General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

For those of you who have not been playing along with the home game, I have a significant distraction from the amount of time I normally spend here. This will continue until July 23. I can catch up on weekends, but during the week my time here will be somewhat limited.

[Correction] After July 7, I'll be here more during the week, and less on the weekend.

Just to head off anyone sending flowers for my grave...

Steve
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

steve
i do realize the main reason we are all here is our passion for welding and
welding related topics but there is much more to every individual that belongs to
this forum besides just welding i enjoy reading about some of the no-welding endeavors that the members
i have come to know through this forum have directed their time to apart from welding.
this is a great community where important thoughts are shared but i must admit i can still
appreciate the humor and banter that transpires even if it travels far from the original topic.
so enjoy your new endeavor, life is short. maybe you will still get those flowers but not on your
grave, after your performance!
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Just so long as you enjoy yourself speaking some lines on the stage. I'll miss your responses a little but I think the others in here will get most of it covered while you are working your tail off on the stage but is wont be the same without you. Hope it is a wonderful experience for you and that we maybe will hear a little more about it(see it maybe?-copyright laws don't really matter anyways?) Hope to hear from you again more in July though-unless New York calls.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

You've been away?

:D Kidding, of course. I must have missed the memo, not playing along at home: what's your "significant distraction"?

No worries, we'll keep the light on for ya.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Farmwelding

Artie F. Emm wrote:You've been away?

:D Kidding, of course. I must have missed the memo, not playing along at home: what's your "significant distraction"?

He got a couple of bigger roles in a play so he's got to go to a bunch of rehearsals.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Have fun Otto. I'll try to keep my ability to misinform to a minimum for the next little while. :D

Steve,

Have a good time as you release your inner thespian. I've done a bit of that and had a hell of a lot of fun.

Larry
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Farmwelding

I forgot to add this-don't apologize for this-doing something you want to do that is. As for another thing-what the hell does thespian mean?
Nick

Farmwelding wrote:I forgot to add this-don't apologize for this-doing something you want to do that is. As for another thing-what the hell does thespian mean?
Thespian is another word for "actor". It comes from the name "Thespis", which I presume comes from ancient Greek [Edit.. Thespis was a Greek dramatic poet in the 6th century B.C.]. The term originated in the 17th century.

Steve

Farmwelding wrote:
Artie F. Emm wrote:You've been away?

He got a couple of bigger roles in a play so he's got to go to a bunch of rehearsals.
Actually, I have a few small roles scattered in the play... I will, apparently, be the first person the audience sees when the lights come up, though.

I am having a hell of a lot of fun with this.

Steve
Popeye the old miner
    Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:29 pm

Have a blast.... ummm.... I'm thinkin there is a saying in that busness about breaking a leg....well don't do that for real but break a leg. Shucks just go have fun
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

You're such a drama queen Steve, eat a Snickers :lol:

Have fun and good luck.

I am having a BLAST with this. It's more fun than I could have possibly imagined. I will spare you the details, but seeing a script become an actual thing is very enlightening. I get excited over incredibly stupid things like getting to wear a flamboyant scarf in a "funeral" scene because it gives me something to do with a free hand...

Every morning, I ask myself, "What the hell is wrong with you? Why are you doing this? What were you thinking? You can't possibly keep it together for this!"

Every evening, I show up for rehearsal, start working, and forget ALL that shit I said in the previous sentence.

This will be good.

Steve
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Is there not a little bit of acting every time your face to face with a customer ?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Farmwelding

Poland308 wrote:Is there not a little bit of acting every time your face to face with a customer ?
Not just customers but just about everyone else it seems like. Act like I'm excited for them, act like I care about your relationship problems, act like I care about your problems while I have my own to worry about...
Nick

Yep.

Now do it in front of 100+ people you've never met who've paid $30 apiece to watch you do it. I get to pretend to be a dance instructor (among other characters, but this one has the most lines and impact). I know absolutely zero about dance, including the terminology in my lines. I also get to be a little flamboyant. The movie says Pete's not gay, but in this adaptation, it's not clear.
Farmwelding

Otto Nobedder wrote:Yep.

Now do it in front of 100+ people you've never met who've paid $30 apiece to watch you do it. I get to pretend to be a dance instructor (among other characters, but this one has the most lines and impact). I know absolutely zero about dance, including the terminology in my lines. I also get to be a little flamboyant. The movie says Pete's not gay, but in this adaptation, it's not clear.
Hah ill do you one better. Do it in front of 400 people who paid $15 a piece to see the show some you know most you don't while wearing a clock costume that is about 3'x3' and ways about 50 lbs and then walk up and down a flight of stairs that you have about an inch of clearance on while talking in a British accent making corny clock jokes and get paid nothing. This years wasn't so bad though. I got to be an iron worker and a mason so...I played myself I guess but two years ago was the year of the clock and I couldn't wait for the time to be over for that one. I wish it would have ticked away faster.
Nick
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:I am having a BLAST with this. It's more fun than I could have possibly imagined. I will spare you the details, but seeing a script become an actual thing is very enlightening. I get excited over incredibly stupid things like getting to wear a flamboyant scarf in a "funeral" scene because it gives me something to do with a free hand...

Every morning, I ask myself, "What the hell is wrong with you? Why are you doing this? What were you thinking? You can't possibly keep it together for this!"

Every evening, I show up for rehearsal, start working, and forget ALL that shit I said in the previous sentence.

This will be good.

Steve
Glad you're having fun, never done it myself but it always looks they enjoyed doing the show. :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
thespian
    Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:56 pm

Take it from me , do not get sucked in. Sure it's fun, but you probably will not make a living doing it.
I am a technical director, for a small theatre in Indianapolis IN, and I see all kinds of people trying to make a living at acting.
Thespian is just an old username I have used forever , my name is Bill

thespian wrote:Take it from me , do not get sucked in. Sure it's fun, but you probably will not make a living doing it.
I am a technical director, for a small theatre in Indianapolis IN, and I see all kinds of people trying to make a living at acting.
Oh, I have no illusions of making money at this. I have no intent to try. This is a new hobby I'm entertaining (no pun intended). The show opens July 7 and closes July 23. I might never do this again, in which case it's on the list of stuff I can tell my grandchildren I've done, or I might fall in love and maintain it as a hobby. We shall see.

Steve

Farmwelding wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:Yep.

Hah ill do you one better. Do it in front of 400 people who paid $15 a piece to see the show some you know most you don't while wearing a clock costume that is about 3'x3' and ways about 50 lbs and then walk up and down a flight of stairs that you have about an inch of clearance on while talking in a British accent making corny clock jokes and get paid nothing. This years wasn't so bad though. I got to be an iron worker and a mason so...I played myself I guess but two years ago was the year of the clock and I couldn't wait for the time to be over for that one. I wish it would have ticked away faster.
Tapdancing Christ, NO! You would not get me in that costume in high school. I might wear it today, but I'm a much more confident man at 48 than I was at 16.

Steve
Farmwelding

thespian wrote:Take it from me , do not get sucked in. Sure it's fun, but you probably will not make a living doing it.
And they are usually waiters/waitresses as well correct?
Nick

Farmwelding wrote:
And they are usually waiters/waitresses as well correct?
..and bartenders and baristas. :roll:

Welders? Not so much. Flashdance was a story, not a biography.

Steve

Here's the flyer/poster.
Flyer.jpg
Flyer.jpg (71.85 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
Steve