General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
OzFlo
    Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:16 pm

So I bought a full sheet of 304 grade stainless from a bloke on e bay for some projects I have in the pipeline, measuring 2400 x 1200 x 1.6mm thick ( 8' x 4' x 1/16" thick for the metrically challenged) for $120 Aussie dinari.. good price I thought. Anyway on Saturday I went and picked it up and something didn't look quite right.. The aspect ratio was all wrong.. it looked too narrow..

After honouring the purchase price and completing the transaction I headed home and promptly measured said sheet, only to discover that the sheet was indeed 1200mm wide. What I confirmed a matter of seconds hence was that the sheet was in fact NOT 2400mm long, but 3000mm (10') long! Additional practice material for free! Score! Now Mr Furick, I thinks I'd better get me one of those little glass cups of yours! :D
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Well done!

And yes, I can highly recommend the Furick cups, they are awesome and worth the dollars. Happy practising!

Moz
OzFlo

Hey Kym!

Good to see you mate! Yes I can see a FUPA 12 in my near future!

It's funny because the first project that I want to use the 304 for is a coolant tank for a torch water cooler. I have a lovely little CK20 that is crying out to be used but is redundant without a cooler. It would be perfect for this job but I'll have to use the heavy old 26 air cooled torch instead..

Flo

Good score, looking forward to the project pics
Richard
Website
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

OzFlo wrote:Hey Kym!

Good to see you mate! Yes I can see a FUPA 12 in my near future!

It's funny because the first project that I want to use the 304 for is a coolant tank for a torch water cooler. I have a lovely little CK20 that is crying out to be used but is redundant without a cooler. It would be perfect for this job but I'll have to use the heavy old 26 air cooled torch instead..

Flo

Hey Flo, yeah, good to catch up again.

A cooler, you say? Hmmm...I have a lovely little Procon pump in a safe place thanks to someone! How come life gets in the way and I've not yet built the cooler? :oops:

Moz
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

This is why
SH.jpg
SH.jpg (11.6 KiB) Viewed 865 times
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
OzFlo

MosquitoMoto wrote:

Hey Flo, yeah, good to catch up again.

A cooler, you say? Hmmm...I have a lovely little Procon pump in a safe place thanks to someone! How come life gets in the way and I've not yet built the cooler? :oops:

Moz
Indeed I did.. I have cut the sections for the tank but need to clean them up to improve the fit up. A "straight" cut with a grinder doesn't always come out straight! I also now have my furick cup and some 1.6mm 308L rod turned up in the post today. :D

Looking forward to seeing yours when it's done. Mine will happen progressively but it IS in progress!

@Coldman... so true mate!
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

I made a tank out of .9mm copper for my cooler. Used the goofy big 26 air cooled that came with the welder. If there was one project that could have used the the little CK water cooled torch it was that one.
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
OzFlo

Rupes wrote:I made a tank out of .9mm copper for my cooler. Used the goofy big 26 air cooled that came with the welder. If there was one project that could have used the the little CK water cooled torch it was that one.
I remember your copper tank! That thing looked awesome. Those 26 air cooled torches are just cumbersome.. Probably wouldn't be such a problem with a lightweight cable.

Rupes whereabouts in Sydney are you from? I'm over near Mascot..
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Coldman wrote:This is why
SH.jpg
I suspect Motox and Greintime will both appreciate that shirt as much as I do.

Steve