General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.

I know Jeff and maybe a few others have used this, looking for feedback and suggestions for this and other products that clean and remove slight heat tint on stainless

LINK to product
Richard
Website
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

LtBadd wrote:I know Jeff and maybe a few others have used this, looking for feedback and suggestions for this and other products that clean and remove slight heat tint on stainless

LINK to product
I use it all the time. Are you looking to get rid of colors on the bead itself or the color bands in the HAZ? It will do both. I usually just scrub the color out with a greenie pad if it's just a keg or something that I don't have to be careful of the finish. If you're worried about the finish, make a paste from the powder and wipe it on and let it sit for awhile.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIT a minute.

IS there some way to make heat tint dissapear off stainless with barkeepers friend?
if there's a welder, there's a way
exnailpounder

Olivero wrote:WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIT a minute.

IS there some way to make heat tint dissapear off stainless with barkeepers friend?
Yup!

Bought this at Lowes yesterday, can't beat the price $2

Anyone ever use the Dynaflux 781?
Richard
Website

exnailpounder wrote:

Yup!
Well for feck sake tell me how?!

Barkeepers friend is kept in the shop for cleaning purposes, like actual cleaning purposes, I had no idea I could use it for something useful.
exnailpounder

LtBadd wrote:Bought this at Lowes yesterday, can't beat the price $2

Anyone ever use the Dynaflux 781?
You got that at Lowes? Give us the skinny on it. I have been happy with BKF but if this works good I might give it a try. Wood bleach(oxalic acid) is the concentrated form of BKF and is pretty amazing too but you need to wear chemical resistant gloves to use it....very strong.
exnailpounder

Olivero wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:

Yup!
Well for feck sake tell me how?!

Barkeepers friend is kept in the shop for cleaning purposes, like actual cleaning purposes, I had no idea I could use it for something useful.
I just wet a greenie pad and sprinkle the powder on it and work it into the pad and then just scrub the welds and leave it sit for a few minutes and then rinse or wipe it off. Makes stainless welds look like they grew there. It's freaking awesome on copper too. I use it to clean old copper pipes when I am sweating new pipes to old.

exnailpounder wrote: I just wet a greenie pad and sprinkle the powder on it and work it into the pad and then just scrub the welds and leave it sit for a few minutes and then rinse or wipe it off. Makes stainless welds look like they grew there. It's freaking awesome on copper too. I use it to clean old copper pipes when I am sweating new pipes to old.
Damn, I had no idea. Does the green scrubbie not scratch the stainless?
exnailpounder

Olivero wrote:
exnailpounder wrote: I just wet a greenie pad and sprinkle the powder on it and work it into the pad and then just scrub the welds and leave it sit for a few minutes and then rinse or wipe it off. Makes stainless welds look like they grew there. It's freaking awesome on copper too. I use it to clean old copper pipes when I am sweating new pipes to old.
It will. If you need to preserve the finish, just make a paste out of the powder and wipe it on with you finger and let it sit for a few minutes and wipe it off with a damp rag or paper towel. You'll kinda figure out the best way to do it. The nice thing is it doesn't do anything to the surrounding metal so it will all look the same. I would try a test piece first though. I use it mostly on kegs for repassivation so finish doesn't concern me.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Olivero wrote:
There's a blue scrubby, that has no abrasive.

Steve

Cool, so what make a paste with a bit of water and let it sit, wipe it off and that's all?
exnailpounder

Olivero wrote:Cool, so what make a paste with a bit of water and let it sit, wipe it off and that's all?
You might have to rub a bit but its acid so....try a test piece to see what you need to do.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

jeff
have you ever used the liquid type?
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
exnailpounder

motox wrote:jeff
have you ever used the liquid type?
craig
Never have. I started using the powder on recommendation from a friend who also welds on kegs for homebrewers. It just looks better to return a keg to the owner with the welds nice and clean and bright rather than colored and I know the brewers all use it too. I would assume the liquid works just as well.

I am gonna have to give this a shot, thanks.
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

That stuff does work well, a friend and I are home brewers. He has a Nano Stout 3V setup mine is a Spike system we both use Bar Keepers to clean the kettles, never thought to use it to clean welds. Always learning something around here!! ;)
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225

pgk wrote:That stuff does work well, a friend and I are home brewers. He has a Nano Stout 3V setup mine is a Spike system we both use Bar Keepers to clean the kettles, never thought to use it to clean welds. Always learning something around here!! ;)
When Jeff and home-brew beer are in the conversation, expect to learn at least one new thing...

Steve
exnailpounder

Otto Nobedder wrote:
pgk wrote:That stuff does work well, a friend and I are home brewers. He has a Nano Stout 3V setup mine is a Spike system we both use Bar Keepers to clean the kettles, never thought to use it to clean welds. Always learning something around here!! ;)
When Jeff and home-brew beer are in the conversation, expect to learn at least one new thing...

Steve
When I made my own beer...I added MUCH more sugar( malt wasn't doing the job) than was needed to give my beer the extra kick...Extra priming sugar helps a whole lot too. Now I just drink shine or vodka...not necessarily to excess 8-) Anybody "learn" learn anything? :lol:

I've learned you're going to be a lot of fun to hang with, when I
comecollectthatbeeryouoweme.

Steve
exnailpounder

Otto Nobedder wrote:I've learned you're going to be a lot of fun to hang with, when I
comecollectthatbeeryouoweme.

Steve
:lol: I gotta change that...if all you guys come calling at the same time, I'm gonna get my ass whooped.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

And be out of beer to nurse the wounds!
I have more questions than answers

Josh