Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
daviddoster
    Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:16 pm

Hi folks,

I've got a Chinese WP-20 torch that I've had for 7 or 8 years, just started using it a year or so ago. The torch body and fittings are fine, but the water lines are starting to dry-rot and get pinhole leaks. Haven't checked the gas line yet. Is it best to just bite the bullet and buy a whole new torch with lines attached, or is it possible (and advisable) to get replacement lines? This isn't a $200+ high-end fancy torch from Weldcraft, it's a 12-foot $50 torch from ebay, so if replacement lines are $50 or more, eh, I may just go with a new torch. I see Cyberweld has the Weldcraft W-250 for $163 or thereabouts...

Thanks for any advice.
Dave

daviddoster wrote:Hi folks,

I've got a Chinese WP-20 torch that I've had for 7 or 8 years, just started using it a year or so ago. The torch body and fittings are fine, but the water lines are starting to dry-rot and get pinhole leaks. Haven't checked the gas line yet. Is it best to just bite the bullet and buy a whole new torch with lines attached, or is it possible (and advisable) to get replacement lines? This isn't a $200+ high-end fancy torch from Weldcraft, it's a 12-foot $50 torch from ebay, so if replacement lines are $50 or more, eh, I may just go with a new torch. I see Cyberweld has the Weldcraft W-250 for $163 or thereabouts...

Thanks for any advice.
Dave
Dave, you can replace the hoses, check pricing and then decide which way to go. If you do buy a new torch take a look at the CK lineup as well
Richard
Website
    Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:52 am

usaweld 12' with rigid head as low as $135 delivered. ( I believe these are actually CK torches.) The braided rubber lines are so much nicer to work with. If you were able to wear out your torch, I think you deserve to treat yourself to a nice one.
-Jon

I learned how to weld at night, but not last night. (despite how my weld looks)

Lincoln Viking 3350 K3034-2&3
Dynasty 210DX w/cps and coolmate3
Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Changing hoses on a cheap torch is a PITA. They are secured/sealed (the gas and coolant supply) with .023 safety wire.

The CK torches allow you to change any one component independently, and very easily.

Steve
daviddoster

maker of things wrote:usaweld 12' with rigid head as low as $135 delivered. ( I believe these are actually CK torches.) The braided rubber lines are so much nicer to work with. If you were able to wear out your torch, I think you deserve to treat yourself to a nice one.
Thanks, MoT. That's exactly what I'm gonna tell the wife. ;)

The torch I have now does have braided rubber lines on it. I guess after 6 years of sitting around, the rubber got dry and brittle. I'll take a look at the usaweld torches.

Dave
daviddoster

Otto Nobedder wrote:Changing hoses on a cheap torch is a PITA. They are secured/sealed (the gas and coolant supply) with .023 safety wire.

The CK torches allow you to change any one component independently, and very easily.

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I guess mine isn't too cheap - it does have screw-on connectors in the torch handle. Yeah, the CK looks like nice torches.

Are CK and Weldcraft the only two "major" brands out there?

Dave
daviddoster

LtBadd wrote: Dave, you can replace the hoses, check pricing and then decide which way to go. If you do buy a new torch take a look at the CK lineup as well
Thanks man. I've been looking around and the braided rubber hoses aren't cheap, especially the power/gas hose. I'm leaning toward a new torch.

Wish Weldcraft's Crafter torches weren't so $$$ - we had them when I was in welding school, and those triangular handles are easy to get used to. But I don't know if I can explain why I need a $250+ welding torch to SWMBO. So probably either the $130 CK or the $150 W250.

Dave