Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
ctmaybury
    Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:40 pm

Been practicing pipe. My 30 year old miller aead200le is just not cutting it. I want to get a job pipe welding and a new welder. I'm going to rent a vantage 300 today. I've got a bunch of 8 inch sch 40 all preped and ready to try out the high tech inverter type from lincoln, but I think I'm leaning towards the old school when I buy a new welder. The classic 300 is what I'm thinking. Any thoughts from the pipers out there?
Miller legend, dialarc, spectum 500
Hobart handler 187
Oxy acetylene
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

My best mate is a pipe liner. He swears by his Miller PipePro which is inverter-based. Not waging a red vs blue debate, just commenting on the inverter or non inverter argument. It does take a bit of acclimation to switch to them, but once you do, I think you'll find they're outstanding welders. A mutual buddy of ours, also a gas line welder switched. He tore his hair out until calling Miller and got the "orientation" on setup. Since then, he too swears by the newer inverters.

I hear great things about the new Lincolns too from others who have them-
ctmaybury

I'll probably start out with something cheaper like a trailblazer or ranger, then move up to a diesel powered machine after I've had the job for a few months and confident it will be a long term thing. Inverter type vs old transformer type is a great debate I want to hear from the pros about. I'm picking up a rental his afternoon, so I'll coment on that inverter based machine tomorrow.
Hobart handler 187
Oxy acetylene
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Both types weld fine once you have enough hours experience - inverters are fine all the time they are working - we had a Ranger 305D which welds fine but the cost to repair it when the pixie smoke leaks is high & it never did many hours or worked hard - a mate has the Trailblazer diesel & loves it - no problems so far - can't comment on how it welds as I never been to his yard when it was home - the old school pipeline machines are way more durable - look at the ages of some of Travis machines still going - same as the electric drive versions though I've not seen one recently in a shop.
ctmaybury

I ran 6 8 inch pipe joints in 6g position today with the vantage 300. I couldn't tell the difference with the open root pass from my old miller dialarc hf, but when it came to the hot pass, I loved the control I had with the vantage. The arcforce adjustment seems to give great control to the bead profile. I'm using 5p+ 6010 1/8 inch for everything as I don't have any 8010 to work with. I'm going to try some 7018 fill and cap tomorrow. I haven't tried many types of machines, so I don't have much to compare to yet. I'd love to try a classic or an sae 300. I'd also like to try a pipe pro 350. Chances are they are all great pipe welders, just a bit different in the controls.
Hobart handler 187
Oxy acetylene