlast, and Longevity).
Hot rods and burning matal by day
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Rhyno21 wrote:How is that even an equivalent to a brand name flux core welder? I mean (Lincoln, Miller, Evan, Everlast, and Longevity).
It's not, and doesn't pretend to be. This is a bare-bones, get-er-done in a pinch at home machine. I've only used one once, when I tested it after repairing it for a friend. It does get the job done in a minimalist version of "brute force". The biggest hazard is the contact tip is always live; The trigger only activates the wire feeder. This makes a shock hazard in wet conditions, and you can't carelessly lay your gun on your work surface.

Steve
paulnapper

Thank you for the feedback. Steve you mentioned a shock hazard. Since I am not that familiar with welding and welders do I need to make sure my work area is free from water? A little nervous after reading your post. Also Steve what type of beginning welder do you recommend. Also I am on a budget. Thanks for your feedback in advance.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

paulnapper wrote:Thank you for the feedback. Steve you mentioned a shock hazard. Since I am not that familiar with welding and welders do I need to make sure my work area is free from water? A little nervous after reading your post. Also Steve what type of beginning welder do you recommend. Also I am on a budget. Thanks for your feedback in advance.
It's not lethal or it couldn't be sold. It's just eye-opening. The shock hazard is minimal in a shop/garage, working on a bench or under a car on dry concrete. I know of a few people who had to work under cars outside on wet soil that got zapped by coming in contact with the tip. Remember, with this machine, the tip is always live when the machine is on. I also know of a few who've had the tip come in contact with sweaty skin while touching the truck or car the machine was grounded to. This is a nastier shock, but still more a surprise than a threat.

Watching where you put the gun down relative to your work piece is important, because the tip will arc off on anything the machine is grounded to whether you hit the trigger or not.

As for beginner suggestions on a budget, Harbor Freight can't be beat for their "bring it back, we'll give you another" policy. That said, I'd scour Cragslist for an Everlast Power iMig 200 used. I have one of the earliest production models, and have used it for surprising things, including code welds. It also stick welds nicely. I used it Monday on some simple structure. It can run with gas or without.

I'm sure others will have more suggestions. There are tons of entry-level machines on Craigslist, from two classes of people... Those who thought they'd teach themselves to weld and gave up, and those who didn't buy nearly enough machine for their needs.

Steve
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Considering what I am hearing about this welder you are doing ok. I'am wondering if you should crank up the heat a bit? I had a 100 Lincoln flux core for many years and it worked flawlessly with zero repairs. Depends where you want to go if a 110V meets your needs or you have bigger plans in mind. :) :geek:
paulnapper

Thanks homeboy! I have some work to do for sure.
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

not bad for Flux core on AC current..
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.