General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

So, I was under a pontoon boat yesterday. Not a lot of room. My helmet kept hitting on the underside of the boat while I was trying to fix a crack on the top of the 'toon. It got me thinking...

Is there a mask that may take the lense out of a helmet? I could then wear a leather cap or bandana or something. When I was practicing for the beads I could see but when I put the helmet on it put my head too low and I could not view the area.
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

There is heaps of products like this. Chrome Leather welding helmets would be the most basic, right up to sevore weld goggles.

http://www.weldingandwelder.com/product ... ask-p-3184
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Depending on budget-miller weld mask.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

You can also get darker shade lenses for the goggles used for brazing or torch cutting.
https://www.amazon.com/KwikSafety-Weldi ... gles&psc=1
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Farmwelding wrote:Depending on budget-miller weld mask.
Some people say they fog up, but I'd try them if I needed them.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (51.75 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

MinnesotaDave wrote:
image.jpeg
This is what my wife wears in the morning when she comes in the bathroom after I have been in there for awhile.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:
image.jpeg
I have a pair, used them a dozen or so times, work good but if you are a heavy breather or doing some harder type work where you are in the heat, cutting, grinding, lifting, etc. And you get winded, etc. they will fog up, for calmer, soothing type welding they are great. I only REALLY use them when I need to, confined spaces or really short , like 1 weld type jobs, I will bring them because its easier than lugging the helmet around.

They come with antifog lens covers, I put em on and could barely see so I took them back off.
if there's a welder, there's a way
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

I like it so far. The hood is way to tight for a normal head. Maybe I just have a large head.
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
    Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:52 pm

I've used a number 10 or 11 shade in a set of cutting torch goggles when repairing a loader frame before just don't learn the hard way like I did cover your face and head I used two painting head covers they are made of thin cotton and worked well I spent a three days inside that loader frame it was 3 inch plate welded to a 5x8 solid and some 2 inch plate.
My Grandfather Used to say "Grinding a weld to make it pretty doesn't make you a Welder. It makes you a Grinder!"
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

DrDogwood wrote:I've used a number 10 or 11 shade in a set of cutting torch goggles when repairing a loader frame before just don't learn the hard way like I did cover your face and head I used two painting head covers they are made of thin cotton and worked well I spent a three days inside that loader frame it was 3 inch plate welded to a 5x8 solid and some 2 inch plate.
I have a buddy that wears a welding-specific balaclava for this. I just slather my face and all other exposed skin in SPF 45 or better.

Steve

Otto Nobedder wrote:
DrDogwood wrote:I've used a number 10 or 11 shade in a set of cutting torch goggles when repairing a loader frame before just don't learn the hard way like I did cover your face and head I used two painting head covers they are made of thin cotton and worked well I spent a three days inside that loader frame it was 3 inch plate welded to a 5x8 solid and some 2 inch plate.
I have a buddy that wears a welding-specific balaclava for this. I just slather my face and all other exposed skin in SPF 45 or better.

Steve
And that keeps you protected? So if i wore my fancy schmancy goggles without the smurf wrap and used suncreen instead, I would be all good?
Farmwelding

Olivero wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:

Steve
And that keeps you protected? So if i wore my fancy schmancy goggles without the smurf wrap and used suncreen instead, I would be all good?
To a point-I wouldnt do it all the time. Steve has a job that requires extensive weird posistions and welding so he needs to do this at times. Welding in an 8inch hole to fix a crack for instance- fit a helmet in there.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick

Yeah, naturally. I bought it so I could use it for those tougher space jobs, or the small jobs that I can't bother lugging my helmet around.

Seems any time I use my hood, I damage the paint job :lol:
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

"I have a buddy that wears a welding-specific balaclava for this. I just slather my face and all other exposed skin in SPF 45 or better.

Steve"

If the pay is right($),one does whatever it takes and don't forget the scalp with thin or no hair. Duct tape in some areas.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)

I use sunblock as "liquid sleeves" quite often. Only for my face, neck, and ears in the rare case I can't fit my hood in the space, but when TIG welding, I use sunblock in place of sleeves. I've done this for years. You can get sunblock up to SPF100 or something like that, but SPF 45 applied twice a day has saved me from flash-burn for many years.

Do I recommend it as daily practice? No. Your safety people will frown. I don't need it all day every day, and I don't have "safety people", so I do it as needed.

SPF does nothing for MIG spatter...

Steve

Otto Nobedder wrote:SPF does nothing for MIG spatter...

Steve
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Is that the voice of experience :o
Richard
Website
Farmwelding

LtBadd wrote:

Steve
I can attest to it :lol:

And also I have used numerous welding jackets that a good bit of spatter has gone through. Burns that smelled like mig welding for probably eight hours. That took me awhile to figure out why in the middle of AP calculus I was smelling welding-just my arm
Nick
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Farmwelding wrote:
LtBadd wrote:

Steve
I can attest to it :lol:

And also I have used numerous welding jackets that a good bit of spatter has gone through. Burns that smelled like mig welding for probably eight hours. That took me awhile to figure out why in the middle of AP calculus I was smelling welding-just my arm
I smell like pork when I'm on fire :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

MMMmmmm.

Somone's grilling!

Oh, shit, that's me! :shock:

Steve

My boss a former sheetmetal worker and welder for 20 years was welding an 8" piece of hydronic pipe for our building, middle of the night on his side, overhead. He's laying on a blanket, god knows why.

Hey Oliver!

What?!

Why does it smell like somethings burning?

I don't know, your welding not me.

Oliver!

WHAT?!

Am i on fire?

No Sam. But the blanket is :lol: