Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Fly
  • Fly
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:07 am

I have a evulsion cold saw. I love it but my blade has finally dulled. I cut more aluminum than
steel, but this blade has been a good performer. It is the one that came on the saw. It is a
all purpose blade the rage. Is there a better one you can recommend?

Fly :D
JEKS
    Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:54 pm

Fly, the Evolution Metal Blade made by Evolution is a good value blade. It is much tougher than the multi-purpose blade but must be purchased separately. There are probably a host of other good 10" cold blades as well by other vendors.

https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Power- ... 4ZTGM080Y5

I found it cuts far better than the combo on mild steel and aluminum, with a better finish.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

I am assuming you have the 14in Evolution dry cut which I have. I have not cut much aluminium but for mild steel it is very durable, The only other blade I tried is a CMT 90 tooth which cut great but not for long as I was cutting up to 1/2in mild steel and too late I found it's best for thin stock. My money is on the Evolution 66 tooth mainly because I know it works well and the price seems reasonable compared to some others. I just paid $35 to get 2 blades sharpened which seemed fair. Just get a spare for rotation and find someone who can sharpen that type of blade.
homeboy

I had posted and didn't catch till after the Rage 10in model. If the 10in metal blade is as good as the 14in you should be happy. :oops:
Fly
  • Fly
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:07 am

Well I said cold saw, it is a cold Dry chop saw. It came with a 14 inch multiple cutting blade that is
advertised to cut steel, alum or stainless. Do you guys have a blade sharpen shop you could recommend ?

Fly :D
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Not sure where you live, but I always sent mine to a place in Grand Blanc Michigan to get sharpened. just google cold saw blade sharpening. :)

Pete
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225
richard parker
    Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:09 pm

Here is a good review and comparison of the Evolution Rage 2 vs a Dewalt Abrasive chop saw http://www.approvedtrader.co.uk/?T=Cold%20Saw#coldsaw really shows how much better these smaller cold cut saws are so good against the more traditional saws that we have all been using for years
homeboy

I was having trouble finding a fairly local dry saw blade sharpener so I checked with a local cabinet maker and found out who he used. I contacted them and they also sharpen a lot of dry cut blades. Worked out well. The resharpened blades cut as good as new. :D :geek:
jroark
    Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:39 pm

Let me know how long those resharpened blades last. I had a couple sharpened and I might as well have tried it myself. Which would have been pointless, but it didn't last 15 cuts and it was duller than ever. If yours hold up I'll know I need a new sharpener guy.
homeboy

The resharpened blades last at least as well as a new blade in my experience. I actually think as I get more experience with the saw that I am getting better blade life anyway. I cut on the flat as little as possible and use the supplied tubing vice jig on 90 degree square tubing cuts . I pretty much dulled a good blade cutting an angle on the flat on 1/2X4in flat bar so now the plasma does those types of cuts. One sharp blade did all the cuts on a complete landscape trailer plus maybe as many again miscellaneous ,all steel. I would look for another blade sharpener!! :D :geek:
kimmy
    Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:37 am

I would definitely resharpen. After doing that, you might look into case hardening or tempering to improve wear protection. We've been using borocoat for example, but there are many different ways to improve your tools.