Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
olek
    Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:07 pm

I am gonna try that for the vertical up progression in triangle, that mean the stinger go left for welding right side, and reverse.

is it something possible ? (mostly to avoid undercut by allowing less inclination between rod and walls) ?

second, undercut seem to be a roll of the weld , is it ? (lack of fusion ?)
Thanks
Pianos , restorer and tuner
Dedicated to learn welding since april
slowly learning ;) not complaining of doing beads and beads
pro inverter PROGYS 200 FV PFC CEL+tig lift
OA Oxyflam 1000 cutting and welding gas torch
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Undercut is under fill.

The arc cuts into the parent metal, not pausing long enough or traveling too fast for the cut to fill is generally the culprit.

There is nothing a figure 8 will do that a "Z" weave won't do for you, in a well fitted joint.

Respectfully, my belief is that you should work on straight beads and "Z" weaves until you nail them - then decide if you want to unnecessarily increase the complexity of your movements.

Edited for typo...
Last edited by MinnesotaDave on Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
olek

Hello and thank you Dave,
I think you are right, I better go back to basics , I did concentrate on vertical up because I had to make such a weld but in iron,

so I left aside 2F for instance, and realized I had trouble with that if I want to do stringers only (with small circles O am more consistent, but the viewing is also causing trouble)

I may say I do not have inclusions anymore, a little sometime when I try to have the electrode at 5 degree slant but I think I have a good idea of what I want to obtain, but I am generally welding with one hand and no prop, which is more difficult.

I will make a gig so I can prep , when welding sitting I have better results in micromobility.

I plan to do as on that video

https://youtu.be/kujfqbxSXT8?list=PLa6S ... uokG8berYp what do you think ?

when you talk of z motion it is for vertical up just to grab well each side, or also for flat (out if the first pass ?)

I want to master that puddle size, and stay in line (if I look at the back of tee puddle,hege oblong shape of the heat give me a direction to follow)
I dont see at the front of the electrode, so if the precedent bead is waving no chances to make a straight line as I follow it to cover 1\2

I will post pics . BTW I could make my iron weld in flat position, that helped a lot (not easy to weld iron )

BTW I am not sure to understand for undercut : not pausing enough, ok
, but travelling to slow too ? (that is what you wrote)
Best regards, thanks for the "undercut =undefill" definition , that makes me think, I thought it was mostly a too aggressive arc that did cut while allowing the weld to roll down.

to have an optimal view , I need to wear a glass mask (I added 1,5 magnifiers in that one) The lcd are not precise enough to me unless I have tons of light added.
Last edited by olek on Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
olek

I tried 8 flat 3F , not rzally possible because of the shortening of the electrode, the left-right displacement is always changing,, to complicated ;)
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Thanks, I fixed the typo in that...traveling too fast for the cut to fill in.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.