mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Josh MacD
    Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:57 am

I'm a new welder and I have a small Hobart Handler 140. It doesn't have the specific voltage listed on the dial, just 1, 2, 3. I know I should get more specific measurements to ensure quality welds, but...

I have only cursory experience with using a multimeter and I have no idea how to test for voltage in this case. I can see myself trying and managing to weld my multimeter leads to my small work table. I'm always game to hunt on youtube for instructional videos but this seems like one of those things that, if I mess it up, could lead to my wife accessing my life insurance policy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And the more detailed (read: dummy proof) the better. Thanks in advance
Hobbyist MIG welder with 75/25 gas on a Lincoln SP-140 in my garage/workshop/gym/storage space. Very new and still learning.

"Service is the rent you pay for room on this earth" - Shirley Chisholm

A good place to start is by watching Jody's Intro to MIG series. Good info in there on setting voltage and wire speed. It's not necessary to know the exact voltage to make a good weld with those machines.

Here's the URL for the MIG Welding Basics playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... NKcYA8GiGA

Good luck,
Larry
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

Also make sure that welder is plugged right into the wall on at least a 25A circuit.. it's very power Hungary think of it like a pig that is been starved for a week.. it wants every last scrap of power it can get or it will not weld right in the upper settings IE past 2.. I have a 130 and I can lot get it to weld right unless it's right up to the wall.
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.