General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.

Ryan wrote: This type of work is why I chose the dual voltage rebel over the fabricator 252.
Ryan
I know how you feel, getting a new machine...as a side note my employer bought a Lincoln Power MIG 180 dual voltage unit to weld some bolts to a frame, which it worked quite well. I used the gasless flux core wire.

Recently had another project fabing a steel lifting fixture so I though I'd use the MIG, only to find out it pulls 20amps and our 115 outlets are on 20amp breakers, so I could only get ~6 inches before they'd trip. Finished this project using TIG.
Richard
Website
sberry
    Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:17 am

I have a 250 wirematic and I can see how it never developed much of a fan club, yes, it is a sputtering temperamental pos really. I was never happy with it.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

For what its worth, I would not spend your budget on a used machine, especially if it is a transformer based machine. The power requirements alone are significant. Plus, these transformer units are not portable at all. The smaller multi-process boxes are and that is not something to overlook.

You can easily find yourself requested "at a site" to repair something, or someone brings you something that won't fit in the shop. How will you manage to weld it outdoors or on the road with a 150#-300# transformer box?

A good, small multi-process machine would be my first choice. These won't do AC TIG, but, they will support Aluminum MIG with a Spool Gun (which is a very nice alternative, especially on thin aluminum). Until you need it, AC TIG is overkill and a budget issue; hard to get AC TIG and DC MIG boxes in the same footprint for your budget. If you get going, a dedicated AC TIG box is my strongest recommendation. A SquareWave 200 is very decent box, or an Everlast, or Alpha... But having a 2nd machine then will be more cost-effective and supported by your business than having it now and not needing it.

Stick and MIG (and Spool Gun) are probably the most widely used processes for a "Gravel Welder" in a small town. Be proud of it, and good at it!