Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
mranderson881
    Mon May 08, 2017 6:57 am

Hey guys,
My name's James and I run a reverse engineering company over in the UK. I am fairly new to welding but have a little bit of experience with TIG and ARC. I'm always looking to expand my skills so I look forward to picking your brains at some point.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Welcome aboard mate!

Reverse engineering eh? Sounds like a lot of fun.

Been to the UK a few years back. Nice place to be unless you are an American(or most other countries :lol: )driving.(no offense)
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Welcome! I love to take stuff apart just to see how it works! I often cut open old compressors and things just to see what's going on. Always amazes me how often similar designs are used in different prducts to do different things.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
mranderson881
    Mon May 08, 2017 6:57 am

Hey guys,

Yep, really it is a lot of fun. Initially just started out as a hobby - always fixing things and making repairs for friends. Usually involved doing a lot of electronics work where replacement circuit boards etc were no longer available I would have to design and make my own. After a while I found myself doing increasingly complex repairs or making replacement parts that were no longer available. Nowdays most of the work I do is on the computer, recreating objects using 3D modeling and laser scanning and then using CNC machines like lathes, mills and 3D printers and laser & plasma cutters to reproduce a part.
(See http://www.andersonsengineering.com/rev ... gineering/)
If you guys ever need any work done I'm happy to help out (for free) whenever work permits.

Lately though, a few jobs have had me TIG welding together a few aluminium bolt handles for rifles. Personal projects have had me stick welding quite a bit and I've really enjoyed it all having learnt almost everything from Jody's videos! (Thanks Jody!)

I appreciate the warm welcome.

Regards,
James.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

James, welcome to the forum.
Also thanks for the offer.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, James,

Like Poland308 said, I like to take stuff apart to see how it works. I repaired my dad's chainsaw at the age of six. He was convinced it could never run again, and let me tear it apart. I disassemble and reassembled it maybe four times, learning more about the parts and their interactions each time. Then, I put some mix-gas in it, and pulled the starter about 3 times. You'd be shocked how fast my mam and dad were out of the house when they heard that thing revved up. (It still had the chain on it!) They made me sell It at the livestock auction (which always had a misc. junk auction to warm up the crowd) and let me keep the $15 it brought. 20 years later, I bought it back at a yard sale 100 miles away (my initials were scratched in the air-cleaner housing) and I fixed it again, and used it good five years.

If I ever take you up on your offer, I assure you it will be a paying job. I use a piece of quite expensive equipment at work for which replacement circuit boards are hard to impossible to acquire.

Today, when I reverse-engineer something, it's not with the goal of building a duplicate or replacement. It's part of a root-cause analysis of a (usually very dangerous) problem.

I look forward to shooting the breeze with you on any number of topics as they arise.

Steve
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

That had to have been a weird situation Steve. Mom and dad-proud for doing something bought impossible by a 6 year old but terrified due to a 6 year old with a chainsaw. Must have been a good saw or you were one strong 6 year old :lol:

You never hear stuff like that anymore. It's always I'll buy another one. I guess it just something we'll have to deal with sadly.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick