General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

For the second year now our local tech school hosted a junkyard wars, but this year it was bigger. They brough in Miller and Lincoln electric trailers, virtual welding competitions, guest metal artists and food and spectators. Piles of junk with 8 schools competing. A tricycle that functioned, cougar, deer, hot rod, elephant. For those who are teachers or know teachers-this is a great publicity deal. Newspapers, cable tv, and live streaming. I got the opportunity to do a couple of interviews to share about the competing. The instructors who ran it do it for welding publicity, Get people in the program and interested. AWS student chapter had some popcorn and some horseshoe art and metal flowers to sell as well. Virtual welding competitors who won got a Lincoln Ppe pack. the third place team for the metal art got lincoln helmets. Second place received Viking 3350s and the school received a Millermatic 141. First place got Lincoln Ppe kits with 3350 helmets and the school received a powermig 256. Everyone who competed also got some Lincoln and Miller mig gloves and other various students got to play with other machines in the demo trucks. If you are interested I strongly reccomend it to get people interested.

News article with my face and voice that almost broke the camera: http://www.wrex.com/story/35418218/2017 ... janesville

The picture is our 4 team members and our deer. Would have been better but we ran out of time and it fell apart a couple times due to the lack ability to get good welds between crappy cast and steel and some aluminum. All the welding was mig and scrap was donated.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (336.15 KiB) Viewed 872 times
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding

Otto Nobedder wrote:I'm going to take a guess based on your personality, and say you're the neon ginger in that picture...

Steve
Nope...I'm the far left with the navy shirt and the black "mustache"

I have put it in the rogues gallery man...
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Is that hair or dirt on that lip?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Yeah, I caught up when I watched the video. I deleted the ginger comment, but too late...

Pretty cool!

Well spoken, too, considering your track record for written posts... :roll:

Steve
Farmwelding

Poland308 wrote:Is that hair or dirt on that lip?
Dirt,oil, great, sweat, and grinding dust-the welders makeup I guess :lol:

And as for Steve...yeah usually I'm good at speaking in the fly. The instructor who I've met like three times came and said come here and do this I want to have him interview a high schooler and a tech school student. There were better parts too. Both interviews I made a big deal out of the need for welders and non traditional careers as they call it.
Nick

Farmwelding wrote:

And as for Steve...yeah usually I'm good at speaking in the fly. The instructor who I've met like three times came and said come here and do this I want to have him interview a high schooler and a tech school student. There were better parts too. Both interviews I made a big deal out of the need for welders and non traditional careers as they call it.
It's funny now, but at your age, I'd have been terrified of the camera. I got over that, to the opposite extreme (even auditioning for a musical, though I can't sing), but you were very clear and didn't use any "filler" language like "um" and "er" like so many people do in front of a camera.

I copied this and shared it to my siblings in Beloit and Delevan, in case they didn't see it.

Steve
Farmwelding

Otto Nobedder wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:

It's funny now, but at your age, I'd have been terrified of the camera. I got over that, to the opposite extreme (even auditioning for a musical, though I can't sing), but you were very clear and didn't use any "filler" language like "um" and "er" like so many people do in front of a camera.

I copied this and shared it to my siblings in Beloit and Delevan, in case they didn't see it.

Steve
You have family in Beloit to? I know you told me about your family in delevan but come on? Where aren't you?
Nick

Nick, you already know about my brother in Delevan. My sister Mary is in Beloit, a retired school teacher.

I have another sister in a Chicago suburb. The rest of my family is farther south.

I'm the last of nine children. My oldest sister died in childhood in 1933.

Steve
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Now that's pretty cool. And dang...you didn't mis-spell one word in your post. All that schoolin must be kickin in.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Yes he did, third line.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Farmwelding

http://www.beloitdailynews.com/article/ ... /170519819

There is another link to the story if you wanted more information for some reason.
Nick

Farmwelding wrote:http://www.beloitdailynews.com/article/ ... /170519819

There is another link to the story if you wanted more information for some reason.
"Welding Instructor Jeremiah Johnson..."
Are you kidding me?
Have you seen the movie, "Jeremiah Johnson"?
You should. Not welding related, not even close. But might relate to the guy's attitude...

Steve