General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
RIDETOEAT
    Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:00 pm

I am asking because I learned to this point and enjoyed welding with my Dynasty 300DX and it does it's part real well. It is for the most part the only inverter TIG I have ever used. Played around with a precision TIg 275 I think it was and I had a Miller 200DX for a short while but decided to buy more amps for aluminum and only have one welder. Wished I'd of kept it many times for 110v portable tig. I have only had one small issue when my 300DX was newer and under warranty. I has beed great for the last 10 years but have read some content online recently about some irreplaceable parts problems that could end it's life. My welding is mostly hobby and not paid work but I want to have good dependable equipment when I do want to use it. This has me considering updating or maybe it is upgrading welders but if I had a known repair station that could keep it going It would be seemingly less of a concern. My budget situation for a big expenditure like this and it's timing is good now more so than in the foreseeable future due to semi retiring and trying to get my major hobby shop toys in order so to speak. Not like I am retiring completely poor but It would be nice to buy while I still had the higher income rather than the day after it drops dramatically I guess.

As an add on related question, and because it is partly driving my desire to buy a new welder....... Would I as a hobby grade welder see anything different or improved like for example improved hf start or smoother arc stability from a newer technology in something like a new Dynasty 280 or the Everlast 255EXT. All three are adequate amperage for anything I would do. I am just curious and I am kinda guessing not so much because I cannot think of anything mine wont do or needs improved upon but surely 12 or 15 years has brought something new to the table that would be at least fun to play with. I welcome any and all opinions including those that might not be favorable towards my Dynasty 300DX I know it was a short production run welder and I am maybe lucky is has remained a good one thus far. Just to read about them would have me think it was a lemon in the lineup but a bit hard to knock on mine other than it was never really heavily used and stored well when not in use so maybe never strained like some get. Let me know what you think.
Still running the old Dynasty 300 DX and Millermatic 251 as primary machines.
Poleframer
    Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:47 am

I'm sure others would agree that concern is one of the benefits of going Miller, or Lincoln. Miller really stands behind their equipment. You can look up your machine, and dial down to the model/SN at this site https://www.millerwelds.com/support/manuals-and-parts, to download the manual and parts schematic for it, and check the availability of any part in it at miller4less http://miller4less.com/allprods.php .You might be surprised how far back they keep parts inventory for, and with a call to service will help you through any repair issue.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

There comes a time when you can still get parts to fix a machine, but cost/ benefit of buying a new machine ( often with higher amps or other additional features) and getting waranty out weighs repairing an old machine. Especially if your relying on you machine for daily work.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Some comments on the 300DX on here ;

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/co ... asty-300dx

from someone who services them.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

300DX
spent a year searching for a board/repair - proprietary parts (micro controller)
No luck - stick worked ,no TIG.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
RIDETOEAT

Ok, thanks for confirming what i was already gathering from reading around on the net.

I would still like to hear from someone who has replaced their dead 300dx and what they thought of the welding experience with their new welder ??? It will be really hard for me to buy and pay the premimum for miller equipment in the future after getting stuck with an orphan welder for the price i paid new. I might as well get my moneys worth and go to everlast next time. Maybe something will be even better if and when mine craps out. May never happen since it has so few hours on it, i was just considering a pre-emptive purchase. But if there is no real advancment since my 300 came out it will be my tig machine.
    Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:44 am

RIDETOEAT wrote:
I would still like to hear from someone who has replaced their dead 300dx and what they thought of the welding experience with their new welder ???
Hey RIDETOEAT,

I just replaced my Miller Dynasty 300 DX with a new Dynasty 400. My 300 gave me amazing service for just shy of 14 years. A push button pad on the front panel went bad. I took it into the repair shop and they said the part was not available anymore and started to look for a used part. I started to think about the lifestyle that my 300 Dynasty machine afforded me. It was actually quite amazing and I literally ordered a new machine that day. 2 Days Later I was making money with it.

The things that I like better about it are the wireless foot pedal, high frequency starts are amazing (the stock settings are a little aggressive), you can do a software upgrade with an SD card, the fan on demand cooler, and the individual amperage/ wave shape adjustment in AC mode. The other thing thats nice is you don't have to have double jointed fingers and a long arm to reach around the back of the machine to get into the hidden menus. Welding with the new machine is definitely nice. I'm enjoying the new adjustments on the AC side of things . I would not have bought a new one if my old 300 was still working. What I wish I would have done sooner is bought a wireless pedal! That thing is legit.

I think I would keep your 300 and enjoy it. Worry about it breaking down when it actually breaks down. Just an FYI, they did locate a front panel for my 300. It was used and they wanted $600 for it. So for about $800 I could get my 300 up and running with a 30 day warranty.

Hope this helps!

HUGH
:)
Attachments
20170523_101758.jpg
20170523_101758.jpg (67.37 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
20170426_141942-01.jpeg
20170426_141942-01.jpeg (90.59 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
Every day is a gift.... Enjoy them!!!
RIDETOEAT

Ya, mine is still doing fine for now. I will just cool it and may never have to replace it and if and when I do I will be geting the latest and greatest of technology. Do you really notice a lot of improvement in the HF starts ??
    Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:44 am

Yes, the high-frequency start on the new machine is pretty nice. On the DC side I have the start at 10 amps(stock is 60) and on the AC side I have the start amps at 15(stock is 30). On the DC side I do lower it all the way down to 5 amps on certain jobs but most of the time it stays at 10. With the new machine The Arc just seems to "pop" on. Same thing with the 300 but the newer machine is noticeably smoother and more consistent. Is it worth the price of a new machine? No way. It still cracks me up but what I'm most impressed with is the wireless foot pedal.

HUGH
:)
Every day is a gift.... Enjoy them!!!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Hey, RIDETOEAT, if you're on Instagram, contact @arcdoctor. He can fix anything (and I mean that literally), and since he's way out of your area, he may be able to connect you with someone closer to you who can help.

Steve