Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:55 pm

I am a beginner with under 1 hour torch time who is looking to learn TIG welding for in-house prototype production so I am not looking to be a all around welder.

Machine will be used for aftermarket automotive parts such as;

Exhaust manifolds
Intercooler Piping
Cooler Fabrication [intercooler/coolant/oil etc..]
Overflow-Expansion tank fabrication

Local Miller dealer sold all of their Dynasty DX 210-280s but I got the Coolmate 1.3 and the RFCS-14HD wired foot control and I want to reserve a machine in the next shipment so I need to decide which machine I will get.

Salesperson thought that they had a 280 DX on display and gave me a much better discount on that unit but apparently they even sold the display unit but dealer will honor their pricing on 280 DX because he supposed to spare a 210 DX for me.

My concern is, does 210 DX and 280 DX will perform same on low amperage welds ? I am asking this because on Miller's web site 210 DX is rated for 0.002 in. (0.05 mm) steel welds and 280 DX is rated for 0.004 in. (0.1 mm) steel welds. Does they have the same arc performance/quality ? Long story short, does 210 DX have any advantages over 280 DX ? or are they practically same machines with different amperage rating ?

I have also ordered a CK Flex-Loc FL230 water cooled torch with adapter and 3M 9100XXi welding helmet.

Thanks
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

They are essentially the same machine with the upper amperage capabilities, but the 280 does NOT run on 120v where the 210 can. Both will run 1- or 3- phase.

My decision would be based upon the need to weld thick aluminum. If you will regularly weld 1/4" or thicker ally, the 280 would be highly recommended. The 210 will do it, but it will be at full capacity to do so. Either new machines will have the variable wave forms and frequency settings, both should have 1 amp arc start too.

The 210 has a $500 rebate right now, but I'd still opt for the 280 if you can afford it. These guys usually have the best prices on equipment, and are very good to deal with for Customer Service and Support: www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com
https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/ ... der-907551

You only need to buy the power supply since you have work leads and a remote pedal.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

1A DC/2A on AC for the 280s. Purty darn good. :)
    Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:45 am

You are going to be doing the same type of work I do at my shop. Because of that the 210 DX will be enough machine for your work. The lowest amp setting I have ever needed was 25 amps for some thin titanium. When going intercoolers Im not more than 175 amps. With the Dynasties the beauty is using the balance and frequency to achieve better penetration with aluminum.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

I like the headroom that the 280 offers on the top end for aluminum. The low end is great and you can really soften the starts if you need to for the thin stuff.