Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

I finally scored some 4943 AL filler. Been dying to see the differences. Just a coincidence that Jody came out with a new vid a few hours ago that shows him and his friend JD welding up a project using 4943. I thought I would put in my 2cts.
20170509_155156.jpg
20170509_155156.jpg (52.02 KiB) Viewed 5593 times
The pic to the left , a gapped butt, 4043 filler. Middle is gapped butt 4943. Lap joint is 4943. I didn't notice anything profound between the 2 fillers as far as how they welded other than it seemed the 4943 stood up better at the frequency I was welding at (150 hertz). It also seemed that 4943 produced a cleaner shinier weld I was welding on brand new, properly cleaned metal. The puddle was more behaved with 4943 as it seems 4043 wets out further. I don't know if I could choose one over the other. I am going to play with 4943 a little more.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

FINALLY!

I've done quite a bit of work with both, I don't really notice a difference in welding them but supposedly, 4943 is stronger in fillet type welds so I feel better about myself when I weld with 4943.
if there's a welder, there's a way
exnailpounder

Olivero wrote:FINALLY!

I've done quite a bit of work with both, I don't really notice a difference in welding them but supposedly, 4943 is stronger in fillet type welds so I feel better about myself when I weld with 4943.
I'm glad that 4943 helps you with your welding anxiety. :lol: I was expecting an omnipotent moment but it never happened after I lit up with 4943...so I made a drink :lol: Subtle differences in welding characteristics but I didn't have too much time to play.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

exnailpounder wrote:

I'm glad that 4943 helps you with your welding anxiety. :lol: I was expecting an omnipotent moment but it never happened after I lit up with 4943...so I made a drink :lol: Subtle differences in welding characteristics but I didn't have too much time to play.
Weld with 5356 and 4943 back to back and see if you have your "moment"

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
exnailpounder

GreinTime wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:

That much of a difference? I don't get to play with AL too much so I am looking for any advantage I can get 8-)

I love that I get to tell the customer, "I used a special filler rod just for this to maximize strength" makes their knees wobble man. Amazing stuff :lol:
exnailpounder

Olivero wrote:I love that I get to tell the customer, "I used a special filler rod just for this to maximize strength" makes their knees wobble man. Amazing stuff :lol:
:lol: :lol: If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle 'em with bullshit :lol:
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

exnailpounder wrote:
GreinTime wrote:
exnailpounder wrote: I'm glad that 4943 helps you with your welding anxiety. :lol: I was expecting an omnipotent moment but it never happened after I lit up with 4943...so I made a drink :lol: Subtle differences in welding characteristics but I didn't have too much time to play.

I'm stuck dealing with AlcoTec 5356 at work (kill me) and I hate it. The one kid doesn't see what I mean when I talk about the color change as you add filler (magnesium content, not AlcoTec's problem) and doesn't like the way the 4943 flows. I think he's nuts, but he also never welds anything under 300hz, so everything welds like mild steel at that point.

#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
exnailpounder

:lol: Alas Sam I know you hate Alco Tec filler :lol: I understand your co-workers ignorance...my favorite say is "you can lead a horse to water"...I just thought 4943 was going to "transform" me. :lol:
thespian
    Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:56 pm

[/quote]:lol: :lol: If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle 'em with bullshit :lol:[/quote]

AMEN!
Thespian is just an old username I have used forever , my name is Bill

exnailpounder wrote:
Olivero wrote:I love that I get to tell the customer, "I used a special filler rod just for this to maximize strength" makes their knees wobble man. Amazing stuff :lol:
:lol: :lol: If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle 'em with bullshit :lol:
:lol: Quote of the year right there! :lol:

I try the brilliance route occasionally, I love how some people just nod and say "aha" "aaaaah" "yeah" to some of the things you say.

"look right here, see that? that was welded with a back purge to prevent carbide precipitation and to keep the passive layer in place and allow the chrome to oxidize to form that layer to keep the stainless, stainless"

"yeah, I see that"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

exnailpounder wrote:I finally scored some 4943 AL filler. Been dying to see the differences. Just a coincidence that Jody came out with a new vid a few hours ago that shows him and his friend JD welding up a project using 4943. I thought I would put in my 2cts.
20170509_155156.jpg
The pic to the left , a gapped butt, 4043 filler. Middle is gapped butt 4943. Lap joint is 4943. I didn't notice anything profound between the 2 fillers as far as how they welded other than it seemed the 4943 stood up better at the frequency I was welding at (150 hertz). It also seemed that 4943 produced a cleaner shinier weld I was welding on brand new, properly cleaned metal. The puddle was more behaved with 4943 as it seems 4043 wets out further. I don't know if I could choose one over the other. I am going to play with 4943 a little more.
Watched Jody's new vid today also, actually they used 4043, but Jody did mention he's starting to like 4943
Richard
Website
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

exnailpounder wrote::lol: Alas Sam I know you hate Alco Tec filler :lol: I understand your co-workers ignorance...my favorite say is "you can lead a horse to water"...I just thought 4943 was going to "transform" me. :lol:
I was asked, in 10th grade, to use "horticulture" in a sentence. I was sent to the vice-principle's office for, "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think." Mr. Benson loved the joke, and I got away with it.

That said, I particularly like 4943 when welding lower alloys out of position. You're not going to sense much difference playing with it in 1G/1F positions. It shines in vertical and overhead, especially pipe and tube. I did a very difficult to reach 5g tube repair and 5F vacuum weld today using the 4943 LS Customs sent me. The tube repair (3/4" .063 wall, 3003) came out with very nice root reinforcement despite welding between the 3 o'clock to 7 o'clock positions, speaking to it's ability to wet out without becoming watery.

Steve
exnailpounder

LtBadd wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:I finally scored some 4943 AL filler. Been dying to see the differences. Just a coincidence that Jody came out with a new vid a few hours ago that shows him and his friend JD welding up a project using 4943. I thought I would put in my 2cts.
20170509_155156.jpg
Watched Jody's new vid today also, actually they used 4043, but Jody did mention he's starting to like 4943
I stand corrected. I thought he said 4943.
exnailpounder

Otto Nobedder wrote:
exnailpounder wrote::lol: Alas Sam I know you hate Alco Tec filler :lol: I understand your co-workers ignorance...my favorite say is "you can lead a horse to water"...I just thought 4943 was going to "transform" me. :lol:
I was asked, in 10th grade, to use "horticulture" in a sentence. I was sent to the vice-principle's office for, "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think." Mr. Benson loved the joke, and I got away with it.

That said, I particularly like 4943 when welding lower alloys out of position. You're not going to sense much difference playing with it in 1G/1F positions. It shines in vertical and overhead, especially pipe and tube. I did a very difficult to reach 5g tube repair and 5F vacuum weld today using the 4943 LS Customs sent me. The tube repair (3/4" .063 wall, 3003) came out with very nice root reinforcement despite welding between the 3 o'clock to 7 o'clock positions, speaking to it's ability to wet out without becoming watery.

Steve
What I did notice was that it doesn't wet out as much as 4043. That's apparent in the middle weld.
Benny Hill..What's the difference between a vitamin and a hormone? You can make a vitamin. Get it?
exnailpounder

Olivero wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:
:lol: Quote of the year right there! :lol:

I try the brilliance route occasionally, I love how some people just nod and say "aha" "aaaaah" "yeah" to some of the things you say.

"look right here, see that? that was welded with a back purge to prevent carbide precipitation and to keep the passive layer in place and allow the chrome to oxidize to form that layer to keep the stainless, stainless"

"yeah, I see that"

Like talking to the wife...my mouth is moving but she just hears...blah blah blah. :lol:

exnailpounder wrote:I stand corrected. I thought he said 4943.
No worries, I have this sickness... :shock: :lol:
Richard
Website

exnailpounder wrote: What I did notice was that it doesn't wet out as much as 4043. That's apparent in the middle weld.
Benny Hill..What's the difference between a vitamin and a hormone? You can make a vitamin. Get it?
First, yes, I get it...

How do you make anti-freeze? Hide her nightgown. (As told by Buggs Bunny on old Looney Tunes.)

Yeah, the "not wetting out as much" thing is what makes 4943 nice in out-of-position welds. Instead of spreading out like butter melting in a hot pan, it holds together, as in your center picture. It also does this in the root of the weld, giving internal reinforcement, rather than "wetting out" and sagging/sucking back.

Steve

exnailpounder wrote:
Like talking to the wife...my mouth is moving but she just hears...blah blah blah. :lol:
So its not just me, good to know. :lol:

Otto Nobedder wrote:
exnailpounder wrote: What I did notice was that it doesn't wet out as much as 4043. That's apparent in the middle weld.
First, yes, I get it...

How do you make anti-freeze? Hide her nightgown. (As told by Buggs Bunny on old Looney Tunes.)

Yeah, the "not wetting out as much" thing is what makes 4943 nice in out-of-position welds. Instead of spreading out like butter melting in a hot pan, it holds together, as in your center picture. It also does this in the root of the weld, giving internal reinforcement, rather than "wetting out" and sagging/sucking back.

Steve
That is probably the best description you are going to get of that difference, I have noticed the same thing, just never had a way to express it other than "it welds better"
Lightning
    Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm

exnailpounder wrote:What's the difference between a vitamin and a hormone? You can make a vitamin. Get it?
Ain't nuthin tricky about making a hormone. Just don't pay 'er!
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Speaking of hormones and wive's that don't listen...here is a good joke. :lol:

Deaf Sex

Two deaf people get married and during the first week of marriage they find that they are unable to communicate in the bedroom with the lights out since they can't see each other signing, or read lips. After several nights of fumbling around and many misunderstandings, the wife figures out a solution.

She writes a note to her husband: 'Honey, why don't we agree on some simple signals? For instance, at night, if you want to have sex with me, reach over and squeeze my left breast one time. If you don't want to have sex, reach over and squeeze my right breast two times.

The husband thinks this is a great idea. He writes back to his wife that if she wants to have sex with him, reach over and pull on his penis one time. If she doesn't want to have sex, pull on his penis two hundred and fifty times.

motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

love where these threads go, who needs TV...
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
exnailpounder

motox wrote:love where these threads go, who needs TV...
:lol: Oh lawdy..you couldn't have said it any better :lol:

electrode wrote:Speaking of hormones and wive's that don't listen...here is a good joke. :lol:

Deaf Sex

Two deaf people get married and during the first week of marriage they find that they are unable to communicate in the bedroom with the lights out since they can't see each other signing, or read lips. After several nights of fumbling around and many misunderstandings, the wife figures out a solution.

She writes a note to her husband: 'Honey, why don't we agree on some simple signals? For instance, at night, if you want to have sex with me, reach over and squeeze my left breast one time. If you don't want to have sex, reach over and squeeze my right breast two times.

The husband thinks this is a great idea. He writes back to his wife that if she wants to have sex with him, reach over and pull on his penis one time. If she doesn't want to have sex, pull on his penis two hundred and fifty times.

Two years ago, I'd probably have deleted that out-of-hand. Today, I cut-and-pasted it to share with my boss.

The times, they are a-changin'

Steve