General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
stefuel
    Sat May 27, 2017 6:26 am

Might have a small rot project to repair. Have to repair or replace some 2 inch square tubing cross members on a flat bead. After looking at this I think cutting them out and replacing them is probably not cost effective. They support the bed on top of the main frame. The bed would have to be completely removed to replace them in one piece. OEM looks to be 3/16's wall thickness. The existing tubing is rotted and collapsing where it crosses the frame. My thought is to sand blast the area of the welds, jack the diamond plate bed up and slide in 1/4 X 2 flat stock on each side (full width on the verticals) of the existing members and then cap them with 1/4 X 2 1/2. Getting in with a 4 inch grinder or even a die grinder is almost impossible. Thinking of using one of those cheap hand held Harbor Freight sand blasters to clean just the weld areas. Anyone ever try one of those $25.00 guns?
stefuel

Oh, and then the next decision to make is how to stick it together. It's going to have to be done outside where it is usually breezy. Probably to much wind for mig. I have never done flux core so I may buy some and try some overhead test fillets or just stick weld. Done very little stick in the past 10 years so would have to do a few warm ups with that also
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Nothing wrong with removing a section of the bed, replace the few crossmembers, weld the bed section back on.

A plasma with straight edge, or cutting wheel on a 7" grinder, will make a clean cut that is easy to weld back together.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
stefuel

MinnesotaDave wrote:Nothing wrong with removing a section of the bed, replace the few crossmembers, weld the bed section back on.

A plasma with straight edge, or cutting wheel on a 7" grinder, will make a clean cut that is easy to weld back together.
That's a option that I had not considered and a damn good one at that. I like it :D
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Wondering if you have checked the other sections if they are sound ? My favourite tool for that is a chipping hammer " Tings the thing- Thunk is junk". For cleaning I would chip off the loose stuff maybe with an air chisel for scale and clean up the weld areas as much as possible with a small steel wire wheel in a die grinder or high speed drill with an extension adapter if needed. Flux core would be easier than stick in tight spots because of the compact gun and will burn thru some pitted rust. Sandblasting under a truck bed would be interesting to say the least. My 2 cents worth. :geek:
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

stefuel wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote:Nothing wrong with removing a section of the bed, replace the few crossmembers, weld the bed section back on.

That's a option that I had not considered and a damn good one at that. I like it :D
Hope it helps - fighting it overhead is no fun for sure :)

It's been my experience that cutting things out of the way is faster than trying to squeeze stuff in with minimal clearance.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
stefuel

MinnesotaDave wrote:
stefuel wrote:

Hope it helps - fighting it overhead is no fun for sure :)

It's been my experience that cutting things out of the way is faster than trying to squeeze stuff in with minimal clearance.
Well cutting a 8X8 foot square out of the deck for access would mean 32 extra feet of welding I wasn't counting on but the end product will look better and the time will be a wash or less.