General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Glowzinski
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:08 pm

Ok, wow, it has been a long time since I have been on this site. I need two things. First, does anyone know, of a place in Maryland, that lets you go through scrap metal? I want a place I can get a bunch of random metal. I am the kind of dude that just sees something in his mind and makes it. haha

Second, I have a Bobcat 250 and an AHP Alpha Tig. The tig has a good cart. But, the Bobcat has one that I got from a garden store. LOL I can tell, the thing is about to bend and die. So, I need a good steel cart. Does anyone have info on how to make one? What I really need, is a design. I could just get some 1/4 steel tube and make it. But, specifics seem rather important.

Thank you for the information.

base.png
base.png (762.6 KiB) Viewed 373 times
Glowzinski wrote:Ok, wow, it has been a long time since I have been on this site. I need two things. First, does anyone know, of a place in Maryland, that lets you go through scrap metal? I want a place I can get a bunch of random metal. I am the kind of dude that just sees something in his mind and makes it. haha

Second, I have a Bobcat 250 and an AHP Alpha Tig. The tig has a good cart. But, the Bobcat has one that I got from a garden store. LOL I can tell, the thing is about to bend and die. So, I need a good steel cart. Does anyone have info on how to make one? What I really need, is a design. I could just get some 1/4 steel tube and make it. But, specifics seem rather important.

Thank you for the information.
In the manual for your Bobcat, there should be a drawing of a channel steel base you can (and should) build for mounting the unit in a truck or wherever. I built it for my Bobcat 225 but extended each end 6" so I could run hold-down bolts through the base and trailer floor easily. You could do the same thing and mount 8" (or so) casters at each corner and you'd have a much cheaper version of the Miller jobsite cart.

One area in which you need to be very careful of your measurements is the location of the holes for the bolts which hold the welder to the base. They have to match with holes in the welder. On mine, I drilled the holes, then stuck bolts up through them and tacked the bolt heads in place. That way the welder just sits down over the bolts and I install Nyloc nuts from the top.

Here's a pic of the base I built. It's a bit dirty because the welder's on another trailer now which didn't need the base.

Larry
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Glowzinski
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:08 pm

Thank you. Well, brain injury in 03. Left with 8% of my vision. No driving for me. haha I just want something to move it from the place that it is, to the yard. I forgot about the manual though. haha I shall check.