Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
andreb
    Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:02 pm

Has anyone ever seen a settings matrix for Tig welding that I can print and put on the side of my machine? On my Diversion its easy; one button, one dial, two modes. Not so clear on my old 330 A/B/P. I can probably do it myself but just wondering if anyone has ever seen one. I think the following would be helpful...

metal type - current - polarity - electrode type - electrode shape - material thickness - approx amps - shielding gas

You could also add in thing like: freg settings - pre/post timers - suitable filler types - etc.

If you weld everyday (which I don't ) I am sure you remember all this stuff. For us wannabe's it would be super helpful.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Well... I dont have a chart off hand but selecting the additional parameters other than amperage, it probably won't work. Frequency is dependent on certain alloy and cleanliness of material, filler rod depends on alloy(s) and other factors,pre/post depend on size of cup among other things as well. And as for electrode type I would stay for the most part with one type of tungsten.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
dave powelson
    Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:09 am

andreb wrote:Has anyone ever seen a settings matrix for Tig welding that I can print and put on the side of my machine? On my Diversion its easy; one button, one dial, two modes. Not so clear on my old 330 A/B/P. I can probably do it myself but just wondering if anyone has ever seen one. I think the following would be helpful...

metal type - current - polarity - electrode type - electrode shape - material thickness - approx amps - shielding gas

You could also add in thing like: freg settings - pre/post timers - suitable filler types - etc.

If you weld everyday (which I don't ) I am sure you remember all this stuff. For us wannabe's it would be super helpful.
Best thing for you to do is keep running, loose leaf binder with notes of your own setups. I do and suspect others do as well.
Really helps to reference back, especially on joints/conditions that one may only deal with every 6 months or a year.
The 36 stored setup menus on my dyn. 350 help a bunch, but I still reference back to specific job deals to help get dialed in,
when needed.
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

They had these when I took welding in school. Looks like Miller still sells them. I think it has all the stuff you're asking for on it.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
Bobby Sixguns
    Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:48 pm

I got a slide rule type of thing from Arc Zone with an order this past winter that is similar to what you're talking about. It list material types, thickness, recommended amperage settings, etc. They might be a good resource to check with.
dave powelson
    Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:09 am

The milller, lincoln, etc. setup guidelines get one in the ball park,
then, more often than not, one adjusts machine parameters, torch distance/attitude, etc.
to get dialed in on a particular job......then one records this for then next time.