Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
Shapiro
    Fri May 05, 2017 5:56 pm

Hello, I'm Dave. I've been welding and fabricating over 40 years. Worked for Shnitzer steel,had my own business. Now I work with my son at his business MDS welding and line boring. I do mostly commercial work building huge conveyors and repairing dump bodies and excavation equipment. I'd like to share with you my patent pending welding clamps I came up with about 10 years ago. The one used in the video is over 10 years old and is just about indestructible.I'm 61 so I've become burnt out over the years and would like to get these out on the market. I've tried ebay, amazon and Facebook but no bites. The clamps are made of AR 400, grade 8 threaded rod with a grade 8 coupling nut. They aren't cheap to make. Anyway please check out my video and let me know your thoughts. I tried to add the video by attachment but it didn't take, hopefully the link works.They save so much time and I don't understand why there isn't any interest.If I could just find a way to get these out there I might be able to get out of the daily grind. Thank you.

https://youtu.be/kNJZFVWnb6E
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Hello, Dave, and welcome to our community!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I've been making and using those for over 30 years, and I learned it from a fellow older than I am now.

The most common description I heard in the trades is "screw-dog". I presently use them on vessels and structure, and have used them on large-bore pipe.

You're going to need to create a unique feature to successfully patent something that's been on the public domain for at least 60 years.

Steve
Shapiro

Hey Otto wish I'd have known better. Well that's discouraging alright. So I was a year old when someone was onto this. I can't believe after all these years I've never seen or heard of a screw dog. It must have originated from using a dawg and a wedge I can see that. Do yo know of anyone selling these in the marketplace anywhere? Do you think it would be worth my while to put these out there. Glad to have found out before I wasted anymore money. Thanks, Dave

Dave, I've seen so many iterations of this, I can't see how to make it unique. There's a version for critical pipe (where you can't have arcs outside the weld) that use a chain-vice configuration in place of welding it down.

I've also cut many wedge dogs (also called L-dogs, depending on region) on the fly, and keep a half-dozen wedges in my gangbox.

There's even a version for drawing/pushing pipe joints where two legs with small pipe are welded to opposite legs of a pipe joint so all-thread can be ran between them to serve as drawing or jacking bolts, as the alignment requires.

If you'd never seen a screw dog before, and thought of it independently, it speaks to a creative mind.

Steve

Shapiro wrote: I can't believe after all these years I've never seen or heard of a screw dog...
I can. I encounter people all the time who are amazed to see it. In it's simplest form, I'll weld half a broken C-clamp to a steel base, and cut out half the work. Two of these hang on my auxiliary box and get used often. In some trades it's common. In others, it may never be seen.

Steve
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Dave, welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Welcome Dave!

I've welded plates onto a cut off clamps as well? Or I've welded a cross piece onto a prybar turning it into a mini teter toter. But I use these all the time.
http://bubbatool.com/product/sumner-781 ... aQod0IkDag
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Shapiro

Thanks for the kind words everyone. You've saved me alot of time and money. This is the finished product I had been working on. Enjoy your Sunday.
Dave
IMG_20170507_111759813.jpg
IMG_20170507_111759813.jpg (40.93 KiB) Viewed 685 times

Shapiro wrote:Thanks for the kind words everyone. You've saved me alot of time and money. This is the finished product I had been working on. Enjoy your Sunday.
Dave
I won't say you can't sell that. It's attractive and professional-looking. You just won't patent it without some unique feature.

Steve