General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:52 pm

I have made do with an Atlas 12 inch lathe for nearly 20 years all the while dreaming of a bigger turning tool. Well now the shop has a new to me space taker. I now have a Jet 1440 3PGH Lathe (I know somebody will say Its not an American Piece of Iron so it's junk). It came from a small Processing company and the Owner used it to maintain there machines so it's had little use. I turned some small set up Pins for timing a diesel last night and Feel like telling the world how nice it runs. I can't wait to run some 4 inch bushings on it now. Well that is all just had to tell somebody.
My Grandfather Used to say "Grinding a weld to make it pretty doesn't make you a Welder. It makes you a Grinder!"
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Dang, looks like a beast. Congrats on the new machine! I'm having lathe envy.
Dave
aka "RTFM"

She is 7.5 Hp will swing 16 inches Aloris tool post and a box of Bits.

My Grandfather Used to say "Grinding a weld to make it pretty doesn't make you a Welder. It makes you a Grinder!"
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

Aloris tool post holders ( not copies ) ROCK...
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Wow...that is a very decent rig. Well done.

Bet you're gonna smile every time you use that big baby for about the next year!

Moz

MosquitoMoto wrote:Wow...that is a very decent rig. Well done.

Bet you're gonna smile every time you use that big baby for about the next year!

Moz
I'm always smiling when I'm at the shop It's taken me over thirty years to get the tools and equipment That I have wanted. If I couldn't afford it I made it. I have a lot of young people look at my shop and are in awe with the tools and equipment that I have but it's hard to convince them that it takes time. I started out with a very old (think it was made in the 40's) Westinghouse welder, with a crank on the top to change the amperage, A/C welder. Thirty five years later I have the shop I have always wanted. Well except for space, we can always want more room. The younger generations have a hard time excepting the Idea that if you have a dream and you work on it, set a goal and strive for it you can do it. So many now a day want everything now, they don't understand the work for it mentality that us older generations grew up with. I have the "will teach anyone who wants to learn" mentality. I enjoy helping someone realize they have potential and can learn. As long as they have the will and want to. I am no master welder by any means. I can get the job done but it isn't always as pretty as Jody's or some of the others I see on here but I keep an open mind, are humble enough to ask for and except help Because I know the day I stop learning is the day they put the toe tag on me.
Don't be afraid to dream it's what drives us to keep going.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

DrDogwood wrote:

Moz
I'm always smiling when I'm at the shop It's taken me over thirty years to get the tools and equipment That I have wanted. If I couldn't afford it I made it. I have a lot of young people look at my shop and are in awe with the tools and equipment that I have but it's hard to convince them that it takes time. I started out with a very old (think it was made in the 40's) Westinghouse welder, with a crank on the top to change the amperage, A/C welder. Thirty five years later I have the shop I have always wanted. Well except for space, we can always want more room. The younger generations have a hard time excepting the Idea that if you have a dream and you work on it, set a goal and strive for it you can do it. So many now a day want everything now, they don't understand the work for it mentality that us older generations grew up with. I have the "will teach anyone who wants to learn" mentality. I enjoy helping someone realize they have potential and can learn. As long as they have the will and want to. I am no master welder by any means. I can get the job done but it isn't always as pretty as Jody's or some of the others I see on here but I keep an open mind, are humble enough to ask for and except help Because I know the day I stop learning is the day they put the toe tag on me.

Yaaa!!!! 30 yrs acquiring is about right.
Helped start a few young careers myself.Parts made :) careers started :D :D :D
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

DrDogwood wrote:

Moz
I'm slowly building the collection, too. I agree it takes time.

All I need now is a lathe, a mill and a Mig and I think I'll be where I need to be. Oh...and more space!

Moz