Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Farmwelding wrote:It appears that 7018-1 means that the weld is stronger at cold temperatures than a normal 7018.

Our buzz box only goes up to around 110-120 in the low range as you recommended but they are 3/32" so don't need that much anyways?

The lag on a t-joint i did required pounding and left a lot of white powder on the weld still and didn't want tor come off. The flat weld came off in small chunks as you said though. Ill keep working on it and when I get to use a 7018 on DC I'm sure I will be laughing at how easy it is. That's the way I usually learnt hings the quickest. DO it the hard way and then you'll appreciate things for what they are worth or never making the same mistake again. Stick before mig-oxy-fuel before tig. Helps put ting is perspective for me.
You found the correct listing for -1

You will chuckle at the simplicity of DC 7018 :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Depending on angle and thickness I run most 3/32 7018 between 75 and 90 amps. If there's an option I put my arc force anywhere from 3-7 depending on what I'm working on.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Poland308 wrote:Depending on angle and thickness I run most 3/32 7018 between 75 and 90 amps. If there's an option I put my arc force anywhere from 3-7 depending on what I'm working on.
Arc force? I wish I had arc force. Hell at this point a stick welder with compass on the stock and a thing that tells time. Ever since I put the wleder in our stack with plywood walls it has made me deaf. Rattle all the live long day. Even more fun when you stick a rod. I wish I could throw $700 in o my school to get a Lincoln buzz box AC/DC. Or a Lincoln sqaurwave tig. Or preferably a stick machine that can run 6010s since we have a bunch that I'd like to use.

So if anyone has a welder, connections with a company, or a need for a tax deduction willing to donate :lol: If only someone would. Or else I'll go to the school board and ask. Maybe. Or I'll live with the AC buzzbox and donate one later when I make a bunch of money from these welding jobs I'll get skmeday
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick

Poland308 wrote:Depending on angle and thickness I run most 3/32 7018 between 75 and 90 amps. If there's an option I put my arc force anywhere from 3-7 depending on what I'm working on.
True of course, but remember he is trying to use an old AC only machine - no arc force :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc

Farmwelding wrote: Arc force? I wish I had arc force. Hell at this point a stick welder with compass on the stock and a thing that tells time. Ever since I put the wleder in our stack with plywood walls it has made me deaf. Rattle all the live long day. Even more fun when you stick a rod. I wish I could throw $700 in o my school to get a Lincoln buzz box AC/DC. Or a Lincoln sqaurwave tig. Or preferably a stick machine that can run 6010s since we have a bunch that I'd like to use.

So if anyone has a welder, connections with a company, or a need for a tax deduction willing to donate :lol: If only someone would. Or else I'll go to the school board and ask. Maybe. Or I'll live with the AC buzzbox and donate one later when I make a bunch of money from these welding jobs I'll get skmeday
Seriously, you need to start looking at what you write and get into the habit of good spelling and proper sentence structure.

This habit will do right by you your whole life.

A welder/artist down the road from me is in his early 50's.
He says he wishes he could write better and had paid attention more to it in school.
It's important to him because over the years he's lost out on getting commissioned art work due to his poor writing ability.
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Poleframer
    Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:47 am

Here's my story that sort of relates, tho not welding. I did forestry work here in oregon for 25 years, most of the welding I did in that time was patching up my beat up pickup trucks (paid 4 wheelin to boot, who could ask for more). A good bit of those years was tree climbing.
In my first 2 weeks as a climber I was sent up the north umpqua to test me on those honkin Douglas firs. Some of them were over 5 foot DBH (diameter breast height) and over 100' to the first branch, one climb, on like the 3'd day was over 260 feet up. I'll admit to some knee knockin on that one, but I didnt piss my pants :). After that 95% of the climbing was a piece of cake.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

MinnesotaDave wrote:
Farmwelding wrote: Arc force? I wish I had arc force. Hell at this point a stick welder with compass on the stock and a thing that tells time. Ever since I put the wleder in our stack with plywood walls it has made me deaf. Rattle all the live long day. Even more fun when you stick a rod. I wish I could throw $700 in o my school to get a Lincoln buzz box AC/DC. Or a Lincoln sqaurwave tig. Or preferably a stick machine that can run 6010s since we have a bunch that I'd like to use.

Seriously, you need to start looking at what you write and get into the habit of good spelling and proper sentence structure.

This habit will do right by you your whole life.

A welder/artist down the road from me is in his early 50's.
He says he wishes he could write better and had paid attention more to it in school.
It's important to him because over the years he's lost out on getting commissioned art work due to his poor writing ability.
I bet Braehill could learn im.
Dammit I miss Braehill - where are you brother?

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Farmwelding

9/10 times I review. This time I didn't as you can see. My apologies I'll work on it.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
Popeye the old miner
    Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:29 pm

Poleframer wrote:Here's my story that sort of relates, tho not welding. I did forestry work here in oregon for 25 years, most of the welding I did in that time was patching up my beat up pickup trucks (paid 4 wheelin to boot, who could ask for more). A good bit of those years was tree climbing.
In my first 2 weeks as a climber I was sent up the north umpqua to test me on those honkin Douglas firs. Some of them were over 5 foot DBH (diameter breast height) and over 100' to the first branch, one climb, on like the 3'd day was over 260 feet up. I'll admit to some knee knockin on that one, but I didnt piss my pants :). After that 95% of the climbing was a piece of cake.
You've got brass balls my friend...I thought bein an ironworker was rough...seems easy compared to that
Popeye the old miner

Farmwelding wrote:So I tried for another half an hour today and found out new combinations of swearing I have never heard. I had two and half actual beads today as well. The slag doesnt like coming off very well though. I am just going to hope and ray we get a DC stick machine sometime.
its been a few years since I used 7018 on AC...I do remember cranking the amps up a wee bit more than for DC... and I remember that you need to keep the end of the rod away from the steel a bit ... not saying long arc it...just don't hold it tight like you would on DC. I don't have access to an AC machine or I would experiment a bit. I'm sure you can figure it out on your own though, and when you get it down to second nature you can keep that feather in your hat and feel pretty good about yourself. Good Luck
Farmwelding

I ran into one of the tech school instructors last week-the one who brought the rods-and got talking and he said he would come back but then invited me up to run some just to see and get the feel. I assumes that he would say-here is some plate go run some stringers. I walk in-go over with so-and-so and watch him. Sit for a bout a minute, he comes back and says I want you to do what he's doing- he was doing a 2G with 3/8" plate, 1/4" gap, 1/4" gap, all 7018. Okay I said I'm up to the challenge. So first 7018 I ran was the root on that plate. As you all said-striking an arc on DC is a laugh compared to AC. Hell re striking a 7018 is easier. I do the first one and run a few horizontal stringers around it and the instructor walks in and asks the guy next to me if he wants to do the real deal and he said yes and asked me the same. So of course I said yes so the second group of 7018s I've run was an actual bend test peice. Root and first two fill passes went well, but the cover passes were not that great. Failed already though due to a 1/16" too much reinforcement on top. I'll post some pictures when I do the bend on Thursday for y'all to look at
Nick
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Thats pretty cool. He might be able to bring you a little further along technique wise.
Farmwelding

PeteM wrote:Thats pretty cool. He might be able to bring you a little further along technique wise.
Yeah I hope so. I mean I'll spend two more years with the guy at tech school anyways so I've got awhile
Nick
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Judging your height on your cover takes a lot of practice. For a few bucks you might want to invest in one of the gauges they use to check reinforcement height. It will also show you if you have any underfill on the toes of your stringers. I checked every practice piece I did for weeks before I took my pipe tests.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poleframer
    Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:47 am

As this thread proceeds, yer on the right track, I didnt learn to drive in a lexus, it was a 63 dodge 1/2 ton PU with slide locks holding the doors closed, and a blown clutch on a slant six. Learned to double clutch and speed shift before I even knew how a clutch was supposed to work! Keep at it! :lol:
Farmwelding

Yeah I was thinking about getting some weld inspection tools in general just to have. I suppose someday it wouldn't hurt to become a CWI too.

As for learning stick-I got to learn on a 35' straight body grain truck-kenworth t800, Cummins 255, 9 speed eaton fuller tranny. No clutch except to start and stop.
Nick
Farmwelding

Well as of 5:30 I have officially passed my first weld test. Only one little bit of undercut that opened that was still passable. And then he put me on some vertical t-joints to get that down after we bent her. He also sent me some new 3/32" rods to try since the others were older so we'll see
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (65.8 KiB) Viewed 1330 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (43.85 KiB) Viewed 1330 times
Nick
Popeye the old miner

Farmwelding wrote:Well as of 5:30 I have officially passed my first weld test. Only one little bit of undercut that opened that was still passable. And then he put me on some vertical t-joints to get that down after we bent her. He also sent me some new 3/32" rods to try since the others were older so we'll see
Good for you!!!! Congradulations
Farmwelding

Popeye the old miner wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:Well as of 5:30 I have officially passed my first weld test. Only one little bit of undercut that opened that was still passable. And then he put me on some vertical t-joints to get that down after we bent her. He also sent me some new 3/32" rods to try since the others were older so we'll see
Funny you say that! I've been trying vertical and WOW I can suck like a gay man sucking a golf ball through a garden hose! As with it all-patience and keep burning.
Nick
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Farmwelding wrote:
Funny you say that! I've been trying vertical and WOW I can suck like a gay man sucking a golf ball through a garden hose! As with it all-patience and keep burning.
Gosh could I have a field day right here :lol: :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Farmwelding

You could Jeff, but you didn't and I thank you. Any others who try to twist my words will not be appreciated-just a full metal jacket reference. Besides not having a good day. AP calc test all morning, go fishing for two hours with a buddy and get nothing, two minutes after I leave he catches a 15 in bass, then I get to run vertical 7018s for 4 hours and then drive another half an hour back home. Maybe Thursday will be better when I go back up there and run more vertical.
Nick
Popeye the old miner

Farmwelding wrote:You could Jeff, but you didn't and I thank you. Any others who try to twist my words will not be appreciated-just a full metal jacket reference. Besides not having a good day. AP calc test all morning, go fishing for two hours with a buddy and get nothing, two minutes after I leave he catches a 15 in bass, then I get to run vertical 7018s for 4 hours and then drive another half an hour back home. Maybe Thursday will be better when I go back up there and run more vertical.
Patience Grasshopper Patience....it all comes with time and practice...and Patience....you will figure it out
Farmwelding

Farmwelding wrote:You could Jeff, but you didn't and I thank you. Any others who try to twist my words will not be appreciated-just a full metal jacket reference. Besides not having a good day. AP calc test all morning, go fishing for two hours with a buddy and get nothing, two minutes after I leave he catches a 15 in bass, then I get to run vertical 7018s for 4 hours and then drive another half an hour back home. Maybe Thursday will be better when I go back up there and run more vertical.
Patience Grasshopper Patience....it all comes with time and practice...and Patience....you will figure it out
To be honest the main thing I'm mad about is the fish...
Other than that I don't care a whole lot. I know it takes time Adam is gonna be a long while.
Nick

Farmwelding wrote: To be honest the main thing I'm mad about is the fish...
Other than that I don't care a whole lot. I know it takes time Adam is gonna be a long while.
Most people I know are happy to have gotten to hang out with a friend fishing.
Then happy for the friend who caught a good fish.
Matter of perspective.
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Farmwelding

MinnesotaDave wrote:
Farmwelding wrote: To be honest the main thing I'm mad about is the fish...
Most people I know are happy to have gotten to hang out with a friend fishing.
Then happy for the friend who caught a good fish.
Matter of perspective.
Well...we actually were having a bet (just a $5 wager) and he caught the fish where I was fishing at so that's it. Not mad about him catching it-more just the irony of me leaving and then two minutes. Still would have rather gone fishing with him than sitting around on my butt regardless. And I can't get mad at a guy for catching a nice fish.
Nick